• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How has BW changed the dynamics of the Anime? Will these changes continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I would not mind if Gen 6 focus more on a mature vibe like other shoenen series. I mean comapred to Digimon or other anime based off of games pokemon seems the most kiddy. I'm all for a more serious vibe but still kiddy. Maybe they plan to go a new route with Episode N and hopefully that leads into Gen 6

I hope you really aren't expecting Chapter of N to actually do anything of that sort.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I hope they carry on the multiple rivals and tournaments into the next series. That was the best part of Best Wishes. They just need to be better at handing out different placements in each of the tournaments.

Don Battle: Runner Up.
Donamite: Top4, with a pokemon that had never fought before.
JC: Runner Up, defeated by Plotpower.
League: Top8, or Top4

What's the problem, aside from League regression, which was something you didn't seem to be referring to?

Yeah, that's one of the worst things about Johto in OS and Sinnoh in DP: there's too much filler. The pacing absolutely should be kept.

DP didn't have that much filler compared to AG actually.. It was just substantially filled with more activities then AG.. -.- What AG did do however, was have a BF, which gave us more battles until the series was over. Now consider this, what if DP had Don Tournaments, or anything a like the Tag Battle tournament, but more often? Conclusion: It wouldn't have fit into the time frame most of the time. The summerschool arc could've been converted into a Don Battle though, I'd give you that, and some of the filler in the Johto-promotion-weeks, could've been twisted as well. But other then that, it was a pretty tighnit series, most of the time. I do acknowledge that there were fillers, and that it wasn't all great.

I think the next series needs a better rival, trip just felt more like a passer by. Was it just me who thought most of the rivals in BW went in the complete opposite direction compared to DP's like Paul etc

Trip was just 'one of the rivals'. The big difference was that DP was a story about Ash, Paul and their handling of pokemon, with Chimchar being the case subject. Nothing else really mattered that much in comparison. Best Wishes isn't a story about Ash vs. Trip at all, it is just about Ash travelling through Unova, and getting his feet off the ground again, meeting multiple trainers and fighting them every once in a while, while Ash's rivals all have an equal share in what they achieve.
- Stephan: Wins a tournament
- Bianca: Most seperate episodes (character focus), unofficial fourth member of the group.
- Trip: Wins a tournament

And honestly, it was wise to go this route after DP, which had heavy character focus between two characters and their rivalry. Having a new 'Paul'-storyline would've hurt this series more then the preconceived notion of 'the new Paul', which many had in the early episodes. We got a completely different deal, and people didn't see it, some still don't and still bicker how Trip should've been a full battle - like Paul had..

I would like to see a new kind of main rival for Ash. Usually, the main rivals he gets are all males, they are all arrogant and they are all mean to him at some point or another. I like what they were trying to do with Trip and the backstory but he really got screwed over in the end. I would like to see a smart, competent and serious female rival as Ash's main rival next generation. It would be something different for Ash.

No, Trip was just really done after the Junior Cup.. Not screwed over.. They gave him the BW1-Cheren storyline, so Cheren could be the B2W2-Cheren. Cheren's storyline pretty much plummets after he gets moralchecked by Alder, which for Trip happened at the JC. Hence why him getting exited in the first round wasn't badly done at all.

Don Battle: Runner Up.
Donamite: Top4, with a pokemon that had never fought before.
JC: Runner Up, defeated by Plotpower.
League: Top8, or Top4

What's the problem, aside from League regression, which was something you didn't seem to be referring to?

I don't think he is talking about just Ash. I think he means characters like Trip, Burgundy, and Georgia who never made it to the Top 4 in any of the tournaments.

Graham Aker

They don't need to give Ash three starters again, and more than 7 Pokemon tbqh. I think thy should go back to a smaller team with more focus.

Locormus

I don't think he is talking about just Ash. I think he means characters like Trip, Burgundy, and Georgia who never made it to the Top 4 in any of the tournaments.

