• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long do Ash's journey take in real time?

I know it's an anime but I always wonder how how long Ash's journeys take.
I mean he goes to 'towns' and 'cities' to battle gym leaders, but they make
it look like he's walking cross country.

I can walk to the next town, even the one after that and still go back home to sleep in my own bed.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Hmmmm that is hard to say, but for one, I never considered the towns and cities as just towns ans cities.
I think of them as the American equivalent to states, cause like you said, walking to the next town is not a great journey.
Heck, I can walk up to 4 towns over and be back in a day. You see in my book walking form Pallet Town to Pewter City is like walking from Pennsylvania to Boston. (Desptie them being called towns and cities) It makes sense of everything and why it takes so long to get from one place to another. I mean 10 towns/cities don't make a whole bloody region.

I forget what episode or season (I know it was 1st or Orange Islands though) it was mentioned, but
Ash and Misty were talking about how it had been a year since they started traveling together.

Anyway you probably shouldn't even try to make sense of it.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
I say it probably takes Ash a few months/half a year to go through a region. If Ash didnt have all those side things to do, it would probably take less than that. But that is just my guess.

Alloute

Not Banned
I like to think that they take a year or so, but that the characters do not age, as they are immortal.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
I like to think the regions are rather small, like the size of different regions of Japan, like the Kanto region, so it wouldn't take a million miles to traverse the region, But some could be the size of larger countries too. I'd like to say it takes the characters a couple months, but we really don't know how much traveling they do off screen. I don't know it's just my take on things.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
About a year each series. I imagine Ash's Kanto journey being slightly longer then the others even though it was the shortest season because he made a lot of rookie mistakes and made one too many detours. In the following journeys he got more efficient in planning out his routes which helps cut down on time. To make it stretch out longer the new females and to some extent the original one were allowed to go off and fulfill their own goals.

The Pokemon League / Grand Festival are probably annual events. Both could be held over the summer with new Trainers being inducted just in time for the season to start in the Fall.

Jun's Heracross

Battle Ace
I'd go for a year-ish, because im guessing they hold the league at the same time every year but in each region it'll be a different time, so depending on that about a year.

Vernikova

Champion
Generally, the conception is that it takes a year to go across each region. The Orange Islands and Kanto Battle Frontier are included. I think that it also takes one year in actual time as well though it really wouldn't make sense since the characters don't appear to age.

Cris~Wigglytuff~

elite wigglejiggle!?
it takes a year to go thru each region(more or less)
its not supposed to make sense and we can assume that the game towns,anime towns,and probably other dozens of unmentioned minor towns all count to make each region seem like mini-countries or mega-states.
the Orange islands only took 4 months at most and 2 months at least but the BF was like 7-10 months long.
right now(DP130's)its been 4 years and 8-11 months since ash met pikachu.

harryheart

I say it probably takes Ash a few months/half a year to go through a region. If Ash didnt have all those side things to do, it would probably take less than that. But that is just my guess.

To be fair here I'm not just picking on you but also all the other people that have said its taken probably a few months. Remember the clip show - the first one of dp - they mentioned looking back at the previous years travelling - so that should help with a rough guess​

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
This seems like a character age thread cleverly disguised as something slightly different.

I also don't know why people put so much weight on that one Misty quote in Viridian, especially since such a time lapse has never been brought up since. It was basically a throwaway line, meant to convey the old memories of passing through. Throwaway line. Happens in many shows.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
my guess would be maybe 6-8 months for ash to get across a region.
i dont think its as long as a year because, if i remember correctly, in the pichu/pikachu short in movie 3 ash stated he met pikachu a year before that day & by then they were about halfway through johto.

bonslyclogsthetoilet

BoomGoesTheDynamite!
My crappy estimation...

Kanto = 1 year?
Orange = 4 months?
Johto = 1 year and few months?
Hoenn = 1 year and few months?
Kanto BF = 4-5 months?
Sinnoh = will be 1 year and few months?

~5.5 years after Sinnoh League?

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
Easy, each episode is one day, except if it clearly takes place over more.

And what of the inbetween events?

Anyway, I always imagined it would take time akin to walking back and forth my home country, Norway. Which, at a somewhat normal journeying tempo and regular stops in cities and for training would take something akin to a year. Such a walk would take you across a number of city-like cities a bit larger than what the Pokémon regions has, plus a grueling number of smaller villages and minor towns.

'tis what I use as a standard model, at least =P

Missfox22

Aurion
Ash would probably be as old as the kids now who watched pokemon when it first came out. That's just my guess XD

The Pie Maker
For his journey to be a complete pokemon master would take forever as 1. He never will 2. New leagues are created all the time 3. He lets stuff get in his way and takes a matter of episodes for him to get them to leave him alone (Except team rocket, their wannabe's)