1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How does the Pokemon XY series compare to other anime in-general?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Double Accel!

And Paul decides to mistreat his Pokémon because his brother lost a battle (and that too against the strongest Frontier head, not a scrub)? That's an even worse reason.

2. shoz999

shoz999 It's a Brooklyn episode. So turn on the subtitles.

Your reasoning just reminded me of the depressing reasoning behind why so many people with different jobs have a lot of Pokemon. They failed at becoming Pokemon trainers in their youth early on. I still remember the Hiker from Pokemon Adventures BW who was proof of this, an old man desperately trying to join the Pokemon League but became stuck at Route 1 as a bystanding Pokemon trainer watching for weaker trainers to beat, only to lose miserably. Pretty depressing when you think about it but yeah. That same reasoning can't really be applied to Paul's brother. He didn't lose to some scrubs but a single powerful trainer he could've worked hard again to beat like Ash does.

You know what Paul's brother should do? He should do what Black does lol from Pokemon Adventures! Stand on a high viewpoint and YELL OUT TO THE WORLD of his dreams EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!

3. Redstar45

Redstar45 The Fire type master !

No Paul should be fine the way he is .

4. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Paul. He was wrong.
    I didn't say it wasn't, but that does not give anyone the right to take their frustrations out on others.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  5. shoz999

True but it explains a lot.

6. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

He's Wally.

7. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Final Destination me, you *****.

Sawyer's not sick, adorable, or an inspiration.

Oh, and without a sweet battle theme.

8. LilligantLewis

I'm surprised you chose to type out all 6 characters of the word Sawyer instead of just SSS.

9. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

The thing is however, that the anime has very often shown that characters that are experienced and matured in their own field aren't necessarily fully grown up in other regards. This is often the problem with toning down and 'developing' a character in that they become so laid back and sagely that there's barely anything of their old character left, even on a realistic sense. People don't really lose flaws, they just better learn to control them. It's kind of a case of 'reality is unrealistic' since very often old habits do naturally still perk up every now and then, while in cartoons this often treated as a snap back and the character not learning their lesson.

Yes Ash should probably be underplayed a bit as he develops but at the same time you don't have to make him totally void of his original personality, in other words, intentionally idealise him and make him blander.

If anything one of the things I prefer about the other series is that the dynamic is usually more even handed. Even in episodes Ash is a dimwit he's usually paired with or against characters that are either hypocrites in that regard (eg. Misty, Iris) or are more intellectual but still have defects in other areas (eg. Brock, Cilan) so everyone gets a moment of clarity. I feel like there was a start here early on, with Clemont being an experienced gym leader and a gadgeteer genius, but also insecure and blundering, a full on brains vs brawn (or heart) contrast to Ash, but after a while, Ash got put on a pedestal more and more over Clemont and his stiffly written personality meant they could never really take advantage of the dynamic fully. This is something I think SM did at least a bit better due to Ash having a clearer set of foibles and eccentricities, while also maintaining his experience and confidence, so the issue of clarity is still pretty even handed against Ash and his more educated class mates like Lillie and Sophocles.

10. AuraChannelerChris

Eh. He had his limelight. Now he's just some conflicted kid with strong emotions for some other kid to me. Ha ha.

11. LilligantLewis

anyway the new SSS is Shiron "Snowball" Snowy.

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  12. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

No no, it's the Super Special Satoshi Search and Smash Squad. :p

13. AznKei

AznKei Getting ready for Pump It Up XX.

That would be SSSS&SS, and that's sure alot of Ss.

14. LilligantLewis

It's 6 S's and six also starts with S.

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  15. shoz999

Nope this is Wally. This scene here alone shows that Wally and Sawyer are two very different friendly rivals.
    [​IMG]

16. AuraChannelerChris

That's comic Wally, you dingus.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  17. shoz999

And it does a good job of capturing Wally's character as a ill frail boy whose parents tell them they can't have a Pokemon who will eventually become the confident young experienced trainer whose illness seems to somehow slowly disappeared over time. Way different from Sawyer. That and badass theme music.

18. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I consider him a combination of Wally and Brendan (the male player character), although mostly of the later.

If you notice the patterns on his outfit and the silhouette, his look is based on Brendan (much like Ash's was based on Red with a few of Calem's thrown in the mix). He started on Littleroot and got his starter - which ain't a Ralts - from Birch much like the PC.

I think the only similarities to Wally is the whole "you gotta have green hair" thing, the friendly rival with significant growth and the youngish look thing.

Except he is adorable. And I don't see how Wally would be an inspiration...

But agreed about battle theme. ORAS did wonders for Wally with that song. I've never used to care about the games' music - not my cup of tea - until I heard that.

Nah, the next thing is SSSS as the Gridman anime has proved.

19. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

> People thinking Wally's terrible encounter theme that is too short, doesn't loop properly, goes nowhere in its composition and doesn't fit a battle at all is "a good song"

Ahahaha, life's wonders never cease

As for XY compared to other anime...eh, it has its niche, but it's no Naruto, Shippuden, Boruto, Dragon Ball Super, or many other anime at the time

Compared to the rest of the pokémon anime, it's leaps ahead in terms of music, story, and characters though

20. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

We are refering to that theme from ORAS, when we met Wally before taking on the E4.