• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long and why have you been watching the anime? Will you continue watching? Why?

Wish I could better word this, but yeah. I also wanted to add this part: " When or if will you stop and why would you stop watching? "

PS: If anyone could come up with a better name for this, I would be eternally thankful

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I watch it for like 18-19 years and I guess I will stop watching once I get tired of the franchise as a whole.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I've often off and on watched the anime since I discovered it at age 10. But I've never been very consistent and have not watched much of the Johto and Hoenn arcs. As of right now, I've been meaning to catch up on the SM episodes I have not watched yet and fully intend too. At present, I'll eventually get around to watching episodes I haven't seen.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I've watched it since I was 5. Now I'm 22. So it's been 17 years. Honestly, I guess it's a guilty pleasure, and something I've been following for the majority of my life, so even if I want to, I can't quit midway.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Whenever it first aired in the US, that's how long.
I'm not going to go look at the date

And I'll keep watching until they retire the TRio

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I have been watching the show for 16-17 years, from when I was 7 to now being 24 currently. I will watch the show because I love the concept of the show, Pokemon, battles, trainers battling against each other etc, and to see Ash's journey. As the show is progressing, I'm losing interest in it more or more because it's going in circles. The writers are constantly finding some way to stop him from winning a League and thus, take a major step further in his goal. But it's very difficult to stop watching a show you have been watching from the childhood, and when you love the entire concept of the show. Yes, I love the concept of the show, but I hate, yes, I hate the direction of the show, the way it's going in circles in terms of Ash's progression. I know, in that case, I can just read superbly written fanfictions, but then again, I can only read, but not see them. So I guess...I will keep watching the show no matter what.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Geez, it's been slightly before the Battle Frontier arc when I started watching, and I mostly watch for the battles, the humor, and the side characters. I'll stop once I get bored with it.

SinnohEevee

I started watching when I was a kid, then "grew out" of the show, but went back to watch it last year after Pokémon Go came. I will stop watching when another regression happens, which I think is inevitable.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
On and off since the beginning. Watching when I get excitement from it, stopping when I get bored.

Watch it mainly for generation characters since they are more likely to have a conclusion to their story - and the Pokemon, or else I would just watch other anime.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
people stop watching a show when they lose interest, no? so i'll stop watching the anime if i lose interest in pokemon lol.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
I've been casually watching the Anime since the beginning. I was a little off and on with it and only watched the dub, but I started watching the sub during XY, and now I watch both versions. I watch it because I like the concept, the adventure, the characters, the Pokemon, nostalgia, etc...and I'll continue to watch it for as long as it exists. I've already invested all this time into it, so why stop now? Even if they never let Ash win a league, I believe they'll still continue to introduce new regions, characters, Pokemon, etc...and that's enough for me to continue watching the Anime.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Been watching it for ages, because I love seeing my favourite pokemon in action (admittedly I am also invested in Ash and his friends stories, perhaps unfortunately)

Will watch as long as I'm interested (I already lost interest once during gen 5/bw)

Vipsoccermaster

Whenever it first aired in the US, that's how long.
I'm not going to go look at the date

And I'll keep watching until they retire the TRio
Tuesday, September 8, 1998 (Episode 15 aired on Labor Day, which was Monday, September 7, 1998 as a sneak peek). Funny how the Pokémon anime in the United States started on my 9th birthday. And that's probably never, since Ash, Pikachu, Jessie, James, and Meowth are forever staying.

That being said, I've been watching since I turned 9 years old, now almost 28 years old. So almost a whole 19 years. I'm sure I missed a few first-time airings for different seasons prior to Diamond & Pearl, but I managed to watch every episode at least once. I'll continue to watch the anime, despite the flaws it may have. I just enjoy watching the Pokémon anime.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Guess I'll have to answer the same question that's had a thread over 5 times. :p

I started watching the show since 1999 despite being 3 years old, mainly due to having older brothers and it being the obsession at the time. I think the first episode I watched was the episode with catching Caterpie, Misty getting grossed out by it, and it being comforted by Pikachu & Ash. I never had an off period but I did skip a couple of episodes halfway through DP, because I really didn't like DP due to Dawn taking up all the screentime despite loving her, Team Rocket being straight annoying punching bags, and I couldn't stand seeing Ash being hormonal... it was just too serious at times for my taste. I played the game more than watch the anime but I never gave up on it. In later DP, I did watch a few episodes in Japanese (and hated getting spoiled by events that didn't happen yet since I watched the English dub) and I didn't start watching it in the original language thoroughly until Best Wishes started. So I watched the anime for 17/and a half so years and didn't watch it subbed until 7 years ago. I continue watching it because as others have said, they enjoy it and for me, I love the characters especially Ash and Pikachu, the journey, the adventures they have, the new Pokémon and regions we've yet to explore, the stories being told, and the ups, downs, and in between. So basically almost everything. I'll stop watching the anime once it actually ends but I'll keep up with the reruns and franchise. :p

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I started watching the anime dubbed when I was a tiny Satomine; I stopped watching it when I felt I was outgrowing it and had reached an age where I cared what people thought of someone my age watching Pokémon; and I started watching it again--this time in Japanese--when I reached an age where I started wearing nostalgia glasses and no longer cared what people thought of someone my age watching Pokémon. So, I suppose I have been watching it on and off for the past 20 years.

Will I continue watching the anime? Most likely, yes. I don't remember why I started watching Pokémon, but I do remember that I kept watching it for Ash's journey--the adventures he had, the battles he fought, the friends he met, the Pokémon he caught, etc. And those are the reasons I continue to watch the anime. I don't care if Ash never wins a league, because that's not why I watch the show. As long as Ash continues on his adventure, then I will have a reason to keep watching it.

Nafsika

The first time I watched pokemon it was during the OS!!! I still remember the Charmander episode and how I felt in love with him!!! But at some point got older and stop watching it!!! A year ago in 15th of August I was bored and was searching something funny to watch and I found in a forum the pokemon show so I decided to watch one episode!!! That day all the feelings and the childhood memories came back and from then I watch every single episode!!!! I won't lie I don't like all the characters but I love so much this show so I'll keep watching it for the entertainment that offers!!!

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
If we count the US dub, I started in 1998. I gave up on that a few years later, though. I saw Satoshi's epic three episode battle with Shinji back when it was originally airing, I believe (or shortly there after) and was enthralled but didn't stick around. In 2013 I began learning about the staff the anime, specifically Iwane Masa'aki, Asada Yuuji and Tomioka Atsuhiro, and began watching with XY Episode #1 and have stuck around since. The high-quality work and effort placed into that work by the staff really shines, so I have kept watching to consume their efforts.

SinnohEevee

How many of you will keep watching even after another Best Wishes (another regression)?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
How many of you will keep watching even after another Best Wishes (another regression)?

My enjoyment of the anime is not tied to whether or not Ash is regressed. He is not the only character to get invested in.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I'll be here. Another regression is just a test to weed out the weak ones. :p

But to be serious, Ash isn't the only character I'm invested in and his regression in BW wasn't that big of an issue for me since there were way more positives in BW than people gives it credit for... and I care more about Ash as a character than being seen as a badass battler.