• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How dumb is the AI?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I think they are smart but not smart enough. I have seen, occasionally, AI switch out for a better pokemon, but this was usually after 4 - 5 turns anyway.

Bottom line for me is this, if you are 8 or younger they might be tough. If not, they suck.

I don't recall having an trouble with battles when I was 8. The toughest would have been trainers like Whitney or something. The AI is just really easy, you don't even need to use type advantages. But that's the way it's always been and I'm sure that's the way the majority of Pokemon fans want it.

It would be neat if they gave a Pokemon game a 'Master Quest' treatment, I'd like to give that a try.

Trainer Emily

Fairies do exist!!!
Can't think much too of moments where AI became more retarded than a sick amoeba...

But besides wild pokemon, which always use moves in random (Geodude uses explosion against Gastly, etc.)...
I think most regular trainers from Battle Factory are stupider than those from the other facilities (always using earthquake against flyers/levitaters, same status move against Pokemon with the same status ailment, leech seed against grass, etc...)
That also includes Emerald Battle Factory.
But Frontier Brains always have the (D'uh...) Brains

Rezzo

Occasionally
I would agree that the AI is pretty dumb sometimes. But I could swear that later in the Battle Frontier (when the "harder" trainers come out) that the AI is stepping ahead of me and actually knowing what move I have just chosen, and countering me ridiculously lucky.

For example, lets say I sent out a Vaporeon, and my opponent sent out a Walrein. My opponent knows Surf, Ice Beam, Rest Sleep Talk. My Vappy knows surf, Ice Beam, Wish, and Toxic. Lets say my opponent helplessly spams Ice Beam my Vaporeon 6 times, as I try to wear down my opponent with Toxic. As my opponent wouldn't use Surf on a Vaporeon, I assume that a switch would be safe right now, so I send out Blaziken, who can take a "not very effective" Ice Beam, but NO!

The opponent uses Surf and defeats my Blaziken in one hit... I don't know if the AI just gets too lucky sometimes or if they're using my decisions to their advantage by being "psychic".

-Red-

The AI overall isn't so bright. For example, once I was catching a few Hippowdon and even though they could have used Double-Edge to give me a hard time(I used a level 48 Staraptor to weaken them and they were about level 52-54),the Hippowdon kept spamming earthquake on my Staraptor. But sometimes that's a good thing if you want easy catching.

GengarNightmare

Most trainers I face in the Tower/Frontier will switch if their Pokemon falls asleep.
Really? The only time that happens to me is when the pokemon has natural cure (like Roserade and Blissey). Other than that, the AI seems to only have a few basic strategies such as Sub-seed , sub-punch, hypnosis-dream eater, and other combos. Switching always seems random to me.

Tiomasta

Not amused
Yeah, I played at the Arcade today(got golden printz!!1!1) and noticed that if you status someone with Natural Cure, the AI will recklessly withdraw them.

And hahah, they were exactly the ones you mentioned: Roserade and Blissey, in that order.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
The AI overall isn't so bright. For example, once I was catching a few Hippowdon and even though they could have used Double-Edge to give me a hard time(I used a level 48 Staraptor to weaken them and they were about level 52-54),the Hippowdon kept spamming earthquake on my Staraptor. But sometimes that's a good thing if you want easy catching.

Yeah, I swear that stupid AI will never learn! It always seems to use earthquake on a flying type! Silly AI, Earthquake is for land creatures!

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
Rematch Gym Leaders/FB's have a good brain... For example: I tried to use my Arceus against Volkner's Jolteon (Training purposes,) Jolteon was actually smart enough to use Quick Attack on my Arceus (Ground Type(Wouldn't make a difference though :p.)) Thus proving my point...

But wild pokemon are idiotic... I was try to catch a Female Wobbufett... I wasn't attacking... and it kept using Mirror Coat! God...

EDIT: Forgot none of Wobbufett's moveset doesn't work against a pokemon that doesn't attack... But still! Some pokemon spam one move! And it may not even hit the f***in pokemon!

Last edited:

Xpoison

<-- favorite pokemon
yeah the AI only uses string shot caterpies and level 20 magikarps only use spash...

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Oh, yeah one time I was trying to capture a Feebas in Mt. Coronet, and I used 5 Premier Balls and caught it. It used splash the whole time! And turns out after capturing it it did have tackle! Stupid AI!

Giratina93

King of the Koopas
The AI in the games is somewhat smart, but there are times wen the CPU's just absolutly retarded. When I battled Cynthia, I sent out my Yanmega against her Garchomp. Uh, Ms. Champion, I tink you forgot that Brick Break does 1/4 damage to Bug/Flying types...

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
The AI is generally not very smart, until you get to the E4 and gym rematches. They get smarter.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Ok, I just had a perfect dumb AI moment. I was replaying the e4 to train my Dragonite. It was at level 58. Cynthia sends out her Garchomp. I EV trained the Dragonite in Sp.Def, not normal so I was getting worried. The stupid thing uses BRICK BREAK! I was extremely amused by that. :D