Last time I checked, Trip won the Junior Cup, and Burgundy is a rival to a minor character who doesn't get any development himself. Georgia gets through the first round most of the time, so she's fine. With Georgia, we know that the Iris plot is still going somewhere, so that's good for Georgia as well.

Burgundy's just screwed by the lack of Cilan development.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
One thing i know for sure is that Ash does not need to get all of the regional starters, spreading them out amongst his traveling companions main character status or not is obviously the better choice.

Ironically all three of the hoenn starters evolved in the main group (guess mudkip wasn't cute enough to remain as it was) which I find ironic, even more so that Mudkip evolved in Brock's care and most people deemed his pokemon useless.

Of course i'm also inclined to believe that perhaps rotation wasn't the best thing either, because people deem the unova pokemon weak due to fact that they did not get enough equal time.

perhaps that's why back in Kanto 1 we had the overcaught pokemon sit out, because they couldn't handle so many pokemon on Ash at one time.

Last time I checked, Trip won the Junior Cup, and Burgundy is a rival to a minor character who doesn't get any development himself. Georgia gets through the first round most of the time, so she's fine. With Georgia, we know that the Iris plot is still going somewhere, so that's good for Georgia as well.

Burgundy's just screwed by the lack of Cilan development.

Wow... That was so stupid what I said about Trip. Sorry... XD

Graham Aker

I do wonder if the amount of starters Ash has contributes to the evolution he has. Like if Ash only had Snivy and Tepig...would we have seen Serperior and Emboar.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I do wonder if the amount of starters Ash has contributes to the evolution he has. Like if Ash only had Snivy and Tepig...would we have seen Serperior and Emboar.

and yet if Emboar was getting more attention you'd have a repeat of last region--; I love how people still think Infernape is responsible for Torterra's misfortune, but the writers giving it Rock Climb was what did it in.

then again, perhaps some of the things the writers do now are a wake up call to people who think they can read the anime like a book (Cyber and Dman for example) think they know how everything is going to go down.

Yet due to the possibility of "regression" in Ash's league posistioning could be the message that people should not jump the gun and assume they think they know everything. People thought Ash would automatically stay to course or go further, but yet look at what could happen. The one possibility no one thinks of until it unexpectedly comes and smacks everyone in the face till their awake, makes you realise we know nothing in the end.

Last edited:

Locormus

and yet if Emboar was getting more attention you'd have a repeat of last region--; I love how people still think Infernape is responsible for Torterra's misfortune, but the writers giving it Rock Climb was what did it in.

You think that how a storyline that lasted 188 episodes that centered around Chimchar, didn't have anything to do with Torterra being overshadowed, and that it is all due to it learning a really cool move?

That's like saying that Glalie didn't get anything since the Hoenn League because it learned Ice Beam...

Geez. Are people still talking about how screwed over Torterra was and how glorified Infernape was. That can't really count as a flaw for the DP series. Can it?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
You think that how a storyline that lasted 188 episodes that centered around Chimchar, didn't have anything to do with Torterra being overshadowed, and that it is all due to it learning a really cool move?

Yet every match it was in as a Torterra, it lost due to this so called "Cool move"

^Turtwig evolving was a Flaw if anything, it clearly didn't need too since it did better in it's base form than it did after evolving, Staraptor and Gliscor also got better by evolving even though it took both of them a while to get it in gear they eventually did, Turtwig did not.

Right now when I look at Ash's unova pokemon the same thing could be said about Unfezant and Boldore, it seems like even though they each got a few wins and evolved, they've gotten worse instead of better.

Last edited:

Lucille

I hope Ash doesn't get all of the starters next gen I agree that it kind of ruined his team this gen. They should make the Fire type the main mascot of the three so finally Ash can evolve a water Pokemon.....

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I hope Ash doesn't get all of the starters next gen I agree that it kind of ruined his team this gen. They should make the Fire type the main mascot of the three so finally Ash can evolve a water Pokemon.....

Or how about not giving Ash the regional grass starter, that's another thing. I like Snivy, but the writers really did not need to give her to Ash especially since it seems like Levanny's got the grass slot covered much better.

