• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How far do you think Pokemon will go?

Will it keep going?

• Yes

Votes: 132 85.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zachmac

Late response to a couple things...
but IMO i'd like them to make pkmn battles a bit more....what's the word....epic? exciting?
I thought they were pretty exciting when I was 8. Oh, and then their is pokemon battle revolution. And the final battle against N with Zekrom VS. Reshiram.
eventually the game will have to end.
Then I guess Mario and Legend of Zelda would have to end one day too.
Personally I think I'd last about 3-6 more years
Any evidence to back it up? Over 1 million pre-orders made for pokemon black and white,, and over 5 million copies were sold. Pokemon is doing better then they ever had before, they aren't going to stop because of a few whiny fans.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Pokemon won't end until the world does. It's too popular. If anything, fans will stay around, using simulators and making fan games and art and fiction. As long as pokemon has fans, it won't truly ever end.

Bluelatios*

randomspot, no offense but I'm afraid you seem to be taking several things out of context. I'm not saying that Pokemon isn't selling well now, or that its not popular anymore, at least not yet. However I'm not convinced that this generation will remain as memorable to its fans as some of the previous ones to theirs. You are also constantly reminding people how its not the 90s and how we've grown, but that doesn't mean any of us have to care any less about Pokemon than before if it meant that much to us when we were kids. The writing has had its fair share of both gain and loss, which of course have different definitions based on different people's viewpoints. The question is how much of each compared to each passing generation. Finally, I'm not going to say that other generations didn't have "weird" Pokemon either. There will always be some Pokemon that are weird to some, and cool to others. Still, you do have to wonder why there are more "man-made" objects in this generation than in the others. But that's a different topic anyways. The main thing that I've observed is that Pokemon is considerably more targeted at new fans this generation than others. I don't expect Pokemon could match the "90's craze" again, but I do know that it could appeal better to a wider audience with more effort. We've always known it to be able to do that, to keep on captivating fans. I think most of us here would appreciate it if they didn't slow down doing that. For the record, I don't let nostalgia cloud my judgement but rather, I use my experience being an avid fan to be logical in analyzing what Pokemon was then compared to what it is now. I'm not asking any of you to agree, but at least consider it food for thought.

randomspot555

randomspot, no offense but I'm afraid you seem to be taking several things out of context.

If by "out of context" you mean "Quoting you using your words", then guilty as charged.

I'm not saying that Pokemon isn't selling well now, or that its not popular anymore, at least not yet.

Bold: Eyeroll.

Listen, I know it's fun to play "Video Game Industry Analyst". But in addition to the paid professionals at Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creaturres Inc, they probably hire consulting media people to do studies and tests and all kinds of stuff to keep Pokemon relevant and thriving. They aren't idiots.

If some random fan had an actual, legit observation that Pokemon was in decay, it's something that Nintendo and co had heard and met and talked about several months before the fan even typed it up..

However I'm not convinced that this generation will remain as memorable to its fans as some of the previous ones to theirs.

Stop projecting your negative opinions of this generation (which isn't even close to being over yet) onto others.

You're free to have your opinions, no matter how illogical you are. But you aren't free to speak for others.

If you want to say "I don't like Gen 5" or whatever, go for it. But don't try to dress it up as if there's some type of mass anti-Gen 5 sentiment across the fanbase.

You are also constantly reminding people how its not the 90s and how we've grown, but that doesn't mean any of us have to care any less about Pokemon than before if it meant that much to us when we were kids.

Yeah, you see in this thread how people are complaining it's childish or marketed to kids.

"20-something year olds find kids video game/television show childish. News at 11"

Now, IMO, I take Pokemon for what it is. It's generally held the same concept since day 1. And rather than fix what isn't broken and revolutionize it every generation,they make improvements and tweaks but keep the same basic premise.

You, for some reason, were able to tolerate this formula for several years.

Why, now, are you all of a sudden, calling for re-invention of the wheel?

The writing has had its fair share of both gain and loss, which of course have different definitions based on different people's viewpoints.

If you really think there's some huge difference in quality in the anime, there's 6 years of OS available for ya. If your idea of a super rivla battle we waited for for 6 years being full of OHKOS, there's Gary Vs Ash. If you want the battles to be dynamic and, at times, even emotionally touching, you won't find many in OS. But you will in DP, AG, and BW.

Finally, I'm not going to say that other generations didn't have "weird" Pokemon either.

But for some reason, the nostalgia freaks give a complete pass to "inanimate objects" like Magnemite and Voltorb, and "Not animals" like Dragonite and Muk, or "not creative" such as a two headed bird evolving into a 3headed bird, but complain incessently of newer generations, and theircomplaints are usually limited to 2-3 Pokemon.

Still, you do have to wonder why there are more "man-made" objects in this generation than in the others.

