• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How Likely Will the Remaining Pokémon Turn Up in Hisui?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Assuming that Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl has not only every Pokémon from Generations I through IV, but no Pokémon after that, it still leaves some big holes in the National Pokédex spanning Generations V through VII. To that end, in this post, I will list every Pokémon line not found in Sword and Shield or Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, along with my thoughts and how likely I think they'll be there. If we assume Pokémon Legends: Arceus to be the last major Pokémon release of this generation, and they intend to complete the Pokédex by the end of it, then it falls onto this game to fill in all the gaps.

Let me know if I've missed any or accidentally included Pokémon already available in Generation VIII prior to Pokémon Legends: Arceus.

The likelihood I'll predict is based on the following scale:
Confirmed
Highly Likely
Likely
Uncertain
Unlikely
Highly Unlikely
Definitely Not

Snivy / Servine / Serperior - Likely
Since Oshawott is confirmed, then it makes sense that wherever Professor Laventon got Oshawott from, he could also source out the other Unova starters, such as Snivy.

Tepig / Pignite / Emboar - Likely
I put the Tepig line in the same likelihood as the Snivy line due to the means to get Tepig, if it exists, to be the same as the means to get Snivy.

Oshawott / Dewott / Samurott - Confirmed
There's no need to say anything else about this--we already know Oshawott is in this game.

Patrat / Watchog - Unlikely
Patrat and Watchog are based on crossing guards and construction zone lookouts. In particular, Watchog's stripe pattern resembles a reflective safety jacket. While such things existed in the real-world Industrial Age, they aren't quite the same in appearance as they are now. As a result, Patrat and Watchog may look out of place in Hisui.

Pansage / Simisage - Likely
Pansear / Simisear - Likely
Panpour / Simipour - Likely
Though they fall into the same pattern as Patrat and Watchog in that their fur patterns resemble more modern fashions, particularly those of the 1950s, I think they're not quite as pronounced and wouldn't look that out of place. A hindrance, however, may be the fact that they evolve with Evolution Stones, which might not be easy to come by in this game. (Or not. Who knows?)

Blitzle / Zebstrika - Uncertain
They're based on African animals but debuted in a region resembling New York City and northern New Jersey. Anything's up in the air with this line.

Sewaddle / Swadloon / Leavanny - Highly Likely
Hokkaido was a long-time participant in the silk trade by the Industrial Age. Though not exactly the same kind of creatures for inspiration, this whole line could fit right in.

Ducklett / Swanna - Highly Likely
There are no native swan species in Hokkaido, but in the real world, Black Swans were introduced there during the 19th century and became naturalized without becoming invasive. To reflect that, I think they'll put Ducklett and Swanna into freshwater areas.

Deerling / Sawsbuck - Highly Likely
Due to seasons being reflected in this game, it would be a shame NOT to have a Pokémon made for the seasons gimmick in Pokémon Black and White.

Alomomola - Likely
On one hand, an ocean sunfish would not fit in. On the other, a Pokémon dedicated entirely to healing would be useful to have around.

Tynamo / Eelektrik / Eelektross - Highly Likely
Lampreys have long been a staple animal of the Sea of Japan, so why not? (In addition, lampreys have been the victim of overfishing in recent decades, which can make for a plausible explanation for their absence in present-day Sinnoh.)

Meloetta - Highly Unlikely
Most likely saved for a special event.

Genesect - Highly Unlikely
Like with Meloetta, most likely saved for a special event.

Chespin / Quilladin / Chesnaught - Uncertain
As a representative of the last line of starters not yet available, I have no idea how they'll be distributed, if they will at all. If anything, as Chesnaught in particular represents old-fashioned fighters in fantasy settings, there may be in-game events to get a Chespin.

Fennekin / Braixen / Delphox - Uncertain
While foxes' association with fire is a part of Japanese folklore about the kitsune, this IS a starter line, which again means they cannot be found in the wild and must be given to you via an in-game event. I have no idea if such an event may occur though.

Froakie / Frogadier / Greninja - Highly Likely
Would they really turn down a Pokémon based on a ninja?

Scatterbug / Spewpa / Vivillon - Highly Likely
Catching these bugs feels like a very natural part of the game. In addition, Pokémon Legends: Arceus may provide alternate ways to obtain the rare Vivillon wing patterns.

