• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

how far do you think merchandising should go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
a lot of people seem to think an anime series (or even American series and movies) is "wh*ring itself out" when they see too much merchandise based on said franchise. However, merchandising is essential for making profits. In your opinion, how far do you think merchandising should go before it crosses the "wh*ring out" line?

The way I see it, DVDs or manga volumes are a given. People should have access to an archive of the storyline (same goes for soundtrack CDs). Action figures and dolls, well, some people would like to play with some physical representation of their favorite characters and/or put them on a three-dimensional display. And as a gamer, let me say that it'd be a crying shame to not take some of the flashy and/or unique moves shown in several action series and incorporate them into some kind of fighter or RPG or something. I sure as hell would like to play as Kuchiki Byakuya and kill some poor sap with Senbonzakura Kageyoshi, so video games (and likewise, card games) are good in that regard. And though I'm not too hot on them myself, T-shirts and other articles of clothing or accessories, because there's simply a demand for fashion designs sporting everyone's favorite characters.

Now, when they start slapping characters' faces on any expendible, everyday item you could name, be it bread packages, candy shapes, engravings on bars of soap, or toilet paper, that's when I think it starts getting a bit friggin' ridiculous.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I never much liked Action Figures but hey, they look really neat on display. My grandmother had a complete or almost complete collection of Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle Action Figures and she had lined an entire room of her house with it. I agree throw away stuff really doesn't need it. Not mention all you're paying for is the name.

Though let's reverse it. I don't think it happens as much in Japan as it does here. What about companies using movies and television shows to advertise for other companies (by having their logo or merchandise in the movie or show).

XBebop

We Are Nerd
The naruto headbands and FMA's gloves are going too far

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Yamato-san said:
a lot of people seem to think an anime series (or even American series and movies) is "wh*ring itself out" when they see too much merchandise based on said franchise. However, merchandising is essential for making profits. In your opinion, how far do you think merchandising should go before it crosses the "wh*ring out" line?

The way I see it, DVDs or manga volumes are a given. People should have access to an archive of the storyline (same goes for soundtrack CDs). Action figures and dolls, well, some people would like to play with some physical representation of their favorite characters and/or put them on a three-dimensional display. And as a gamer, let me say that it'd be a crying shame to not take some of the flashy and/or unique moves shown in several action series and incorporate them into some kind of fighter or RPG or something. I sure as hell would like to play as Kuchiki Byakuya and kill some poor sap with Senbonzakura Kageyoshi, so video games (and likewise, card games) are good in that regard. And though I'm not too hot on them myself, T-shirts and other articles of clothing or accessories, because there's simply a demand for fashion designs sporting everyone's favorite characters.

The only two series that I would go out of my way to get other than the DVDs for anime and volumes for manga are Berserk and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I would kill for the lone Berserk artbook to be brought over, and I would appreciate it if more than just the "Der Mond" artbook was brought over for Evangelion. Hell, I'm willing to shell out some money for imports of figures if I have some money lying around and I don't really have anything to spend it on.

That sad, I would think that it would be reasonable for someone who is a serious fan of any series/OVA/movie to buy out not just the source material, but also soundtrack CDs, artbooks, original cells (well, back when they were around, at least), posters, and even figures of the anime. Anything beyond that scope is a bit... asinine, to say the least.

Now, when they start slapping characters' faces on any expendible, everyday item you could name, be it bread packages, candy shapes, engravings on bars of soap, or toilet paper, that's when I think it starts getting a bit friggin' ridiculous.

I've come across Evangelin toothpaste and perfume. I don't really think that there is a limit to what can be put out because we're going to have people who are going to eat it up.

The Big Al said:
Though let's reverse it. I don't think it happens as much in Japan as it does here. What about companies using movies and television shows to advertise for other companies (by having their logo or merchandise in the movie or show).

Eh, the concept that you're referring to is correct to my limited knowledge, but sizable part of the anime industry over in Japan absolutely thrives on merchandise.

To me Trigun has the perfect way of marketing that's not too far and not too shallow either.

Anyway I in a way agree with Yamato san about how it's needed in order for it to thrive on. but also consider other Marketing ploys- color, title styles etc. these also help support and attract fans( and pecticularly younger kids) to a series for them to like. DBZ, Pokemon, Yugi OH, Naruto, (not too much on One Piece but I could be wrong on that) all have that technique. Even in America they do same thing with Superman(use big colors of bright blue, red, yellow, and other bright colors) etc.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
I WANT NARUTO TOILET PAPER!!

Just make me some CDs, DVDs, shirts(in adult size...tired of just seeing kids wear that stuff), boxers/underwear...

...And Fruit snackies and cereals. Must have Naruto fruit snackers!

Chris

Old Coot
XBebop said:
The naruto headbands and FMA's gloves are going too far
Someone's obviously unaware of those who cosplay.

You want slightly going far? Try Dragon Ball Z/GT and Sailor Moon eyedrops. :)

Seriously, advertising in Japan is really no different from that in the western culture. They're just more open about it. When something's merchandised in the US, you're guaranteed books, DVDs, video games, action figures, soundtracks and so forth. Japan just happens to know that if you slap a logo on something, people will buy it.

Clio

Meow
Well, you can't really get rid of merchanding nowadays. Because licenced goods = profit. And the producers want money.

Although some products might go a little overboard. Action figures, I'm fine with that. The shirts are interesting. Coffeemugs... I can live with that. But yeah, toilet paper is just too much. And don't even get me started on the pillows...

Not that it makes that much of a diference to me, since most of the anime goodies being sold in my country are bootlegged, anyway. :p

Double_Edge

Cool Lander
I think merchandising should go as far as the creator would want. If you created an amazingly popular anime, I'm sure you'd want as much products out so you could make money off of it. But toilet paper and stuff like, toothpaste do kinda cross the line.

Ridley-X4

UN-LTD AWESOME WORKS
I've seen Evangelion soap dishes. :|

*ROFLcopter flies overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.