• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How has HGSS affected your impression of DPPt?

Cerex

Central question: In light of all of the additional features being introduced in HGSS has it had an impact on your impression of DPPt?

FR/LG was made pretty much solely for players to have access to pokemon missing in R/S/E to complete their Dex, since they couldn't trade from G/S/C. It was basically Gen I plus the Sevi Islands. The same isn't the case with HGSS. The game itself doesn't seem to be just a side companion to DPPt for enthusiasts, but rather a game that can stand alone on its own merits. In fact I think you could say in some ways it surpasses DPPt, and makes DPPt the companion to it, i.e. the Arceus and Pichu events and other things.

In hindsight I kind of feel as if the folks at Gamefreak must have rushed almost to get DPPt out, because some of the things introduced in HGSS would have been awesome across the entire generation and looked as if they were on the table to be included in DPPt (even really small things like being able to select two key items). (Also the fact that both generations have the same exact Battle Frontier, with the Brains apparently being in two places at once is really strange.)

I don't think something similar could ever been said about FR/LG, but I think the real stars of Gen IV will be HGSS and not DPPt. Anyone else agree?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Central question: In light of all of the additional features being introduced in HGSS has it had an impact on your impression of DPPt?

FR/LG was made pretty much solely for players to have access to pokemon missing in R/S/E to complete their Dex, since they couldn't trade from G/S/C. It was basically Gen I plus the Sevi Islands. The same isn't the case with HGSS. The game itself doesn't seem to be just a side companion to DPPt for enthusiasts, but rather a game that can stand alone on its own merits. In fact I think you could say in some ways it surpasses DPPt, and makes DPPt the companion to it, i.e. the Arceus and Pichu events and other things.

In hindsight I kind of feel as if the folks at Gamefreak must have rushed almost to get DPPt out, because some of the things introduced in HGSS would have been awesome across the entire generation and looked as if they were on the table to be included in DPPt (even really small things like being able to select two key items). (Also the fact that both generations have the same exact Battle Frontier, with the Brains apparently being in two places at once is really strange.)

I don't think something similar could ever been said about FR/LG, but I think the real stars of Gen IV will be HGSS and not DPPt. Anyone else agree?

I believe the events in D/P/Pt are supposed to take place after the events in HG/SS. Anyway, I like the features in D/P/Pt, I think I'm comfortable with how things worked in those games. HG/SS added some interesting new things like the Pokethlon, but I don't think that feature would've been a great addition to D/P/Pt so I'm kind of glad they waited a few years before adding it. It gives us something else to do after the main storyline, similar to the Contests. I don't like D/P/Pt any less just because it lacked some things.

BCVM22

FR/LG was made pretty much solely for players to have access to pokemon missing in R/S/E to complete their Dex

Of course, there's absolutely no chance that they were made for largely the same reason HG/SS were, to give the kids to whom the franchise belongs a chance to properly play through a region that hadn't headlined a game in eight years.

In hindsight I kind of feel as if the folks at Gamefreak must have rushed almost to get DPPt out

You can feel this way if you must, but that's an unsupportable assertion. You have no proof that D/P were rushed and there's zero to suggest that they weren't given the 3-4 year development cycle of any other generation-starting core title.

because some of the things introduced in HGSS would have been awesome across the entire generation

No smart business that releases its products generationally ever gives away everything in the first round. If they had put everything they possibly could in Diamond and Pearl, what incentive would there have been for people to buy the other three games in the generation?

Also the fact that both generations have the same exact Battle Frontier, with the Brains apparently being in two places at once is really strange.

Compatibility purposes between Platinum and HG/SS. Don't confuse what's necessary for gameplay - the one key element of a video game - for continuity or character story or anything.

but I think the real stars of Gen IV will be HGSS and not DPPt. Anyone else agree?

At best, "real stars" is a semantic term with little value. All five games of the 4th generation will be remembered equally for what they brought to the table, just as all four/three/five games of the 1st/2nd/3rd generation were.

To try and make the case that the Sinnoh titles will be "forgotten" or something like that is nonsense. HG/SS are clearly tremendous games, yes, but I remind you it was Diamond, Pearl and to a lesser extent Platinum that introduced everything - and I do mean everything; new Pokémon, new attacks, a new region, new Gyms, the list goes on - that was new to the 4th generation.

