1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How does the Pokemon XY series compare to other anime in-general?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Dec 31, 2018.

1. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

Comparing XY to them, I would rather say that all Pokemon series except for maybe DP are on par of them and the more worse ones on par with Dragonball GT.

2. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Well, Dragon Ball, maybe, but no way any pokémon anime can be compared to Naruto.

3. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why you go into such an extensive argument about Ash’s characterization in response to an observation I noticed between Red and Ash. Bland or not bland, there is no denying what happened to Ash in XY is what happened to Red post-Gen I. I personally found it amusing and fitting.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  4. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

because it's all he knows how to do

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  5. AznKei

AznKei Getting ready for Pump It Up XX.

I like Dragon Ball Super more than Pokemon XY. At least, there's continuities and the main characters outside of Goku got more of their positive spotlights compared to Ash's companions in which they get replaced after each series. And I might be biased but I like more Goku than Ash.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  6. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I don't even know what's the all ''bland personality'' thing about. OS Ash was funny, but I don't have no problem with a badass Ash too. What's really the issue? XY Ash still was impulsive, clueless, glutton, just a little more serious and mature. It's called character development.

7. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I could argue the problem started more shrewdly in BW (which if anything is the opposite direction with Ash) but got worse and worse as XY went on, in that it's not just Ash is more serious, but he seems....'stone faced'. The result of the focus being more of others seeing THROUGH him, he himself doesn't feel as responsive and often just gives off the same stilted dialogue and reactions like an automated message. Just too many responses from him which are variations of the same quote or completely buzzkill the whole thing.

Ash was truthfully pretty bad for interactions in the BW/XY era, and I think as much of some liking SM Ash is not just because he is more fallible again but because he is emotive like in the earlier series, having distinctive or spontaneous interactions and two-way chemistries and just feeling like he has a natural self-aware personality again. The only thing he is still 'automated' against is bad guys, though even that he still has arguably more exceptions where he plays into the dynamic than he did in XY.

8. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

So what? It's called character development. He became a role model. It makes no sense for him to be impressed by any little thing like in SM after all he saw and did. He don't being a clown is not a issue.

Buzzkill? Dude, he partipated in most things in the show. He had fun too.

9. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

What exactly about the characters in XY makes them “leaps ahead” compared to the characters in other sagas? Just how??

10. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Clemont kind of became a background character after his gym battle until the Team Flare Arc. (Bonnie had done more than him.)

Serena had that Showcase thing going on... that was basically watered down contest. The big thing with Serena is her kissing Ash.... on her terms, entirely on her and it seemed Ash had only realized it and STILL kept her in the friend zone. (I spoke my gripes with her enough already! I don't hate her character, but I hate how she was written.)

As for Ash, he was a repeat of the same gig three times over.

I don't care if they call Ash's portrayal in XY character development from past series. The random kid watching XYZ "Aka the target audience." wouldn't know how he was like in past series and would switch to Yo-kai Watch in a heart beat when they see that XYZ Ash remained the same boring character throughout that series, save for getting a power boost in pokemon.

Yo-kai Watch, the Pokemon Manga and Digimon did something the Pokemon Anime should have done a decade ago as a new extension to the series came knocking. Guess what it is!

Think about what it means through the kids mind and look at each series like it is its own. Away from the continuity bubble SAVE for if it is going to be brought up, see each series as their own. There will be things you would appreciate with that better light and things you will find out about when you find the cracks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  11. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

He had the same hyper nuts enthusiasm in XY, but that wasn't all to his character in other series. He seemed to respond to other characters' personalities and be a bit snarky or jaded or bewildered. They got different reactions from him. I mean his chemistry with Clemont basically amounted to that same stupid catchphrase over and over (even Serena got more moments of questioning or being sarcastic towards Clemont and her own chemistry with him was infamously sporadic), while with Sophocles and Lillie we see other emotions from him, spontaneous ones not amounting to running gags or a by-the-numbers form of quips.

The only time I remember him showing a tint of his usual self was the Pokevision episode, where he was pretty jaded about being victim to Fennekin's nasty temper.