[citation needed]

The main thing that I've observed is that Pokemon is considerably more targeted at new fans this generation than others.

Then you simply weren't paying attention to the marketing efforts before.

I don't expect Pokemon could match the "90's craze" again, but I do know that it could appeal better to a wider audience with more effort.

It does appeal to a wide audience. But the core audience has always been boys 7(ish) to 12.

For the record, I don't let nostalgia cloud my judgement but rather, I use my experience being an avid fan to be logical in analyzing what Pokemon was then compared to what it is now. I'm not asking any of you to agree, but at least consider it food for thought.

Wow, a nostalgia fan saying nostaliga isn't clouding his views!

Last edited:

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
As long as there are Pokemon fans, the franchise will live on imo.

Skyhi101

Even if US and Europe fans started hating pokemon, a lot of Japan revolves around it. Pokemon will be around for quite some time.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
randomspot, no offense but I'm afraid you seem to be taking several things out of context. I'm not saying that Pokemon isn't selling well now, or that its not popular anymore, at least not yet. However I'm not convinced that this generation will remain as memorable to its fans as some of the previous ones to theirs. You are also constantly reminding people how its not the 90s and how we've grown, but that doesn't mean any of us have to care any less about Pokemon than before if it meant that much to us when we were kids. The writing has had its fair share of both gain and loss, which of course have different definitions based on different people's viewpoints. The question is how much of each compared to each passing generation. Finally, I'm not going to say that other generations didn't have "weird" Pokemon either. There will always be some Pokemon that are weird to some, and cool to others. Still, you do have to wonder why there are more "man-made" objects in this generation than in the others. But that's a different topic anyways. The main thing that I've observed is that Pokemon is considerably more targeted at new fans this generation than others. I don't expect Pokemon could match the "90's craze" again, but I do know that it could appeal better to a wider audience with more effort. We've always known it to be able to do that, to keep on captivating fans. I think most of us here would appreciate it if they didn't slow down doing that. For the record, I don't let nostalgia cloud my judgement but rather, I use my experience being an avid fan to be logical in analyzing what Pokemon was then compared to what it is now. I'm not asking any of you to agree, but at least consider it food for thought.

you know when you think about it G1 pokemon is probably LEAST creative pokemon. I mean most ( I said Most) of them are purely based on animal and others are based on objects like meginets and sluge. yet dispite that you say G5 will not remiain populer... G1 was the generation that introduced Seal named seel.

Still, you do have to wonder why there are more "man-made" objects in this generation than in the others.

HOW SO!!!! swans, ancient bird, ancient tourtle, cells, bugs, flours, are they man-made objects??? Only pokemon family I'd call made made objects are Munna, Yamask, Trubbish, Klink,litwick, Golet, family. (Note I did not include human-like pokemon because Humans are NOT man-made. Man did not create another man! )

Last edited:

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
If by "out of context" you mean "Quoting you using your words", then guilty as charged.

Listen, I know it's fun to play "Video Game Industry Analyst". But in addition to the paid professionals at Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creaturres Inc, they probably hire consulting media people to do studies and tests and all kinds of stuff to keep Pokemon relevant and thriving. They aren't idiots.

If some random fan had an actual, legit observation that Pokemon was in decay, it's something that Nintendo and co had heard and met and talked about several months before the fan even typed it up..

Stop projecting your negative opinions of this generation (which isn't even close to being over yet) onto others.

You're free to have your opinions, no matter how illogical you are. But you aren't free to speak for others.

If you want to say "I don't like Gen 5" or whatever, go for it. But don't try to dress it up as if there's some type of mass anti-Gen 5 sentiment across the fanbase.

Yeah, you see in this thread how people are complaining it's childish or marketed to kids.

"20-something year olds find kids video game/television show childish. News at 11"

Now, IMO, I take Pokemon for what it is. It's generally held the same concept since day 1. And rather than fix what isn't broken and revolutionize it every generation,they make improvements and tweaks but keep the same basic premise.

If you really think there's some huge difference in quality in the anime, there's 6 years of OS available for ya. If your idea of a super rivla battle we waited for for 6 years being full of OHKOS, there's Gary Vs Ash. If you want the battles to be dynamic and, at times, even emotionally touching, you won't find many in OS. But you will in DP, AG, and BW.

But for some reason, the nostalgia freaks give a complete pass to "inanimate objects" like Magnemite and Voltorb, and "Not animals" like Dragonite and Muk, or "not creative" such as a two headed bird evolving into a 3headed bird, but complain incessently of newer generations, and theircomplaints are usually limited to 2-3 Pokemon.