In the first gen I could see it with the whole "Bulbsaur makes things easier" but as the generations go on, the starters become more even in terms of raising them, so that factor is kinda stupid to hang on to.

Lucille

Or how about not giving Ash the regional grass starter, that's another thing. I like Snivy, but the writers really did not need to give her to Ash especially since it seems like Levanny's got the grass slot covered much better.

In the first gen I could see it with the whole "Bulbsaur makes things easier" but as the generations go on, the starters become more even in terms of raising them, so that factor is kinda stupid to hang on to.

I definitely agree. Snivy would of been better handled if Iris caught her or wasn't introduced at all. I'm kind of sick of Starter Pokemon in general but they're needed for the 'cuteness marketable' factor.

I definitely agree. Snivy would of been better handled if Iris caught her or wasn't introduced at all. I'm kind of sick of Starter Pokemon in general but they're needed for the 'cuteness marketable' factor.

I agree. I am not a fan of Snivy's character either even though she did have a good debut episode. I think the maximum starters Ash should get is 2. When it comes to how his team was handled, people on here seem to agree that the 2 best developed teams Ash has had was Hoenn and Sinnoh and that was when he didn't have all the starters on his team.

Graham Aker

With Oshawott it was just another Piplup, that actually didn't end up doing that much. Just was there being a butt-Monkey.
Snivy was an obvious attempt to combine Sceptile, and Bulbasaur..but she didn't get much screen-time either.
Pignite was okayish, but never really stood out.

The writers didn't really seem to care, or take notice of how Ash's team was handled. I don't know what the deal with Oshawott is.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
With Oshawott it was just another Piplup, that actually didn't end up doing that much. Just was there being a butt-Monkey.
Snivy was an obvious attempt to combine Sceptile, and Bulbasaur..but she didn't get much screen-time either.
Pignite was okayish, but never really stood out.

Pignite does stand out, people still hate the thing and bash it to death because they fear how due to it's typing it will be the same as Infernape--;

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I agree. I am not a fan of Snivy's character either even though she did have a good debut episode. I think the maximum starters Ash should get is 2. When it comes to how his team was handled, people on here seem to agree that the 2 best developed teams Ash has had was Hoenn and Sinnoh and that was when he didn't have all the starters on his team.
For starters, in terms of his team.

Krookodile, Pikachu, Oshawott, Pignite, Snivy, Scraggy, Boldore, Palpitoad, and Unfezant are all the members.

I feel as though Unfezant and Boldore might as well have no been caught, I actually liked Roggenrola's personality pre-evolution but I don't care for Unfenzant nor Boldore's designs and both are pretty not memorable and I didn't care for either's evolution. Pikachu, Oshawott, Pignite, Scraggy, and Krookodile are definitely the core members of the team. I think Snivy is just kinda in an awkward area, true she has personality but I feel like it was a mistake for her to have had such a great movepool right at the beginning and her Attract gimmick as well got a bit boring. Like others have said Leavanny seems to do a much better job at playing the Grass-type. Though I think she should evolve. Yeah, Unfezant and Boldore being axed would have done some good imo.

I remember people whining at the beginning of BW about Tepig being the "blandest" starter, but Pignite is a damn good Pokemon imo. He's had character development and has shown to be a viable member of the team time and time again. Just because Snivy and Oshawott have(had) more personality than him doesn't make him inferior. I think some are just comparing him to GloryhogApe. Throw me into the bucket that's perfectly fine with Oshawott, he's had some good battles and has personality. Anyone that was expecting him to evolve into a Samurott after Ash got his sixth badge by league time was really having some high hopes.

Last edited:

Graham Aker

Pokemon Ash could have done without:

Unfezant (honestly, Ash shouldn't be required to have a flying starter every region writers)
One of the starters
Palpitoad
Roggenrola

Honestly, I hope next region the writers decide to ditch that obligatory Normal/Flying type capture.

Status
Not open for further replies.