• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long have you been an anime/manga fan?

Shadow XD001

I don't think I've made a topic in this section of the forums and I like anime, so why not? When did you start becoming an anime or manga fan?

For me, it started in summer 2013. I had watched some stuff as a kid but I would not consider myself an anime fan back then, nor did I even know what anime was back then. But I started watching Attack On Titan, and I loved it. Times have changed and I really don't care for it anymore but that's beside the point. Been a huge anime fan ever since. According to MAL, I haven't really watched TOO much but I prefer longer series.

As for manga, this isn't really my strong suit. I have finished the Rurouni Kenshin manga, simply because it differs from the anime after season 2. I only read it recently too. So, in short, I would not consider myself a manga fan, but I have a few series to read.

Tsumiki

Tsun Tsun~
My first real interaction with anime was with Naruto: Shippuden back in iirc 2008. I saw a friend watching it when I went over to his place and it looked like a bit of fun. I ended up borrowing his DVDs (which were bootleg I'm pretty sure) and watched everything he had which was up to the Hidan/Kakuzu arc iirc. After that I watched a few more series before life, nothing major, and then life got in the way and I couldn't do anything for a couple of years.

Fast forward to March of 2012 when I had the house to myself as the rest of my family were out for a couple of days to visit relatives and whatnot. Not having much to do after being done with my studies and whatnot, I decided to randomly watch Code Geass. I ended up watching all 25 episodes of R1 on the same day and finished R2 soon after.

As for manga, my reading manga is pretty much Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! It's something I'd like to get into at some point.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
I have been fixated with the way anime was drawn since I saw pokemon in 1998/1999. However, it was Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors in 2003 that made me get interested in drawing anime style and going into reading manga and watching anime. So I guess I was officially a fan since I was 10 years old.

Most of the manga I read in my early days were magical girl genre like Rayearth Knight, Tokyo Mew Mew, and some CLAMP stuff. Middle school was like my shonen days where I started watching Naruto, Bleach, FMA, and Shaman King. I also had a few anime that didn't really into shonen like Paranoia Agent and Neon Geneis Evangelion (starting my weird obsession with messed up anime). High school years was a mix of everything in genre like Elfen Lied, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Madoka, and Ouran High School club.

Now that I'm older, I hardly watch anime because there are few that genuinely interest me and I hate the new moe style. Recent anime I've been watching is Free!, Attack on Titans, and Kyousogiga. I have a list of anime I might watch, but I just haven't gotten around it mainly because of laziness and because of life. I'm currently trying to finish the 2nd season of Ghost in the Shell.

Vernikova

Champion
Probably early-mid 2000's. I've certainly become more casual since then, but I still consider myself a fan.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It wasn't much, honestly, though I'd say around the time Pokémon, Digimon and Cardcaptors were airing (I don't remember watching Sailor Moon even though Mom said I did--and I didn't know Speed Racer counted as anime back then). That was the first time I remember getting interested in anime, though I didn't know what it was until I entered middle school, which was when I borrowed a few anime titles from a friend such as Kodocha! and Scrapped Princess, and I got the Escaflowne movie on my thirteenth birthday. Kids WB/4KIDS was pretty much the only one airing anime on a regular basis (on regular TV), but I was becoming a bit casual with anime then. I got more into it when I entered high school when I learned about manga and other anime (taking a Japanese class helped). Of course, I don't have cable, so again I was limited in what I could watch. (Also, my mom is really strict toward anime, so that's why we didn't see a lot unless it aired on regular TV. Though we've gotten in Studio Ghibli films fine, starting with I believe Spirited Away.) But Fruits Basket was my first manga when I borrowed a volume from a classmate when I showed interest.

I really got into anime and manga when I entered college in 2010. Yeah, around my junior year of high school, I was surfing YouTube and the like for anime to watch if something caught my eye, but the more I learned about surfing the web, and that I would be fine on a Mac, I started looking for more sites to watch anime on. Then because I needed some kind of hobby, I started to collect more manga. MyAnimeList has helped me keep track of anime and manga as well as look up titles and the genres they fall under to see if I would be interested in watching them before I got into them.

So I'd say as an active fan, about four years now. But as a whole, I've pretty much grown up on it, as few and selective as the anime were.

Last edited:

Teebu

Mid to late 90's (it depresses me that half the people reading this probably weren't born then..) started with dragonball, move on to pokemon, yu gi oh etc. I don't watch a whole lot anymore but i do try to catch things if i see them on netflix.