Cerex

BCVM22, I think you are over analyzing one of my statements here, I was simply trying to embellish my initial premise that HGSS contains a lot enhancements in general gameplay that would have been great in DPPt that weren't included and me saying that was a shame. Not in fact attempting to mount an actual case against Gamefreak, which is why I started that statement with "in hindsight I feel" and not "HGSS clearly demonstrates that Gamefreak hastily finished DPPt". So from the onset I think I was clear this was just an opinion about how disappointed I am that some of the features in HGSS was in included in DPPt.

I also recognize that Gamefreak had to make HGSS stand out in some ways in order to create an actual incentive to purchase it, since the useful to completing the Dex is not present; I am more focused on some of the smaller features such the ability to register two items, cutscenes, and even meeting trainers outside, etc--some of which was introduced almost in beta in Pt. None of which would be the deciding factor in whether or not players ultimately bought HGSS, but would have made DPPt's, arguably the flagship titles of the generation I think, gameplay better

I'm also not confusing what's necessary for gameplay. I'm just saying the Frontier's duplication is strange, unoriginal (in an otherwise original game), and unexplained. If you are going to the length to do so many other things giving a simple reason would fit the narrative of the side quest better, especially since there is clearly a story and characters connecting the two regions, and even the Frontier itself (as Palmer is Barry's father).

And yes "real stars" is a matter of semantics, but I am asking for other's opinion, not coming up with a scientific theory. And all games are not remembered equally. Crystal clearly had more to offer a deeper story, more to do; just as Emerald did; and just as HGSS does. I also never said that the Sinnoh will be forgotten, what I said is my thought that when all is said and done (and we're all playing Gen V) the games I will as advancing the series more will be HGSS because of where it is taking the series (especially as it is juxtaposed to its Gen III cousin FR/LG), and am wondering if others will have the same opinion.

BCVM22

BCVM22, I think you are over analyzing one of my statements here

It has been known to happen.

I am more focused on some of the smaller features such the ability to register two items, cutscenes, and even meeting trainers outside, etc--some of which was introduced almost in beta in Pt.

Fair point, though there were cutscenes in D/P - as Dialga/Palkia begins to rampage out of control, the reality-wash from the rampage is shown engulfing the skies of Sinnoh.

I'm also not confusing what's necessary for gameplay. I'm just saying the Frontier's duplication is strange, unoriginal (in an otherwise original game), and unexplained.

Again, it's for compatibility purposes. Sometimes things like that have to be whitewashed a little bit in order to ensure that gamers can move from version to version without issue.

And all games are not remembered equally.

As far as history is concerned, I disagree. Two of your examples - Crystal and Emerald - were third games, which are expected to expand and enhance the experience of the first two games as far as gameplay and story, and despite that, I don't think Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire are remembered any less favorably, as it was those pairs that introduced their respective new generations and the deluges of new material found therein.

what I said is my thought that when all is said and done (and we're all playing Gen V) the games I will as advancing the series more will be HGSS because of where it is taking the series

And that's elsewhere where I disagree - for every one advancement to the gameplay that HG/SS might have introduced that will stick in the future, there are easily 2 or even 3 that Diamond/Pearl or Platinum introduced first, and again, that's independent of the fact that 80% of all of the 4th generation's new material debuted in Diamond and Pearl.

RLinksoul

Absolutely it has. I'm glad I can enter a patch of grass without finding a form of Bidoof, Starly, Buizel or Shellos. Those things were all over the map. And the music? I didn't even like the music for D/P, I never found myself humming any of it, instead just muting the DS.

I can't say I like the blurry, 3D graphics in either of them, but there's one thing I love to death about HG/SS. Five words I haven't seen since I started the game.

Saving a lot of data...... I do not miss that at all.

I will miss the Pokewatch's apps though, I was looking forward to tracking Raikou with that, but I guess touching the Pokegear button and then backing out repeatedly is fine.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
HGSS hasn't affected my love for DPPt one bit. They're all great games to me and they've all brought great, new, inventive, and fun things to the franchise.

Poke_Mania97

God of Fire
i think hgss is 1000 times better than d/p/pt! i realy enjoyed the 4th gen, but hgss kicks butt! g/s/c were defo the best pokemon rpg games along with r/b/y/g.

I hated 3rd gen btw. anyways, hgss has those cool animations when the mascot comes out e.g. lugia comes out of water, this is so wicked. this was probally made cause of giratina, when it shows up in pt( u know it spreads ink and bites cyrus sort of).

the only thing that sucks is no slot machines in the uk:(

Troysen

I haven't even gotten hg or ss yet because it isnt out yet in australia but from what i've seen on serebii.net it does look a lot better than d/p/pt. but i disagree that any of the games are for gotten when their sequels or remakes come out.

Troysen

I haven't even gotten hg or ss yet because it isnt out yet in australia but from what i've seen on serebii.net it does look a lot better than d/p/pt. but i disagree that any of the games are for gotten when their sequels or remakes come out.

herculehastings

I don't believe HeartGold/SoulSilver has dampened my enthusiasm for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum at all. They're games of 2 different regions with different storylines and everything, and I enjoy the both of them. Well, I will enjoy HeartGold once I get it at any rate.

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
I try to remember that HG/SS came out later, so it had a bit more time to get its stuff in order. FR/LG also had a bunch of odd things you wouldn't have found in RSE.

I recognize that HG/SS seem to have more polish to them than D/P/Pt, but I think both games have their good points to them. They'll both have a spot in the museum, I think. Whether or not HG/SS overshadows the original entries--couldn't say. I'm personally pretty happy with both of them.

Maybe that's just me though.

Saph

Rapscallion
Ever since Pokemon Crystal Game Freak have intentionally held back on features so you will buy the third game/remake, which I didn't mind in 3rd Gen, but in 4th Gen it was really obvious because the difference between D/P and HGSS is shameful. I find D/P to be almost unplayable, and I really think they were poorly made games. Platinum was a massive improvement, the saving grace of the 4th Gen, but HGSS really made me feel that they went too far in 'holding back' when you compare the graphics, touch-screen features and just the general level of polish.

Maybe Game Freak took longer to get used to the DS then the Game Boy? I don't know. But DP left a bad taste in my mouth.

Konabos

馬鹿外人
I really like Soul Silver, but I also really like DPPt. It's kind of weird for me though. I just got back into Pokemon on Feb.27. I bought Platinum to keep me occupied while waiting for HG/SS(The last time I played a Pokemon games was back when D&P came out) but I ended up having a blast with Platinum. Maybe it was because I hadn't played a Pokemon game in such a long time, (2-3 years, give or take?) but it seems like I had more fun with Platinum than I have had with Soulsilver.

Anyhow, I do like Soul Silver a lot, don't get me wrong. It just feels kind of....empty? Maybe It was overhyped, or maybe it's because I just came off of Platinum. I kind of expected this to happen, so it doesn't bother me. I'm not saying the game itself is empty, I'm just saying I have mixed feelings towards it. I'm sure that will change when i actually get to Kanto though. That's what I remember the most from GSC. I'm sure that's when I'm really going to get into it.

One of the things I like a lot about HG/SS, are all the little details they threw in. Little things like, wind in New Bark, the way the towns look, Pokemon following you(HUGE plus if you add me, I have been wanting thisn since I first started Pokemon) sounds of waves crashing on the beach, etc. Those details really make the game for me. They really went all out with HG/SS, and you can tell. If DPPt had these, I can't imagine how they could have made HG/SS seem more impressive.

Hasn't changed it one bit. As far as I am concerned, Platinum is a much better game than HGSS. Aesthetics don't make a good game. Gameplay and accessibility do, and Platinum has that in spades. Alongside having the best of Diamond/Pearl and improve on it even if slightly, such as the Pokétch, it expanded the already good storyline, and added much-needed expansion elements that should've been in Diamond/Pearl (considering most of them were introduced in FRLG and Emerald). It's also the very first game that builds upon NPCs extensively, which is one of its very best features. Even the gameplay speed was improved, though that's the biggest epic fail of this Generation. Gameplay speed should've been exactly the same in all games, as it had always been.

HGSS... meh. Touch Screen controls might have been polished, but as far as I'm concerned, they feel tacked on, and slow down something as simple as decision making. It's unnecessary implementation which detracts from its so-called good points. Plus, why is there a need to implement something that worked just fine when done with the buttons? I'm not feeling the acclaimed convenient, smooth controls this implementation supposedly brought to the table. I'd rather go back to the classic way. I could get used to this, but it feels extremely slow. The only true advantage I've noticed is the Running Shoes toggle. Now that's useful, but nothing to write home about. The Pokédex is also nice used this way. The Pokémon Menu is OK. Also, it's cool to have a second registered Item. But all else... ugh. Classic way please.

