• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How good will be certain Pokémon if they had certain ability/move(s)/typing?

Lucariomen

*sends this thread upwards again because yes*

What if the Tapus had Recover, Shell Smash (because they do have shells) and terrain-boosted moves (Rising Voltage/Expanding Force/Grassy Glide/Misty Explosion) respectively? Examples of what I think that would happen:

Tapu Lele:

I feel like Lele could be great in Ubers, as with a single Shell Smash, it outspeeds anything except Regieleki or boosted stuff. Priority is out of the question duo to Psychic Surge, and she has coverage enough to hit, for example, Dark- and Steel-Types. I think the only thing that could wall Tapu Lele after a Shell Smash would actually be Calyrex-Shadow, as when wearing a Choice Scarf, the mighty horse can actually outspeed it and be punished by a single Astral Barrage, assuming Focus Sash was used up on the Shell Smash.

Tapu Fini:

Weakest in terms of terrain moves and not such a great Shell Smasher, could possibly stay in OU duo to 170 Speed and 190 Special Attack on a Shell Smash isn't great. Tapu Fini isn't built for sweeping, it is a defensive wall made for taking hits, and Recover would make it stand on the field more, possibly increasing its OU usage and possibly giving it minor Uber usage.

Divine Retribution

Unironic transhumanist
Tapu Fini:

Weakest in terms of terrain moves and not such a great Shell Smasher, could possibly stay in OU duo to 170 Speed and 190 Special Attack on a Shell Smash isn't great.

Shell Smash (as well as most other stat boosts) doesn't double the base stats, it doubles the actual stats, including the increases from EVs and IVs. This is effectively much more than a doubled base stat. This means, for example, that Azumarill with Huge Power has the effective Attack stat of a Pokemon with 149 base Attack, despite having a base Attack stat of only 50.

Tapu Fini, after a Shell Smash, would have the effective Sp. Atk stat of a fully EV/IV'd Pokemon with 245 base Sp. Atk and a Speed stat that would be just shy of a base 220's natural Speed.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
*sends this thread upwards again because yes*

What if the Tapus had Recover, Shell Smash (because they do have shells) and terrain-boosted moves (Rising Voltage/Expanding Force/Grassy Glide/Misty Explosion) respectively? Examples of what I think that would happen:

Tapu Lele:

I feel like Lele could be great in Ubers, as with a single Shell Smash, it outspeeds anything except Regieleki or boosted stuff. Priority is out of the question duo to Psychic Surge, and she has coverage enough to hit, for example, Dark- and Steel-Types. I think the only thing that could wall Tapu Lele after a Shell Smash would actually be Calyrex-Shadow, as when wearing a Choice Scarf, the mighty horse can actually outspeed it and be punished by a single Astral Barrage, assuming Focus Sash was used up on the Shell Smash.

Tapu Fini:

Weakest in terms of terrain moves and not such a great Shell Smasher, could possibly stay in OU duo to 170 Speed and 190 Special Attack on a Shell Smash isn't great. Tapu Fini isn't built for sweeping, it is a defensive wall made for taking hits, and Recover would make it stand on the field more, possibly increasing its OU usage and possibly giving it minor Uber usage.
I reckon they'd all be completely broken. Shell smash is a hugely powerful boosting move, with that speed and power behind them they'd sweep pretty much everything, effectively like Xerneas without needing a power herb. Tapu Bulu in particular would be insane, after a single Shell Smash it could OHKO most stuff on neutral hits with Horn Leech, keeping itself healthy in the process, while having Wood Hammer for smashing through sturdier resists. Tapu Bulu would have so much power grass resists wouldn't matter as much, it just smashes through (unless it's like Skarmory or Ferrothorn, but Life Orb or Miracle Seed Wood Hammer would OHKO most 2x resists). And it's fast, Jolly Bulu outspeeds Timid Regieleki after a single Shell Smash. Adamant Bulu outspeeds Modest Regieleki after Shell Smash. And all the other Tapus are even faster.
Tapu Lele with just Expanding Force would already be insane, with both Expanding Force and Shell Smash it would be way beyond even Xerneas. It's essentially Xerneas with priority protection, free item choice, and much more power.
The other two would be similarly broken.

Pokefan_1987

#1 Biggest self proclaimed Rotom-Dex hater.
Here's a ability i would want to design.

Tough Body (Hidden Ability) Limited to Charizard, along with others that have 4x weaknesses.

This ability reduces super effective move damage to 50% if opponents move would cause 4x times super effective damage.
Stealth Rock also has no effects on users with this ability.

This would allow pokemon like Charizard able to better survive it's against it's crippling Rock type weakness and reduce the need to use Heavy Duty Boots.

Last edited: