• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How have you been amazed and confused by Pokemon Special?

matt0044

Title says it all. Pokemon Special has good thing and not-so-good things about it but sometimes the writer likes to surprise and confuse us. Like how the Manga's story expands on the Pokemon games' aspects or how the Elite Four of Kanto is evil or how Green's (Blue) Ditto can form into inanimate objects such as keys.

So feel free to reply so long as you keep on topic.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Hmm...Maybe how Silver's Murkrow could--never mind! How Crys's NATU could fly! lol but pretty much, PokeSpe AMAZES me! :D

matt0044

Hmm...Maybe how Silver's Murkrow could--never mind! How Crys's NATU could fly! lol but pretty much, PokeSpe AMAZES me! :D

What confuses me is the Kanto Elite Four's powers (mainly Lorelei and Agatha). How are they able to do that? Where did they gain their Powers? The writer never explains!

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
What confuses me is the Kanto Elite Four's powers (mainly Lorelei and Agatha). How are they able to do that? Where did they gain their Powers? The writer never explains!

I don't think you are supposed to know...It's one of the mysteries I guess...:/ Maybe it's something similar to Lance/Yellow/Giovanni they had to live in a certain place maybe...

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Giovanni never had powers

although the HGSS arc that makes him go missing along with lance and if I'm going to assume...yellow

he may have powers

ForeverFlame

I like how a lot of the gym leaders are evil. The games always portrayed every gym leader but Giovanni as good or neutral, so character expansion is always good.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was amazed by some of the mechanics in Pokemon Special. In the games, most things happen and they're unexplained but thanks to the manga, there was some clarification on concepts like PokeBalls. I always wondered how trainers distinguished the Pokemon in PokeBalls since there is no real way to tell the difference in the games. But in Special, the PokeBalls are revealed to be slightly transparent so trainers can easily tell them apart.

mistycerulean

I also think that the Elite Four being evil surprised me a bit. But it was a nice idea.

matt0044

Another thing that confuses me is the Badge Amplifier and Cerise Island. How the hell do they work?

Crobat breeder

The badges all have powers in the game. like your attack is boosted by the Boulderbadge if I don't remember wrong. And when all these powers are gathered the "Super Pokemon" would show up.

matt0044

The badges all have powers in the game. like your attack is boosted by the Boulderbadge if I don't remember wrong. And when all these powers are gathered the "Super Pokemon" would show up.

Yes, but I wish they'd explain the mechanics behind the amplifier and how the Super Pokemon is created.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
Is Yellow pretending to be a boy in Viz's translation or did they make her into a boy? >_>; I bought volumes 1-8 of Adventures 2nd print and I am confused!

Edit: Nevermind, someone told me.

Last edited:

SmartD

I'm amazed that they take locations like the Battle Frontier and the Sevii Islands and make them part of a big story. And how they make new characters like Yellow and Emerald for the manga.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
That's one of the "confuses me" things about Special. Giovanni shows up in the battle against Lance and says he can fight Lance "for I am from the Viridian Forest too!" But while he's seen battling Lance, he doesn't ever seem to show the same powers of mind-reading and healing that Lance and Yellow have. So is he just "from the area" or does he actually have those powers?

Other than that, I've been "amazed" by the fact that character growth is so well done in the same franchise that brought us Ash (I keep hoping he'll eventually evolve as a character, too...), and the fact that the "goals" of the characters differ from arc to arc. The Gold/Silver/Crystal arc didn't even have Gym battles, but it didn't hurt the plot at all.

PokePika22

what confuses me is that I don't understand how come in pokemon adventures vl.8 that silver dosen't know Team Rocket.I heard he was Giovanni's son!

PokePika22

what confuses me is that I don't understand how come in pokemon adventures vl.8 that silver dosen't know Team Rocket.I heard he was Giovanni's son!

Rex Kamex

I'm surprised that Wally was being set up to be the "Emerald" character of the manga, and then later on the real Emerald showed up.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
PokePika22, the reason Silver doesn't know about Team Rocket/Giovanni is revealed as the G/S/C arc continues, and further explained in the FireRed/LeafGreen arc. Keep reading and you'll understand.

The other thing that confuses me has to do with the English translation's name swap for Blue and Green. I understand that when the manga was first released here, the companion game for Red was Blue. But FireRed and LeafGreen had been released by the time it was re-released. To me it would have made more sense to give them their original names again. Can't wait to see how they translate Mewtwo's musing about their names and starter types when the FireRed/LeafGreen arc gets translated.

matt0044

I don't think you are supposed to know...It's one of the mysteries I guess...:/ Maybe it's something similar to Lance/Yellow/Giovanni they had to live in a certain place maybe...

I just like things better when there's a logical explanation behind it. Without one, it kinda seems like the writer is making this up as they go along.