The plot is the same as GSC with very little twists to it. Minimal, even. Whatever people say of FRLG, it at least fixed the problems with RGBY, and added new plot content that solved some plotholes brought by GSC and expanded on the characters as well. HGSS expands on the characters, but completely ignored anything FRLG, instead opting to a complete copy/paste of GSC with very meager changes, most of them until the Kanto portion. That might be appreciated, as the Kanto part of GSC was horrible, but they still left Johto unattended. It now plays second fiddle to Sinnoh as well, with something such as copy/paste Battle Frontier. They could've changed the Brains at the very least (You never fight Brains in the multiplayer features, so the compatibility issues are bull), but not even that. Johto is the only Region with no "higher" institutions of its own (Pokéathlon doesn't counts, as it's like Contests), and it's so sad HGSS couldn't even give it different Frontier Brains.

The quest has meager changes as well. The Johto portion remains weak, filled with Kanto Pokémon, and full of all the problems that plagued GSC. They did very little to fix them. There's no comparable accessibility when compared with Platinum, either. There's an effort to implement some of the Pokétch features, which is acceptable, but they just can't compare one bit.

All I can say is that I'm glad they didn't remove the Gym Leader rematches, the stronger Elite Four and the Battle Frontier. As pathetic as the final one was in its execution, it likely means that the 5th Generation's first games will finally have all these features from the get-go, instead of making people forced to buy the 3rd Version, which is what happened with Platinum. Unless they're totally cheap and remove them to keep their purchase bait trend going, I sure hope they stop holding back already-known features from now on.

Adding on to this, and though it's not a fault of the original games, but of some awful legislation outside Japan, HGSS adds even more conundrums in the form of an inability of buying Game Corner Coins, which makes getting any prizes off it ridiculously hard. A huge plus point for Platinum right there. Likewise, paying for Tutor Moves with Shards is way easier than paying with Battle Points, new Tutor Moves notwithstanding.

As far as I'm concerned, Platinum is a much better main game for this Generation. All HGSS has going for it is fluff and aesthetics. Gimmicks like following Pokémon and very few actual worthwhile additions such as new Move Tutors, IV Breeding and a few new learnsets don't make it superior in any way. Ultimately, to each their own, but I can't see any advantage in moving to HGSS. I'd rather stay in Platinum.

fierylord

Charmander! Yay!
DPPt is way better imo, VS.SEEKER PLZ.

I just like them more.

But HGSS has affected my life, I have skipped three days of school, skipping two more.

trade_me_for_a_celebi

Training to beat Red
I don't own HG/SS yet. However I do have a hunch I will enjoy HG/SS more than D/P/Pt. Since I was as many, one who fell in love with Johto as a kid, it will already have a huge advantage there. But also I won't forget Sinnoh and D/P/Pt was a great add to pokemon. In the end, I'll end up playing HG/SS over Diamond but it's all just for fun anyway ;)

ArPeeGee

With the release of Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, my view over Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have changed dramatically.

1) The graphics, in D/P/Pt. a lot of people thought the graphics were amazing, but with HG/SS out there with their new and improved graphics, I just don't see how Nintendo could make D/P/Pt.'s graphics look crappy towards HG/SS, since they were only a couple of years in between the 2.

2) Now then, since they remade the 2nd gen, does that mean in the 5th gen, can we expect to see 3rd gen remade? I never really liked the 3rd gen too much, and it had a lot to do with all the surfing, and stupid water routes. And what happens when the 6th gen comes out, are they going to remake the 4th gen? Is this going to be a continuous
thing? Will Nintendo keep getting my money? The answer too all of those questions is yes, they will keep remaking the games, as long as the fans want them to be remade.

3) Since Fire Red/Leaf Green were just a way to complete your Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Pokedex, what are HG/SS used for? I mean the Pokeradar, and Pal Park took care of this problem in D/P/Pt. so why make another remake bunch? I mean was it to get more money, or was it to full fill the fan's demands?

4) When HG/SS was release they came with the Pokewalker. When FR/LG were released, they came with that wireless adapter. With the wireless adapter, came the ability to battle and trade with out having a cord, and you could do this up to 20 Ft. away. Then Wi-F- came, so in a way the Wireless Adapter was like a Beta version of Wi-Fi, so what could this mean for the Pokewalker? Is this just a beta of something bigger that Nintendo is planning on releasing? We shall see.

Now I have nothing against HG/SS, I am actually getting both =P so I am not hating, I am just stateing how HG/SS affected my veiw on D/P/Pt.