Litleo / Pyroar - Unlikely
Though there are no lions native to France, they appear in a lot of French iconography. As Hokkaido doesn't have any such cultural importance on lions, I don't think they'll be here, or they'll be here in Hisuian forms representing related creatures like lion-dogs.

Flabébé / Floette / Florges - Likely
Hisui is shown to have large fields of flowers. It would not look strange to see Flabébé and maybe Floette and Florges wandering around within them.

Skiddo / Gogoat - Likely
Domesticated goats had arrived in Japan centuries prior to the Industrial Age and soon spread to all islands where people live. Genetically, they are very close to or are the same as domesticated goats elsewhere in the world, so if Skiddo and Gogoat are in this game, they'll be the same kinds as introduced in X and Y. The motorcycle aspects would probably be downplayed, however.

Furfrou - Unlikely
Poodles had existed during the 19th century but were rare and reserved for the elite of society. During Hisui's time, Furfrou probably exists but would not be found in Hisui itself. That being said, it doesn't rule out the possibility of a Furfrou imported in for novelty.

Diancie - Highly Unlikely
As a Mythical Pokémon outside of Generation IV, if Diancie shows up at all, there will be a special event for it.

Hoopa - Highly Unlikely
Like with Diancie, this would necessitate a special event too.

Pikipek / Trumbeak / Toucannon - Uncertain
Though Pikipek, based on a woodpecker, might not look out of place (there are woodpeckers native to Hokkaido), Toucannon, being based on a toucan, would. Hence, I don't know if this line would work or not.

Yungoos / Gumshoos - Highly Unlikely
The story behind Yungoos and Gumshoos being in Alola is pretty thoroughly fleshed out: they came from another region and were brought over as an attempt to control the Rattata and Raticate problem but became invasive themselves. There isn't much room to justify them being in another region except the one they're native to.

Crabrawler / Crabominable - Uncertain
On one hand, they're based on the coconut crab, which exists only on a few select islands in Polynesia. (For the record, Hawaii is a part of Polynesia.) On the other, just like Sinnoh, Hisui is characterized by coastlines up to snowy mountains, the range of environments for Crabrawler and Crabominable to feel at home.

Oricorio - Unlikely
Oricorio was designed to demonstrate divergent evolution (in the Darwinian sense), and it is tied to the fact that Alola has four main islands. In a sense, Game Freak designed Oricorio into a wall with it, as it would struggle to fit in anywhere but Alola. It does look like a nonspecific bird enough that if they don't draw attention to it though, no one will notice.

Minior - Highly Likely
Meteor showers can occur anywhere on the planet (and in fact, as of the time I'm typing this, the Leonid meteors are going on), and Minior in particular is associated with high altitudes. I could see Minior swarming around the Spear Pillar area every now and then.

Komala - Uncertain
We haven't had an Australia-themed region yet, and I think Komala was designed intentionally as based on something that doesn't belong in the very region it was introduced. Unlike the Yungoos and Litleo lines, there is no explanation whatsoever for Komala's presence, so it can potentially show up in any other region completely unexplained.

Bruxish - Unlikely
There are reefs off the coasts of Hokkaido, but they're far too cold to have triggerfish. Unlike with Alomomola, there'd really be no reason for Bruxish to be present in Hisui except for Pokédex-filling purposes, but the Pokémon series has overall not really cared about oceanic conditions and marine Pokémon--as long as it's saltwater, any Pokémon based on a saltwater creature is fair game.

All this said, there would probably have to be a reason they're not in modern-day Sinnoh, and for most of these, I'd have no explanation. Some of the starters as exotic pets maybe, some of them exterminated in later efforts to cull non-native species, but there would be no explanation as to why, say, you could find Minior in historical Sinnoh but not modern Sinnoh considering they fall from outer space and should theoretically still be present today. If you disagree with any of these, feel free to say so too.

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Besides possibly the other starters, I just don't think we'll see any of these Pokemon until next gen.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The Pokemon in Hisui so far have been mostly Gen I - IV, with the Pokemon above that either being starters, base form for new evolutions, or have Hisuian forms.

