• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How is anger a sin?

I know a lot about the Seven Deadly Sins, but what I do not understand is why Anger is one of them. Anger is listed as the most dangerous of the 7 because it is the sin that leads people to kill, but it is also a perfectly natural human emotion. Like it or not, we all feel anger when circumstances favor it. By definition it is an emotion, whereas things like Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Pride, Greed, and Envy are all based on personal issues and habits. You don't get angry out of habit, and I don't want to meet the guy who does. The Bible tells us to avoid sins, but how can we avoid one if it is an emotion as opposed to an action?

Cyan

Mortal
They mean uncontrolable anger

Ethan

Banned
Its because anger isn't a sin, the bible makes it clear that its only wrong if you sin in your anger. Hell, even God rolled up his sleeves and drove the pharisees out of the temple with a whip, its safe to say he was pissed.

Zora

perpetually tired
I think it means chronic anger. IE someone who is so fed up with said thing that it leads them to do commit heinous acts against said thing. We are all going to have our short bursts of rage, that cant be help, but those short bursts most of us feel aren't chronic.

Erienne

Anime high :D
Its because anger isn't a sin, the bible makes it clear that its only wrong if you sin in your anger. Hell, even God rolled up his sleeves and drove the pharisees out of the temple with a whip, its safe to say he was pissed.

That post sums it all up. God would be a hypocrite for making justifiable anger a sin, since there are many occasions in the Bible where he blows up people just because they were sinning: Sodom and Gemorrah... well, he almost destroyed them but the Israelites, the pharisees and so many more I can't remember.

People get angry once in a while, and that's perfectly natural. But if you have this rage towards the world, unresolved and potentially dangerous, that's where it is a sin.

Profesco

gone gently
This link will explain why fear, anger and hate are all sins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJeKS0gNz48

8D! Yay, Tim!

Well, I was going to try and draw a distinction between anger as an emotion and Wrath, which is really what the sin would be, I'd think, but Porygandrew rendered me obsolete. :p

I'll just say that all emotions are normal to feel; one can't control their psychology to the point that they can remove or manipulate their emotions. I suppose it's when your actions become influenced by anger that you're starting to cross a line.

*shrugs*

Yeah, I dunno...

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
Actually the Seven Deadly Sins are: Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Greed, Pride, Envy, and WRATH. Wrath is like anger only much worse because the anger drives the person to commit sins (Like murder, rape, etc.) Hope it helps. And yes I got wrath from the movie Se7en.

Sorry beaten to the punch about Wrath. Darn it. I knew I shouldn't have scrolled that fast. I thought I got everything.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Anger can lead to revenge, and vengeance is a sin because you're not letting it go and allow the Lord take care of the problem. And of course, revenge leads to other sins, so it's just a snowball effect that can lead you to nowhere and make it harder to get out of. Anger is just the devil making you turn against God through other people.

People get angry because someone did something unacceptable to them, or they did it themselves but deny it and blame it on others (which makes other angry and goes into a loop). It's a common emotion that gets out of hand very easily and quickly. It's just best to forgive the person and walk away, even if the person doesn't accept it.

Elrade

Snarky snark snark.
uncontrollable anger is more of an emotion than a sin.

In my mind, hatred would make a much better deadly sin than anger. Everyone can lose control at times; however, hatred of someone else is far more dangerous than merely getting angry at them. Unfortunately, since hatred is often encouraged by certain Christian groups, nobody would see it as a sin because they claim that God hates gays and junk. Anger burns hot, and will burn itself out in a while, but hatred, hatred burns much colder, conserving its energy until it explodes. And when hatred explodes, someone dies. Just look at the hatred that caused the Holocaust or 9/11. That was far more of a sin than, say, a teen getting angry at her mother because she can't get a car.

Last edited:
Actually the Seven Deadly Sins are: Lust, Gluttony, Sloth, Greed, Pride, Envy, and WRATH. Wrath is like anger only much worse because the anger drives the person to commit sins (Like murder, rape, etc.) Hope it helps. And yes I got wrath from the movie Se7en.

Sorry beaten to the punch about Wrath. Darn it. I knew I shouldn't have scrolled that fast. I thought I got everything.

That is what I thought for a long time, but at the end of last year they had a seven episode special on the History Channel detailing the 7 Deadly Sins, and in place of Wrath they had Anger. Wrath is, as many of you have said, caused by anger, but this show was saying that any act of anger is a sin. This is one of those confusing times where every time I think I know the answer I learn that I had been correct before changing my opinion in the first place.

Rensch

I've always found Anger to be the weirdest of the 7 sins.

If you have any set of values, christian values for example, there must be something you can get angry from.

However if anger is meant in the sense of aggression, it makes sense.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Its not a sin, its what you do while your in that emotion is whats sinfull.

I find that you really shouldn't be angry al the time, if not at all.

pokemaster001

that's because religion wants you to betray your natural feelings and if you can't to give them money or pour your heart out to explain why so they have complete control of your minds

Mime1020

Heart Gold =)
Anger isn't a sin but using angry wrongly like violence is bad. Example When people in the bible were selling animals for sacrafice at a temple Jesus had religious anger and kicked them out literally.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•

Pretty much sums it up. lol.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I think all those emotions are (somewhat) part of human nature. I think everyone gets tired sometimes, or get jealous of others sometimes, just some do it more. Also, some people get mad more often.

But what I don't get is why it's considered a sin if God gets mad sometimes. I mean, when he got mad, he killed everyone except eight people. So, why is getting so mad that you break a window a sin when he who is perfect caused much more damage in his anger?

Though one could say that only the people who were writing the bible thought God was actually mad. I've been told people portray God as having human feelings, so maybe he wasn't actually mad.

It's confusing. But in any case, you can pretty much say that everyone gets a little big headed, or tired, or jealous at times, just like everyone gets a little mad at times. The sin is going overboard with them.

...Though the seven deadly sins is a Catholic idea, right? I is not a Catholic...