Akashin

I found Sola while idly surfing Youtube one day about seven years ago, and from there I dove head first into anime. I've tapered off since (I only track a couple anime at a time these days and rarely bother picking through older anime for something to watch), but I still keep track of anime and watch the odd new show here and there. It's mainly a lack of interest in a lot of newer anime than a lack of interest in watching anime at all that's got me watching so little, though.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Well, I found out that a lot of the shows I watched as a kid were anime (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Little Nemo, Cyborg 009 etc. etc.) but I really started watching it a few years ago, when I was entertainment deprived and discovered that a lot of anime were on youtube. Ever since then, I've loved anime, just because its a show for me to watch that is (for the most part) easily accessible.

As for manga, I'm not huge into it, but there are a few series that I follow.

Toyosatomimi no Miko

炎髪灼眼の討ち手
I saw the original Pokemon anime when I was...3 or 4. Though at that time I didn't really care too much. Didn't know that things existed outside of Pokemon. I had a My Neighbor Totoro alarm clock (it's broken now), but I never saw the movie until late 2012.
In 2008, when Toradora was airing, that's when I started really getting into anime. I was supposed to make a poster on taigas (ecosystem/habitat), and I needed to draw one, but I didn't know how, so I was on Google Images searching when I found Aisaka Taiga. I then started researching that instead, and then...Toradora. Few years later I was introduced to Shugo Chara, and I blazed through that entire series in like, a week. Then in late 2012 I started Shakugan no Shana, then Persona 4 The Animation, then Angel Beats!, etc so on and so forth.
So what, 9-10 years? Somewhere around that number.

I don't read much manga, but I started reading some of it when people began bringing theirs to school. At that time I thought they were called "backward books", because you read them backwards, then I discovered manga. I went to the library and got around 20 of them, read them, and then...I moved on to anime.
So about 3-4 years with that.

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
for manga it probably was around 2010 when i first start reading fairy tail - i didn't watch the anime but i read the manga since it looks more detailed to me

for anime it was somewhere around year 2000, i didn't know the reason why i would start watching inu-yasha - but i only know at that time that anime do have great stories in it.

Zazie

So 1991
About 15 years. Before that I still watched anime but didn't know what it was. (so at least 19 years of actual watching) Things have changed so much since then.

I was 9 at the time, so it was hard to get access to most stuff then not being able to drive around or afford things,* but I've managed to catch up on a lot of the stuff from when I was a kid since then, so my tastes line up quite a bit with the anime fans of that time period. It was so cool lookog in the back of the old Viz "floppy" comics and looking at the ads and order forms for all those cool sounding shows.

*boxed sets were $200 back then, a single tape was $25 minimum. You can get box sets for now for the price you got 1 tape for then.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
For me, it started in summer 2013. I had watched some stuff as a kid but I would not consider myself an anime fan back then, nor did I even know what anime was back then. But I started watching Attack On Titan, and I loved it. Times have changed and I really don't care for it anymore but that's beside the point.

Say what people will about Attack on Titan at least it got people interested in anime again.

For me I've technically been watching anime since I first watched Sailor Moon and Pokemon on TV.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) was the first series I watched not just on television but as a whole on my own. That was around 2005. From there I casually watched a few of the popular series, Bleach, Haruhi, Bebop, Slayers etc.

At around Fall 2010 I started following airing shows, have been ever since.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I started watching late May 2011. A mod friend on here urged me to watch Slayers, so I spent all of Memorial Day watching the first season. Watched the other 4 seasons by mid-June, and spent the rest of my summer with Fruits Basket, Death Note, and InuYasha.

So, not that long, but long enough that I know some things

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
I've started being a fan of anime in 2001 (though I did watched Pokemon in 1998, which I was unaware of the fact that it's anime), that's when I started collecting the DragonballZ VHS, starting with The Great Saiyaman saga. I started collecting the DVDs starting with Love Hina series in 2003. My first time getting the blu-rays was Infinite Stratos in 2012.

As for the manga, I first started collecting Love Hina manga version in 2003 (a bit behind in the individual volumes of release dates), then Ai Yori Aoshi in 2004. I finally started spreading out to many titles of manga in 2006 (same time spreading out to different titles for DVDs/BDs), which resulted in owning over 1,200 volumes of manga.

So, I've been fan of anime/manga since high school days.

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Since about March this year. X3 FMA03 was the first anime I "properly" watched... it's only been several weeks and Melissa already makes me feel nostalgic... c':