Oshawott- Starter
Rowlet- Starter
Braviary- Hisuian form
Zoroark- Hisuian form
Basculin- New evolution

Also, this isn't that many of them, so I don't think we'll see all of them in Legends Arceus, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Also interesting to note is that out of these, only Oshawott has not been in Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Between Sword and Shield, BDSP and Pokémon Legends: Arceus, the rest of the currently missing Pokémon will all be available in Pokémon Legends: Arceus. That’s what I think anyway.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm going to make a rather bold prediction in that 2022 (maybe early 2023) we'll see a game that will have the rest of the Pokemon.

For my aforementioned reasoning, I don't see many Pokemon past Gen IV getting into Legends Arceus unless they are tied to something new.

As a counterpoint, while it would seem rather antithetical for past Gen IV Pokemon to be in Sinnoh's (Hisui's) first ever Pokedex, maybe Hisui had more Pokemon in it before human intervention.

Pokemon Power

Genesect and Diancie can be transferred into Sword and Shield. Have been since the release of the Crown Tundra. If you're talking about if they'll be catchable, all I can say is "Who knows".

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I do like your reasonings for some of these, but some of the ones that you labelled as unlikely could get a regional variant. Like Fufrou, for example. Honestly, if anything, maybe any of the Pokemon that don't make it into these games will just get one final patch in Sw/Sh like the Mythicals, anyway. I suppose, if not, we'll see them in Gen 9.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Genesect and Diancie can be transferred into Sword and Shield. Have been since the release of the Crown Tundra. If you're talking about if they'll be catchable, all I can say is "Who knows".
Ah, I see. I didn't know about that. They...happen to be Pokémon I don't have AND Pokémon I never saw in that Wi-Fi event in Sword and Shield where Mythical Pokémon were allowed.

I do like your reasonings for some of these, but some of the ones that you labelled as unlikely could get a regional variant. Like Fufrou, for example. Honestly, if anything, maybe any of the Pokemon that don't make it into these games will just get one final patch in Sw/Sh like the Mythicals, anyway. I suppose, if not, we'll see them in Gen 9.
Is there a related breed of dog in Hokkaido at the time? I think most dog breeds in Japan at the time were of the spitz type (I know the Shiba Inu and the Akita are both spitzes), whereas poodles were not.

That being said, Furfrou is one of the Pokémon on this list whose real-world counterpart is domesticated and did exist in Hisui's time period of roughly the mid- to late-18th century, so it wouldn't be out of place for a wealthy NPC to have one.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I see no reason not to just throw in the remaining Pokemon from 5th-7th gen. It's a prequel that doesn't have to adhere to the framework of DP, and there are already some Pokemon that aren't in the Sinnoh Dex and some Hisuian forms of some 5th gen Pokemon. They can take liberties with this one to fill in the gaps, and the game could use them to help fill out the roster.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I see no reason not to just throw in the remaining Pokemon from 5th-7th gen. It's a prequel that doesn't have to adhere to the framework of DP, and there are already some Pokemon that aren't in the Sinnoh Dex and some Hisuian forms of some 5th gen Pokemon. They can take liberties with this one to fill in the gaps, and the game could use them to help fill out the roster.
Pretty much this one. Also, for the sake of having all Pokemon available in the Switch, they really need to bring the remaining ones in. That way, Gen 9 can have the actual National Dex again.

Ranadiel

Pretty much this one. Also, for the sake of having all Pokemon available in the Switch, they really need to bring the remaining ones in. That way, Gen 9 can have the actual National Dex again.
Even if they put all the currently missing Pokemon in Legends, I don't think that will result in Gen 9 having a National Dex. I think their plan (assuming they don't change plans between generations again) is that each generation will have a "tent pole" game which will be the game for competitive use and it will start with a limited set of Pokemon that will expand over the course of the generation as new DLC and games enable you to catch them in that generation until the "tent pole" game has all the Pokemon at the end of the generation. Then we start all over again with the next generation and a new limited set of Pokemon.

In that framework, I imagine that we will get all of the remaining 5th-7th gen Pokemon in Legends, although I would not surprised if there ends up being a DLC that adds a new area with the last of them.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I agree with Bolt the Cat, there's no lore reason for why these Pokemon can't appear in Hisui and you can always write them out as species that moved to different areas or disappeared with time. Also, like Wulava said, we do need a game that provides the rest of these Pokemon into the generation and with Legends Arceus looking to be the last mainline game of this generation this is the last chance these could show up.

