1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How far do you think Pokemon will go?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Crimson101, Mar 16, 2012.

?

Will it keep going?

Poll closed May 14, 2012.
  1. Yes

132 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Not Sure

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Crimson101

Crimson101 Cooler Than Red

This one is quite simple. I as a fan of the show and the concept I enjoy it. I've always wondered if Pokemon will ever end. Some might have wondered this too probably. o.o

Just give a straight answer on how far do you think Pokemon will go. Feel free to use as many details as you want. You can say how many gens it will go up to or whatever. I guess this question also asks when will it end? Kinda. Make your answer as original as possible. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. PinkViper

PinkViper Beautiful Darkness

I heard a pretty useless rumor floating about that the Pokemon franchise might end around the 7th gen.

Personally, I love the franchise although the anime to me... could use a little more work when it pertains to older viewers who might not find it as entertaining as they once did. I really don't want the games to end, but I'm assuming the franchise will stop when fans get tired of the repetitive (but still really fun) gameplay or the designs for the pokemon begin lacking in creativity. There have been loads of butthurt and upset after the 2nd generation with the pokemon appearances, and even more with Vanilite's lines and Trubbish's lines in the B/W sagas. I doubt that's gonna stop, since fanbrats ALWAYS find something to complain about. If I had to guess, I'd say 8th gen is a pretty good estimate for the least; 10 being the longest. <3

3. Serebii!

Serebii! Well-Known Member

I would love to see a 7th generation with a total of about 800 Pokemon

4. Ash Ketchum!

Ash Ketchum! Pokemon Trainer

Pokemon as a game could go on for a long time, as long as the developers keep having fresh new ideas. The anime is questionable, how long can the writers keep stalling Ash from winning a league?

5. Crimson101

Hmm stalling out ash's victory never thought of it like that. Nice o.o

6. rocky505

rocky505 Well-Known Member

*Looks at Mario and other old school nintendo games* Forever!

7. Lickilicky.my.Skitty

Lickilicky.my.Skitty Since Red & Blue!

Niiiicee. But none of the new/recent Mario games compare to old school Mario. I don't want Pkmn to be overdone like this.

Honestly, I'd love to see them make around a 1,000 pokemon and call it good. So 9, 10 generations?

8. PinkViper

I totally agree. I'd like to think 1,000 is a good even number to end on; seeing as it'll give the fans more of what they want while still ending in a decent way... I can't stand when good games are viewed badly because they were dragged on past their end.... Poor Sonic...

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The only correct answer is "as far as the money takes it." It will continue until it no longer makes money, and that day, if it ever comes, is a very, very long way away.

Any other answers, including those that try to identify a specific generation or specific number of Pokémon as being the endpoint, are just noise.

10. Crimson101

C'mon man don't be a buzzkill. You never know they might be right ya'know :3

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I know people like to hang on to these romantic notions of their favorite properties being artistic labors of love that subsist on the goodwill of the fans, but that's not the case. Pokémon is a property operated by a business, the purpose of the former being to generate revenue for the latter, which exists for the purpose of making money. In short, Pokémon is itself a business, and like any business, it will have no reason to cease until the money dictates it do so. "You never know they might be right" is not an argument.

Pointing out this inherent reality does not constitute "being a buzzkill" at all.

12. crystalzapdos

crystalzapdos J.J. Swatt

More recent Mario games are just as good as they always have been. I don't know why people always love whats first.

On topic, I don't know why people always ask this queston with Pokemon. Its the second best selling series of all time, it won't end any time soon. Would Nintendo just suddenly stop making Mario games because "Its done?" No, it makes too much money. Same applys for Pokemon. It'll end when it stops making money, which isn't anytime soon. Even if it gets "overdone" they'll still make it if it makes money.

13. PinkViper

Eh... in a sense I'd have to agree with you both; however I'm not so sure if the point of this thread was to focus on stone-hard fact... moreso what one would desire, or maybe even just fictional guesses... for whimsy's sake y'know?

14. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

Pretty much.

Sure, the amount of pokemon can get overwhelming at some point, but they don't care if they add "too much". Certainly the kids they actually target the games at won't think that it's too much. Neither will a lot of casual players. All having "too much" could hurt is competitive pokemon, but I don't think that's really going to happen soon, and even so, the company wouldn't care.

I don't want to see "Gotta catch 'em all" used against me, either. The video game at least has already dropped that motto.

15. jewellalw

jewellalw Member

very good ,up you !!! g.gif

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. gameboy350

gameboy350 Back from the depths

They won't stop making pokemon games if you keep buying them......

17. richm88

richm88 shiny hunter

I dont think they will stop in the near future but surely at some point we are going to have to catch like a 1000 pokemon and that wil become too tedious and time consuming,unless they make all the pokemon easier to catch.
    it would also wreck the competitive side of it too as there will be so much to choose from

18. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Neither of those is any sort of problem or contributing/prohibitive factor.

19. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

^I was saying that "too many" pokemon wasn't really a problem, as it's one of the most common "pokemon should stop" arguments I've seen in my life.

I'd be seriously confused if Gamefreak decided to stop pokemon.

20. tayetayetv1

tayetayetv1 Well-Known Member

i think it will end soon with 1000 pokemon and the final season should be called pokemon generations and they should bring back all the females that ash has traveled with over the seasons and they have a reuion with brock and cilan as well but iwill miss cilan and iris and the little starter pokemon when 6th gen comes around