• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long ago did Professor Oak create the first electronic Pokédex?

Was it just invented at the time of Red, Blue, and Yellow or was it created before that? I'm referring to the actual electronic device(not the actual act of studying pokemon. I know that it's been around for hundreds/thousands of years as shown in LA.).

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
In terms of the anime universe, considering Oak traveled to 2001 in the events of the 4th movie at age 10, this would put his start of college in 1969. He probably would have invented this in the late 1970s, when he would be in his late 20s.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
@ Willow: Thousands may be a stretch; Hisui is based around the Meji Restoration I believe, so it's probably at most a few hundred years ago.

I kind of believe that at least the modern electrical Pokedex was a recent invention in RBGY. That's why Professor Oak put focus on wanting you to complete the dex

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
@ Willow: Thousands may be a stretch; Hisui is based around the Meji Restoration I believe, so it's probably at most a few hundred years ago.

I kind of believe that at least the modern electrical Pokedex was a recent invention in RBGY. That's why Professor Oak put focus on wanting you to complete the dex
As far as we know Hisui has the oldest pokedex of any type in the form a notebook and either photos or professional artist. Professor Oak must have been fascinated by all the pokemon's he saw but he was already getting old when the technology was advanced enough.

But how the anime version of "Dexter" already has pokemon entries available would mean that Professor Oak had a mostly complete version that he gave to Ash. But despite having been in the past and and met Celebi and several Johto pokemon, he still decided on making a Kanto dex.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The games never explains the soft reboot that is adding more Pokemon, and your second paragraph is just an example of that