The only hesitation I have is that the only post Gen 4 Pokemon we've seen have had regional forms (or are the Starters), but even than nothing stops this set from getting them either.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Flabébé / Floette / Florges - Likely
Hisui is shown to have large fields of flowers. It would not look strange to see Flabébé and maybe Floette and Florges wandering around within them.

Skiddo / Gogoat - Likely
Domesticated goats had arrived in Japan centuries prior to the Industrial Age and soon spread to all islands where people live. Genetically, they are very close to or are the same as domesticated goats elsewhere in the world, so if Skiddo and Gogoat are in this game, they'll be the same kinds as introduced in X and Y. The motorcycle aspects would probably be downplayed, however.
I would really like to see Geisha-style Hisuian Flabebe line. For their typing I could see a Dark/Fairy or Ghost/Fairy. Not sure if the lady Pokemon that was rumored, but a Dark or Ghost/Fairy Florges as a warden would be a cool fight.

A Ground type Skiddo and a Ground/Steel type Hisuian Gogoat would be cool. If humans were using the Gogoat to carry around cargo that would make sense for the time period.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Something I want to point out is that lampreys and hagfish were historically abundant in the Sea of Japan, but their numbers have drastically declined over the 20th and 21st centuries due to overfishing. That may be justification to finding the Tynamo line in Hisui but not Sinnoh. I'll add that to the original post.

I would really like to see Geisha-style Hisuian Flabebe line. For their typing I could see a Dark/Fairy or Ghost/Fairy. Not sure if the lady Pokemon that was rumored, but a Dark or Ghost/Fairy Florges as a warden would be a cool fight.

A Ground type Skiddo and a Ground/Steel type Hisuian Gogoat would be cool. If humans were using the Gogoat to carry around cargo that would make sense for the time period.
Variants of Skiddo and Gogoat would be neat, but genetically, goats are very similar all around the world due to their adaptability and all-purpose usefulness. Doesn't rule out the possibility though.

As for the Flabébé line, and Florges in particular, that's a good point, as Florges's design can lend itself to many different variants. Heck, even exposure to different flowers could cause regional forms. The same can arguably be said with Oricorio, whose known variations are based on the flower nectar it feeds on.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Even if they put all the currently missing Pokemon in Legends, I don't think that will result in Gen 9 having a National Dex. I think their plan (assuming they don't change plans between generations again) is that each generation will have a "tent pole" game which will be the game for competitive use and it will start with a limited set of Pokemon that will expand over the course of the generation as new DLC and games enable you to catch them in that generation until the "tent pole" game has all the Pokemon at the end of the generation. Then we start all over again with the next generation and a new limited set of Pokemon.

In that framework, I imagine that we will get all of the remaining 5th-7th gen Pokemon in Legends, although I would not surprised if there ends up being a DLC that adds a new area with the last of them.
Well true. But at least there is a strong possibility that we'll be able to transfer all Pokemon that are outside of the regional dex from the get go.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I know Legends Arceus, is a main series title, but Game Freak has allowed games that were either smaller scale (BDSP), unorthrodox (Legends), or both (LGPE). The one thing that strikes me a bit funny is the fact that many new Pokemon appear in Legends Arceus where the battling is rather unconventional. With all that, will we see these new Pokemon in a conventional fighting game like with Sword and Shield? It would be cool to see them fight in a normal as well as unusual battle setting. Also with Legends (and BDSP) not going into ranking mode, maybe Sword/Shield will get another upgrade. The other possibility would be to see them in Gen 9, but I think that depends partially on what the new Pokemon games are going to be (late gen 8 or early gen 9).

Aside from all that, I don't know how much a complete national dex for the generation starting games will really come to be a reality. It could happen this generation, but in the future, with more advance tech and more Pokemon, the task will only get harder and harder. That said, I would like to see every Pokemon be in Switch titles, be it Generation 8 or in Generation 9 (assuming it's on the Switch as well).

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
If the starters can be imported from HOME then i'm fine with it.