• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How far do you think Pokemon will go?

Will it keep going?

• Yes

Votes: 132 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlazeVGR

AKA: Shuckles
The only way I can answer this is: too far. I hope "they" don't take it too far, but I know they probably will.

Not to mention that even if they stop at 1000, they won't stop, if you know what I mean. First Gen: 151 pokemon. Second Gen: 251 pokemon. Fourth Gen would've stopped at 479 if not for the 14 legendaries.

Eighth Gen: 1001?

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Hmm... There really is no idea how far pokemon'll go IMO. I mean, the games are still pretty popular, and I think it'll be quite a while until pokemon starts to decline. The franchise is still going strong right now, no doubt.

Personally, if pokemon were to lose popularity sometime in the future (like 2025 or around), I think it'll probably last 7 or 8 generations (with around 1000 species in total)

piflare564

The Muffin Master
eventually the game will have to end. But i hope that it has a long future (even though they're running out of pokemon ideas XD)

Crimson101

Cooler Than Red
eventually the game will have to end. But i hope that it has a long future (even though they're running out of pokemon ideas XD)

Ikr? Flare <33 XD

cantab

Pokemon has the potential to be extraordinary like it was in the late 90's; there is no limit to what the human mind can imagine and develop, or return to and redevelop.
In theory yes. But I don't think it will realistically return to the "craze" levels it had before. It'll remain a major franchise, with the main series games being best-sellers that, in common with all major series, make advances that are evolutionary not revolutionary, while the spinoffs will be the home of new gameplay ideas. The anime meanwhile will in the west be a staple of children's TV. The cards will still be on newsagent shelves (I don't know how many they actually sell these days, and the manga will be a niche element of the franchise for western fans.

Basically, same old same old.

I think for Pokemon to come to an end would require at least two generations in a row to flop gamewise. I can only see one way for such a flop to happen, and that's if console-makers themselves fail to make a console that's attractive to and sells to the young gamers that are Pokemon's core market. Such a flop is showing no signs of happening any time soon.

Zachmac

I want proof they're running out of ideas.

How the heck can they be running out of ideas if they still haven't added a proper tiger yet? We've got Raikou, but that's a mix of a bunch of things. They only added a proper eagle this gen. There is limitless ideas, and fans think up plenty of things all the time. Oh, and look at fan ideas. If fans can think up so much, why can't the professionals? Also, if they were so low on ideas, why didn't they just make more eeveelutions and get it over with? Heck, in 5th gen, they refused to make new evolutions all together, even though that'd be easier then coming up with brand new ideas.

I'd live to see a ghost/grass type tumbleweed in the future. Maybe a normal/fire tiger. A flying/fighting falcon. Ect, ect.

Last edited:

AMV3021

Shiny Pokemon Hunter
I personally agree with the possible gen 9 or 10, but IMO i'd like them to make pkmn battles a bit more....what's the word....epic? exciting? And to give a few pkmn a decent new evolution to help em be better at battling. Ex. Delibird. As far as i know, the anime will keep going if more games are made. (just my opinion)

BlazikenBlitz

Blaziken Ninja
There are a ton of possibilities. There could be something that gets in Pokemon's way, but, where it's at, it'll go as long as it sells. Which is until something takes it's popularity away. I'll guess 11-12th Gen.

gliscor&yanmega

They aren't. 5th generation is proof of that(Even if some think it's proof they are running out of ideas).

So long as there is something in the real world, it has potential of being a Pokemon. There's countless amount of Animal species, plus when you factor in different types of Dogs, Cats, Birds, Fish, etc...they amount only increases. And that's just Animals, there are still Plants, and all sorts of non-living things.

cantab

Heck, in 5th gen, they refused to make new evolutions all together, even though that'd be easier then coming up with brand new ideas.
I won't believe Alomomola wasn't originally planned as a Luvdisc evo even if Game Freak claim it wasn't.

voicerocker

Platinum Master

Nothing about the 5th Generation implies that they are running out of ideas.

1.) We got 156 new Pokemon, 5 more than the very first generation. And none of them were connected to the previous 493.

2.) Kyurem's new formes. 2 new formes for a Legendary Pokemon that borrow features of 2 other Pokemon.

3.) Sequels instead of a "Gray Version".

All of this was unpredictable and very creative. There is also no reason that we won't see more Pokemon. This Earth has countless animals on it, so why should that mean that the number of Pokemon must have a limit?

As long as there are trainers to catch them, the Pokemon will be here.

randomspot555

So will Pokemon just vanish when they run out of ideas for the actual Pokemon? Or will they like end it once it makes no profit?

They aren't running out of ideas.

Newsflash: It is no longer 1999 and you are no longer 10. If you don't like the new designs, it suggests you've outgrowned Pokemon. Go play something else would be my suggestion.

. The anime meanwhile will in the west be a staple of children's TV.

I liked this post, and I want to emphasize this.

How many other children's television shows from 1999 are still making new episodes today?

Anybody?

Almost none. There's no shortage of video game, comic book, anime, and other children's programming that started then that is no longer on the air. Often ending after 1-2 seasons.

There aren't many ongoing television shows, period, that can claim that type of accomplishment.

This is a show that has gone above and beyond anyone industrial expectations. They thought it would air for one region, and it would only air in Japan. That it is still on, and in syndication, and has movies, and is still making new episodes, is nothing short of a major accomplishment for the Pokemon franchise.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
When the question is asked, I hear nothing but the Starman music from Mario.

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
I don't see the games ending any time soon as they are still very popular, but I wish the anime would just go away. >__<;

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
As long as there is a demand for it, they'll keep doing it. Where the anime is concerned, it needs serious work, I guess they dumbed it down so kids could get a better grasp of it.

I liked this post, and I want to emphasize this.

How many other children's television shows from 1999 are still making new episodes today?

Anybody?

Almost none.

Well, to be fair, Spongebob Squarepants also aired in 1999 and is still running today. Yu-Gi-Oh! began originally 1998 and was picked back up in 2000. Unless I'm wrong, the series is still going on. Fairly Odd Parents has picked back up lately. It began as TV shorts in 1998 before becoming a full-fledged series in 2001. I guess you could even count Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes, which each have a new series and began in 1960 and 1930, respectively.

Sorry, I just enjoyed looking up all those old shows, lol. But yeah, Pokemon will likely be an icon of children's TV.

As for my own answer to the thread, I personally thing that Pokemon will keep going as long as there is money to be made from it, and by the looks of it, there's still a ton of money to be made from it.

randomspot555

I don't see the games ending any time soon as they are still very popular, but I wish the anime would just go away. >__<;

As long as there is a demand for it, they'll keep doing it. Where the anime is concerned, it needs serious work, I guess they dumbed it down so kids could get a better grasp of it.

The anime has not "dumbed down". In fact, it's become a bit better well written. In Gen I and II, the Evil Team plots weren't adapted into the anime at all. In AG and DP, they were a part of the region. And in BW, while Team Plasma hasn't made an official appearance, the Team Rocket organization is a legit threat.

You, however, are over a decade older. It is really no surprise that someone in his late teens or 20s would think a children's show is "dumbed down". Because to them, it is.

Well, to be fair, Spongebob Squarepants also aired in 1999 and is still running today. Yu-Gi-Oh! began originally 1998 and was picked back up in 2000. Unless I'm wrong, the series is still going on. Fairly Odd Parents has picked back up lately. It began as TV shorts in 1998 before becoming a full-fledged series in 2001. I guess you could even count Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes, which each have a new series and began in 1960 and 1930, respectively.

T&J doesn't count, as well as many others, because these are non-continuous series. They aren't the same people , not the same staff, in some cases not the same continuity. (IE Batman: The Animated Series and Batman: Brave and the Bold are two separate lines of continuity).

(Also, really, the anime aired first in 97. It hit state side in 1999.)

But yeah, it's very rare for any type of animated series to run for long.

Zachmac

I won't believe Alomomola wasn't originally planned as a Luvdisc evo even if Game Freak claim it wasn't.
Okay, it was made for people who liked Luvdisc. A lot of 5th gen pokemon were supposed to be kind of nostalgic yet fresh ideas at the same time. Beartic/Ursaring. Tauros/Bouffalant. Clefable/Audino. Whimmiscott/Jumpluff. Alomomola was just a more obvious one.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
(even though they're running out of pokemon ideas XD)

*thows you into a tank full of Carvanha and Sharpedo

they are NOT running out of ideas!

Edit: OT: I think pokemon will continue for another 5 years or so.

Last edited: