• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How is anger a sin?

The Director

Ancient Trainer
There is no good and evil or sins as it is all a matter of perspective. Do you reckon that Hitler believed his deeds to be evil? Humanity has a need to justify itself and it is very rare for someone to do something "evil" without a good reason in there head e.g. I must have this abortion as i can't support the baby and we both will suffer if it lives.

All of those "sins" are all evolutionary advantages and part of being human. To try and deny them is to renounce your humanity (although i did that a long time ago, I think its a good thing). If they weren't evolutionary advantages then we wouldn't have them. The problem isn't having these emotions or acting on them but to not keep them balanced e.g. If an entire nation wasn't angry at the Nazi's in WW2 would we have won? Anger can make us stronger, more powerful and make us make faster decisions in crisis. The problem is when we get, angry to quickly, easily or forget to remember the other things. e.g. rushing at an enemy in anger and forgetting about the trap door.

All "sins" are useful when balanced. If people weren't slightly greedy then the food we need to keep going will go to someone else who might not need it as much as you.
Lust is there so that the human race can survive if we did not have it then we would die out faster than are reproduction rate.

I could go on but i've run out of time and my gluttony is telling me that I should cook dinner.

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
I know! I was thinking about this and it makes abosuletly no sense! How is any natural emotion a sin? People get angry, people get jealous and greedy and lazy too! how is basic human feelings anything to be ashamed of?

-Its not the feelings themselves, its givig into them in a harmful manner
jealousy is unavoidable, but giving into jealousy by spiting or hurting the person who your jealous of would be Envy
-Desire for personal possessions attacks us every now and again. Selfishness in at least one way permeats our very nature. But going out of your way, killing anyone standing in your path, to attain personal possessions is Greed.
-Sexual feelings are a biological mechanism created to allow life to exist. Over-doing it, however, is a nearly-human-exclsuive trait. To go overboard and give in to every sexual emotion that passes through your head, going after the opposite sex just because of a primal need and without love...is Lust.
-Being hungry or thirsty is not bad within itself, it is a warning mechanism triggered in the brain either due to lack of a certain thing or some sort of dysfunction. Indulgence of hunger or thirst is not a bad thing...but going beyond simply curing it is...eating more than you want, or drinking more than you should (alcoholic or none) is Gluttony.
-Being apathetic hunts every teenager. being lazy hits everyone. "Hard works pays off later, but laziness always pays off now", no? We all think and feel that from time to time. But wasting your life and cutting yourself off from society, becoming blind to other people's feelings and hurts and loves just to satisfy laziness is Sloth.
-Being proud of yourself isn't a bad thing. Having a good self-esteem isn't bad ether. It makes us happy and usually happiness means a better chance that we will not harm one another. Happiness is contagious after all...but being too prideful, being so caught up in yourself and so rigidly unwilling to drop your petty principals even is someone must suffer for it, that is Pride.
-Of course, as mentioned before, mere anger is something we all feel as a response to emotional or physical pain...but acting out in anger to hurt others is Wrath.

That's pretty much the difference between the 7 sins and the emotions from which they stem. Note however that every human who has ever lived...possibly...has been seduced by an over-indulgence in these emotions, thus generating a sin. It is unavoidable by our nature, but through diligence you can at least make the amount of these commited sins minimal...and through a fanatical diligence, maybe even cleanse yourself of them completely...

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
I had always thought of anger being a sin because even though it's a human emotion, we're supposed to better ourselves and try to get over our human weaknesses. It also depends on what makes you angry. Getting angry if someone murdered another person on purpose and without good reason (being that they're not in the military or something) is okay because it's also showing that you love and care.

If you're angry for something simple like, you want something but you're parents can't buy it (if you're not 5 or six, but are around ten or eleven) then you at least shouldn't throw tantrums. It's alright to feel inside anger, but taking it out on other people or throwing objects or such is a sin.

That's my view on the subject for now, at least.

-Sexual feelings are a biological mechanism created to allow life to exist. Over-doing it, however, is a nearly-human-exclsuive trait. To go overboard and give in to every sexual emotion that passes through your head, going after the opposite sex just because of a primal need and without love...is Lust.
I wouldn't call that harmful unless it turns into rape.

Yeah, but I did hear from a guy at school that humans and dolphins are the only 2 species on earth that will mate for reasons besides reproduction. Humans are also the only species that will eat for reasons besides hunger. Almost all of the Seven Deadly Sins appear in the animal kingdom: Lust-rabbits; Pride-cats (God's little narcisists); Sloth-sloths; Gluttony-sharks; Greed-monkeys (coincidence?); Envy-can't think of anything; Anger-bulls.
of course, the best example of anger I know of -the bull- usually releases its famous aggresion only against those who initially aggrivated it; unlike humans, who just go for the nearest thing in sight and beat the pulp out of it.

pokeaidmissy

Its actually not a sin to be angry. Jesus was angry at one point at the temple (Mark 11: 15-18). However, it is a sin to act upon our anger (Ephesians 4:26). If we are to be angry, we need to have a good reason and we need to be wise about our anger, as Christ was (Proverbs 29:8). He had what is called a 'righteous anger', which is a characteristic of God (Psalm 7:11).

For example, your little sister hits you. You have two choices, ignore her and walk away, though you are angry and want to hit her back, or actually hit her back. Its one thing to be angry and want to hit your sister back, but another story by actually hitting her.

Besides, according to Proverbs 20:22, God's got your back, if you will let Him.

Yeah, no emotions have to be acted upon. The way I see it is, even though these malicious thoughts are running through your mind, if you are capable of resisting the urge to act upon them it should be considerred okay. Yes, as the bible says, it can be a sin just to think such sinful thoughts; but the bible also praises those who are able to resist temptation.
In thinking about hitting someone out of anger you are commiting a sin, but in resisting it and walking away you are showing true virtue. A good deed can counteract a bad deed, as they say.