• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How good was Emerald?

Yellow had Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle.
Crystal had Ho-oh, Lugia and the Odd Egg.
Platinum had new forms for Giratina, Shaymin and Rotom. Not to mention a welcome extention to the plot.
And what did Emerald have? Your choice of Johto Starter post-game. Yeah, that was worth it!

It's still a good game though and worth a buy over Ruby and Sapphire.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
Emerald was the BEST pokemon game of all time. it was. it had all my favorite pokemon, a great plot, and was just great. yeah.
it was better than dppt, whether you think so or not, and I don't have heartgold so i don't know about johto yet, but SO FAR it was the best.

Calm PokeMaster

I think it is the best game as far the 3rd generation is concerned because of the extension of the plot and inclusion of the Battle Frontier,but I feel Platinum beats it as it does all of these in a better way.Just my opinion.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I liked it but I thought platinum was a better remake (also my all time favorite) also the fact that they let you catch a level 70 pokemon before beating the elite 4 made the elite 4 not as hard. the battle frontier was pretty cool though

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I liked it but I thought platinum was a better remake (also my all time favorite) also the fact that they let you catch a level 70 pokemon before beating the elite 4 made the elite 4 not as hard. the battle frontier was pretty cool though

Emerald and Platinum are not remakes. Like Yellow and Crystal, they are the upgraded versions of the previous paired versions.

Only FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver are remakes.

2Percent-Miltank

.::dreamwalker::.
I thought Emerald was really good. The animations weren't really that great though, but then again I think just about all the animations have sucked after Crystal, which was amazing.

I liked the new clothes for the characters and, of course, the Battle Frontier, even if I sucked at it, ahaha.

Prisimviere

Not Returned.
Well, I have Emerald at my emulator now. It's good. Probably the second of my favorite expansion stories, tied at Platinum. The protagonists look a lot more awesome.

Positives:
-Johto Starters
-Battle Frontier
-Teaming up with other trainers
-Gym Leader rematches
-Starf Berry
-Deoxys Speed Form is win.

Negatives:
-No Zangoose? No Roselia? Sheesh!
-The animated sprites weren't that good. Honestly, I liked the animations on Crystal better.
-Still no Day/Night system :(

(Reasons why I liked teaming up with the other trainers)

1. Me: OMG like, I'm teaming up with Steven to kick the bad guy's butt! *squeals out loud then faints*

2. Hey the apprentice guy looks like a Bug Catcher (well, it IS a Bug Catcher)! Answering some of his questions give me more information about Pokemon.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
Like most members in this thread, and the people with the only valid opinion, I love Emerald version. Everything added to the game was an improvement to Ruby and Sapphire, and although the later gen games have continued to make improvements, Emerald's Battle Frontier remains a standout landmark among the Pokemon franchise, even more memorable and creative than Platinum's.

lansbury9

Emerald was great, better than Ruby and Sapphire. Some of the 2D overworld sprites looked a bit camp in comparison to some great ones from FrLg, see the Psychic/Rich Boy sprite, but in Emerald, good, they removed the annoying head band from the female Cool Trainer. I guess FrLg just had a slightly different perspective than RS AND Emerald, which was good in a way, because in link-up mode on FrLg, Brendan looks like Wes, and on Emerald Red looks 2D! Speaking of FrLg, I really liked the Battle Frontier, and the nods to them games as well. I am GLAD there wasn't that creepy scene in Sootopolis with Wallace x Steven... You know what I mean, GAME FREAK! So yes, Emerald WAS good enough to get a remake, and also good enough for improvements as well. *coughchangeCombusken'sspritecough*

Auxis

Yes! Wait... No.
Emerald was definately a championistic game, with the battle tents, the further inclusion of Rayquaza, the Johto obtainables in the Safari Zone prior to beating the Elite Four, Emerald was just purely a good game with not much to complain about. Do I sense a remake in about four or five years? Hmm?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I loved Emerald. Period :). It was one of the better Pokémon games to come out -- and I loved how it incorporated Rayquaza more into the overall story line itself.

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
amazing, I'm currently looking for mynes to replay

Pokemon4Ever

Innocent Bystander
Pokemon Emerald is unquestionably one of the best games I've ever played, and the highlight of the sweet sweet third generation. It took the already decent Ruby and Sapphire, then added and expanded. Sharper graphics, new locations, a Battle Frontier, more Johto Pokemon, a more satisfying story, more challenges and replay value, very helpful breeding additions, and the return of sprite animations and more add up for a very great remake. I've spent around 330 hours or more on it for good reason. I will always hold it in high regard.

The Seer

OOH...MYEE...GAAWD..
I like emerald, best of the 3rd generation. So yeah...

Nukada

Kyogre Trainer
If I may say so:

Best.Pokemon.Game.Ever

Platinum would have topped it if its Frontier had 7 events and an actual reward for beating all Frontier Brains at the gold level.

But it didn't.

Like most members in this thread, and the people with the only valid opinion, I love Emerald version. Everything added to the game was an improvement to Ruby and Sapphire, and although the later gen games have continued to make improvements, Emerald's Battle Frontier remains a standout landmark among the Pokemon franchise, even more memorable and creative than Platinum's.

definitaly agreed, also i love the battle pyramid and was disapointed when they didnt include that in the new Battle Frontier. I loved the randomness of it and also how easy the brain was to beat, but also challenging despite his team very flawed weaknesses

Dracomaster16

Storm Trainer
Emerald was my first game I ever had (seriously, I didn't have any video games). And I spent hours on it because it was so cool. I loved testing out BF pokemon but never knew where the hell they got all those pokemon because, I was new to the poke world. When I first saw something like a Granbull I was like

WTF!?

And then desperately searched for Kanto and Johto pokemon around Hoenn. I looked on every nook and cranny and found very few pokes out of Hoenn Dex jurisdiction. I was about to give up when, suddenly, Fire Red popped up and I bought it, and it made my Dex. I still have my emerald, with my original file intact and all gold symbols, but i'm never giving it away, not even for Soul Silver

Maybe...

Edit: The file that is displayed on my sig is my Emulator game. I play on VBA