[citation needed]

It does appeal to a wide audience. But the core audience has always been boys 7(ish) to 12.

hey, shut up. Even if they are negitive, people can say their opinions, like "Your annoying and stupid"

xDWarrior

I know people like to hang on to these romantic notions of their favorite properties being artistic labors of love that subsist on the goodwill of the fans, but that's not the case. Pokémon is a property operated by a business, the purpose of the former being to generate revenue for the latter, which exists for the purpose of making money. In short, Pokémon is itself a business, and like any business, it will have no reason to cease until the money dictates it do so. "You never know they might be right" is not an argument.

Pointing out this inherent reality does not constitute "being a buzzkill" at all.

Well yeah of course we all know this is the truth, but at least don't ruin the speculation! xD I kid sadly this is true..

Zachmac

hey, shut up. Even if they are negitive, people can say their opinions, like "Your annoying and stupid"
Okay, let's not get personal here.

This is about how long Pokemon will last, is it not? Let's keep it at that.
Only pokemon family I'd call made made objects are Munna, Yamask, Trubbish, Klink,litwick, Golet, family.
Wait, why Munna?

There is more man made then in gen 1, but some of them are actually pretty popular. I personally like Klinklank and Cofagirus, while Golurk and Chandy are all pretty popular. Trubish isn't really popular, but a good amount of people still like it. I've actually seen Vanilite to be popular as well, and my little sister is in love with it. The point of pokemon is to appeal to the fans, and man made objects can do that.
Well yeah of course we all know this is the truth, but at least don't ruin the speculation! xD I kid sadly this is true..
I find it more reassuring then sad. We're all here because we're pokemon fans, right? Who'd want it to die out?

randomspot555

You're!=your

Yes, opinions are allowed to be had. There's also a "quote" option attached to each post. If you don't want to be quoted and don't want to discuss, then you don't have to post!

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Wait, why Munna?

because munna is based on Japanese mythological creature... I should probably add kami trio in that list as well...

xDWarrior

[citation needed]

You really did take his original post way out of context. He in no way suggested Pokemon was near its end, and frankly it's not. It has until the money stops coming in, and based on what I see, that's quite a ways off. Of course it will have its decline, and eventually its end. Everything does.

Zachmac

because munna is based on Japanese mythological creature... I should probably add kami trio in that list as well...
I don't really think that counts....myths aren't exactly "man made", because people don't actually create them, just think them up.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

There is nothing worst than having a well writen post dismised by someone just saying "Shut up". How about you shut up if you're not going to add anything?

Like said, Pokemon will stop when the money stops. Of course, there have been companies that stoped making games that were still bringing in the money so that's not always the shut point.

randomspot555

You really did take his original post way out of context. He in no way suggested Pokemon was near its end, and frankly it's not. It has until the money stops coming in, and based on what I see, that's quite a ways off. Of course it will have its decline, and eventually its end. Everything does.

He did suggest that there's this drastic enthusiasm gap in fans, different change in marketing, and lower quality of Pokemon.

One is just him projecting his opinion onto others, another is just flat out ignoring how Pokemon has always been marketed, and the final part...well, besides complaining about them being "man made", he never made a real substantial point. But I assume he hates Pokemon like Porygon, Voltorb, Electrode, and Magneton, as well.

Zachmac

Like said, Pokemon will stop when the money stops. Of course, there have been companies that stoped making games that were still bringing in the money so that's not always the shut point.
But after going on for this long? I doubt it. Maybe it would be more believable or Mario or Zelda died out, but unless something like that happens, I'm going to stay positive pokemon won't die out.

xDWarrior

He did suggest that there's this drastic enthusiasm gap in fans, different change in marketing, and lower quality of Pokemon.

One is just him projecting his opinion onto others, another is just flat out ignoring how Pokemon has always been marketed, and the final part...well, besides complaining about them being "man made", he never made a real substantial point. But I assume he hates Pokemon like Porygon, Voltorb, Electrode, and Magneton, as well.

He said :"So will Pokemon just vanish when they run out of ideas for the actual Pokemon? Or will they like end it once it makes no profit?"
"They aren't running out of ideas." This was your response. That's pretty out of context. You suggested they aren't running out of ideas now and that original quote in no way suggests they are. He just asked if it will stop when they do happen to run out of ideas, or once it stops making money. He essentially asked which is going to come first.

Zachmac

He said :"So will Pokemon just vanish when they run out of ideas for the actual Pokemon? Or will they like end it once it makes no profit?"
"They aren't running out of ideas." This was your response. That's pretty out of context. You suggested they aren't running out of ideas now and that original quote in no way suggests they are. He just asked if it will stop when they do happen to run out of ideas, or once it stops making money. He essentially asked which is going to come first.
Well, I guess that whole argument was a matter of miscommunication. No hard feelings to either side now, right?

I say it's pretty hard to guess which one will come first. GF is not running out of idea, and they are making more money then ever. They're doing too well at both to really make a guess.

Last edited: