• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How far do you think Pokemon will go?

Will it keep going?

• Yes

Votes: 132 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Somehow, I don't see Pokémon going much further. In my opinion, I think the quality of the games has continued to go down and they have more than enough Pokémon now. I think we may see a generation six game, but I can't see the game being as popular as it used to be. Saying that, the younger kids probably still enjoy each game as much as the others, so who knows?! They're the ones who the franchise will make the most money from anyway!

gliscor&yanmega

Whenever I die...Pokemon wont even be half way done, and I have around 60-70 years of life left most likely, if I die of old age. Times like this I wish there is an afterlife so I can play the generations to come after my death D: although I suppose if the stop before those 60-70 years then I wouldn't have any problem but...I'm being realistic here :p

So basically, I can't see it ending, I see it lasting a long long time.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I think Pokemon has gone far enough!

cantab

Well, the first anime episode was broadcast in Japan in 1997. The signals from that episode, like all broadcast television signals, will have radiated out into space. By now, Pokemon will have reached stars within 15 light years of Earth. Two are known to have planets: the oft-fictionalised Epsilon Eridani, and Gliese 674. It'll keep going, of course, reaching more and more systems.

BCVM22

i think it will end soon with 1000 pokemon and the final season should be called pokemon generations and they should bring back all the females that ash has traveled with over the seasons and they have a reuion with brock and cilan as well but iwill miss cilan and iris and the little starter pokemon when 6th gen comes around

Somehow, I don't see Pokémon going much further. In my opinion, I think the quality of the games has continued to go down and they have more than enough Pokémon now. I think we may see a generation six game, but I can't see the game being as popular as it used to be.

I think Pokemon has gone far enough!

See, these are just noise. Bubbles in the ether. Is this really what you believe?

That they will specifically choose an arbitrary number like 1,000 and end the series when the bestiary hits that number, despite how little sense that makes?

That the series "won't go much further" because you believe "the quality of the games has continued to go down", despite the fact that there's no objective metric that can verify that and the only metric that really matters - sales - has continued to say otherwise in continuing and prolific fashion?

That the series has "gone far enough", despite everything wrong with that statement?

Again, if people want to say "well, it's my opinion that Pokémon will end when...", fine, but there's one metric that matters and that metric continues to indicate that the series will keep going until it simply can't anymore, independent of number of Pokémon, the "quality of the games" or whatever else one chooses to erroneously (sorry, it's true) use as a means of trying to divine when the series will end.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Well, the first anime episode was broadcast in Japan in 1997. The signals from that episode, like all broadcast television signals, will have radiated out into space. By now, Pokemon will have reached stars within 15 light years of Earth. Two are known to have planets: the oft-fictionalised Epsilon Eridani, and Gliese 674. It'll keep going, of course, reaching more and more systems.

This is the best answer yet.

Anyway, I have no idea where Pokemon is going to stop, and personally I think it still has a lot of life left (I think Pokemon like Vanilish and Garbodor are quite creative, personally), but I can see them ending with around 1000 Pokemon, or just over that, just because it's a nice round number. But it's just as likely that they'll go right no beyond that.

As for the anime (since someone brought it up), since Ash is slowly creeping towards winning the League, I'm guessing he's going to get there and get through the Champion league around the time of the next Unova-style reboot, and they're going to swap him out for a new character then. That's what I think would work best anyway.

BCVM22

I'm guessing he's going to get there and get through the Champion league around the time of the next Unova-style reboot, and they're going to swap him out for a new character then. That's what I think would work best anyway.

People have been absolutely positive of this for the last four regions.

Just saying.

randomspot555

I heard a pretty useless rumor floating about that the Pokemon franchise might end around the 7th gen.

No, you didn't. A "rumor" in any other situation is where a reputable source leaks something but covers up their identity. In video game fandom, a "rumor" is basically a way to add "fan wish list" so that it has some credibility.

Personally, I love the franchise although the anime to me... could use a little more work when it pertains to older viewers who might not find it as entertaining as they once did.

These older viewers are the minority.

These older viewers will have to accept the fact that they are no longer 10 and it is no longer 1999.

The games, like most video games, will end when they stop selling. Though Pokemon, as part of a major video game maker, will likely continue to make appearances in Nintendo franchises such as the sports games, Smash Bros, etc...

Somehow, I don't see Pokémon going much further. In my opinion, I think the quality of the games has continued to go down and they have more than enough Pokémon now. I think we may see a generation six game, but I can't see the game being as popular as it used to be. Saying that, the younger kids probably still enjoy each game as much as the others, so who knows?! They're the ones who the franchise will make the most money from anyway!

Bold: Then how do new games continue to break sales records?

This is something else that annoys me about the nostalgia freaks. They project their negative views of non Gen I/II games and apply it to others, assuming that kids can't possibly be attracted to "LOL ICE CREAMZ POKEMANZ?????" or whatnot.

Last edited:

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
This is the best answer yet.

Anyway, I have no idea where Pokemon is going to stop, and personally I think it still has a lot of life left (I think Pokemon like Vanilish and Garbodor are quite creative, personally), but I can see them ending with around 1000 Pokemon, or just over that, just because it's a nice round number.

I think 789 is a "nice number", so it should end there.

Why does everyone answer 1000? What about 1000 screams, "The end of Pokemon!!!"

The only possible answer is when it stops making money, which isn't any time soon.

Last edited:

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
FUREVUR AND EVUR.

I'm not even kidding. Pokemon is just as successful as Mario, so...yeah.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Bold: Then how do new games continue to break sales records?
This is something else that annoys me about the nostalgia freaks.

I was looking at it from the perspective of an older person, so I guess that was kind of wrong. But if you read the sentence directly after the one you quoted, I clearly stated that it isn't the case for younger children. It should also be noted that I made it clear that my post was only an opinion. I wasn't stating any facts. Although I still do believe that Pokémon isn't as big a craze for the younger generation as it was 10 or so years ago for the younger generation then.

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

If Nintendo and Gamefreak are really that desperate, they can check out some ideas that fans made on YouTube, Deviantart, or some other place. Seriously, they're great. Especially when they're running out of ideas.

Burakoru

Belly Slide
^ Yeah, I can see AT LEAST 2 more generations of pokemon for people to bag on Use, not to mention spin offs, so it will be a while until this series falls.

Also, to DefaultisAwesome, they can't take ideas from fans,..............I should know.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
If Nintendo and Gamefreak are really that desperate, they can check out some ideas that fans made on YouTube, Deviantart, or some other place. Seriously, they're great. Especially when they're running out of ideas.

I think Gamefreak has better things to do with thier time then watch Youtube. They won't run out of ideas."

SmeargleArtist

I see dead people

That would be a great idea, I wonder if anyone from nintendo/GF looks at these forums...
If pokemon ends, then i'll cross that bridge when I come to it. And from looking at pokemon's popularity, I think that bridge is many, many miles away.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I think 789 is a "nice number", so it should end there.

Why does everyone answer 1000? What about 1000 screams, "The end of Pokemon!!!"

The only possible answer is when it stops making money, which isn't any time soon.

... What doesn't? It's a nice round number while something like 789 is just some random bunch of digits. And I said that it might continue on past that anyway, too. I don't know why you had to delete that sentence from the quote and pretend I hadn't said it when you replied.

randomspot555

I was looking at it from the perspective of an older person, so I guess that was kind of wrong. But if you read the sentence directly after the one you quoted, I clearly stated that it isn't the case for younger children. It should also be noted that I made it clear that my post was only an opinion. I wasn't stating any facts. Although I still do believe that Pokémon isn't as big a craze for the younger generation as it was 10 or so years ago for the younger generation then.

Yes, we all know Pokemon doesn't have the "fad" status it had in the US and Europe like it did circa 1999-2002. But one needs to only look at Japan where they have Pokemon centers and movies are sitll shown in theaters, annual tournaments have been held since Gen 4 across the world, and events via Wi-Fi and chain retail outlets are now more available than ever. There's plenty of evidence that the franchise is alive, well, and thriving.

That would be a great idea, I wonder if anyone from nintendo/GF looks at these forums...

Fan ideas are almost universally horrible. And that's assuming they're ever realistic (which most aren't). And do you really think PAID PROFESSIONALS need to steal ideas from some idiot teenager? Not to mention it'd be illegal to do that.

gliscor&yanmega

Well it's a good thing they aren't running out of ideas now and wont be any time soon. If they use an Ice Cream as a Pokemon...that really just opens up so many options to use.

How many species of Animals are there in the world? I'm sure there are plenty. Plus there's different breeds of Dogs and other Animals which is clearly being used already, which makes even more options.

How many different kind of Plants are there?

That alone gives them so many different possibly Pokemon creations, and there's still on the non-living things as well.

They'll never run out of ideas.

Last edited: