• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long have you gone without watching the show?

Your longest hiatus from the show?

• Total voters

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Face it, the show's being going on for 13 years. Unless you are a very dedicated fan, or had gotten into the show recently you've most likely quit the anime at some point in time for a while for some reason or another.

My question is "How long was your longest hiatus, if you had one?" And no, I don't consider it a hiatus if you skipped a single episode and jumped right back, nor is it no longer a hiatus if the opposite happens, in that you ignored the anime save for one single episode.

For me, I lost touch with the anime around early Johto, and had no way of watching it again for some time. Save for the 3rd - 7th movies and one lucky day where I watched Candid Camerupt (WHY did this episode have to be the one I watched? WHY couldn't it have been the two before it?), I was able to get back into the anime when the Maguzi block on Cartoon Network starting airing the Battle Frontier episodes in around 2006. So IIRC (the last episode I last saw in order was "Charizard's Burning Ambition"), my longest hiatus lasted 5 years, from 2001-2006.

EDIT: Aaannd looking at the poll, I forgot to include a "Never had a hiatus" option. Wow, I'm always forgetting things >_< Could someone with superior power edit that option in?

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I never really did stop watching entirely.

Like most people, I almost originally gave up on the show back at the mid-point of Johto. Both Charizard and Squirtle had left Ash's roster (which at the time, we didn't know if they would come back), the GS ball was dropped with no closure, and all those tedious Johto fillers were coming in at full force.

I decided to stick with Johto in hopes it'd get better, (to be fair, the tail-end of Johto was an improvement), and went from there.

So I can't say I ever did stop watching, and I have actually seen every episode of the show at least once. But Johto was truly the only time where I was *really* tempted to give up for good. I'm glad I stuck with it though.

Cobalt_Latios

I'll be honest here, 3-4 weeks is the longest I've gone without watching it. Granted, with the method in which I watch my episodes, I'll usually "catch up" anyways.

So, really, I haven't ever given up watching the show, unless something occurred, at which I'd simply record the episode and watch it later.

Yes, that's how I am.

C_L

thunderblade12

Oops. For some reason I thought the poll said "How Long Have You Been Watching?" I answered 6+ sence I've been watching from the beginning.

I've never really taken a hiatus. I was in an "I don't care" state of mind from Late Johto until the middle of the Battle Frontier and only watched episodes once in the while. Half of the time I slept in and skipped tons of episodes. The internet kept me up to date on what was going on though. The Battle Frontier caught my interst so I began watching every episode.

It was Ash's first battle against Brandon. "WTF Ash has a Sceptile?" ..."WTF Ash is evil???" Didn't think we'd be seeing Ash with a fully evolved starter again.

Bisasam

Bulbasaur
I started watching it (from the beginning) in the beginning of 2008 and watched every episode until now. So, no hiatus.

Steelia

forever.
Not sure.
Somewhere in Johto....... I can't remember what, though... And before then, I missed a LOT of the Kanto saga in itself.
So yeah, lost touch pretty early on. Didn't help that when I DID go to try and get back into the series, I had to watch that very small handful of awful Hoenn episodes; totally turned me off the series for good. As much as I love to browse through the DPPt episodes (they're some of the best; even the filler is entertaining), just watching those few episodes of Hoenn... Ergh... Only, ONLY good one I saw was something with Max and a Ralts... Man, that was pretty good. Slow, but the best Hoenn episode I saw.

So yeah. Quite a number of years. All I watch now are the movies.

Dax

Legend
I think I spent a little more than 3 years without watching the anime. I stopped in Johto, I remember vaguely the episode where Ash got Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil.

I didn't even know there was a 3rd generation so I started watching again in Hoenn. The first episode I saw was May's contest with Grace and I really loved it so I decided to stick watching it. When I tried to catch up I was shocked Ash had a Bayleef, Heracross and Phanpy in Johto.

I decided to give Johto a try but couldn't. I watched ~some~ battles of the league, not all.

I admit though, Combusken and Swellow were the main pokemon that got me into the anime but it wasn't until D/P that I was truly hooked. Dawn is my favorite character ever, Staraptor is my favorite pokemon of Ash's (ever) and I love Buneary, Mamoswine, Infernape and much more.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
In the middle of Johto =/ I just don't know what happened, then after MQ begin my interest came back until few episodes in mid-Hoenn (Mauville-Lavaridge) but i return to watching again... xD

the same thing happened in mid-sinnoh i think after the 4th gym and now i'm not in touch like i used to mostly because the huge gap between canalave & snowpoint & snowpoint & sunnyshore...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It seems like just about everyone originally gave up on the show at some point in Johto.

Here's a question:

Did anyone here actually watch all the Johto episodes in their original run? I'm quite curious if anyone made it through all of Johto when it was "brand new" and airing for the first time.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Let's see...I stopped mid-Johto (coz I couldn't find the episodes anywhere and Youtube can be a jerk) however I watched ALL of Master Quest (I thought I missed a lot, but apparently I didn't lol) Then I didn't watch Advanced for a while, tried watching it and loved it. I got mad at it around the BF (you can probably guess why...) so I skipped that entire saga (but I still read guides, episode pics etc) I told myself I'd resume for DP, and I did. I watched the whole BF after it aired again on CN. So I'm all caught up and I'm happy! ^^

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Here's a question:

Did anyone here actually watch all the Johto episodes in their original run? I'm quite curious if anyone made it through all of Johto when it was "brand new" and airing for the first time.

Had I had the chance, I most likely would have. I was 12, I didn't really give a damn about the quality of the show; my mindset when the show aired was "OH MY GOD Pokemon is on!!!" rather than "oh cool another episode, let's see if the plot advances."

It's a shame I couldn't watch Johto when it was circulated - I missed out on a lot of stuff that happened there and the major events. The first thing I thought about when I watched Wishmaker on DVD for the first time (and I watched the "Gotta Dance!" short before I watched the actual movie) was "Where the hell is Togepi?!?"

Man, I was thrown for a loop when I saw the cast for the movie - I actually believed that Misty was still traveling with them, but didn't have an actual role compared to the 4 on the box art (Brock with a role? What???), and so could get away with not being in the picture. Thank 4Kids dubbing for that Max/Ash scene and filling me in on what I was thinking. But I still hated myself for not keeping track of the anime after all that time and missing the major cast rearrangements and whatnot. Seeing the Miguzi Block motivated me to catch up with everything that I missed up to that point.

Last edited:

JJDalts

Tobi is a good boy!
I stopped watching, I think, sometime into Johto, because I simply 'grew out of pokemon'. Then middle-late 2008, I started watching the show again, at the beginning of Hoenn, and caught upto the show January last year, and I'm a big pokemon fan again XD

So I'm not sure how long my hiatus was, but It's probaby over 6 years.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Had I had the chance, I most likely would have. I was 12, I didn't really give a damn about the quality of the show; my mindset when the show aired was "OH MY GOD Pokemon is on!!!" rather than "oh cool another episode, let's see if the plot advances."

I was already older when Johto was airing, I think I was around 14 or 15 when we were in the Johto era. As a young teenager I knew what I was watching was worse than Kanto/Orange, and you can't believe the anger I felt that Charizard/Squirtle were abandoned. Since I didn't read up on spoilers at the time, I thought they were going to be done like Pidgeot. I honestly thought the writers were going to continue having Ash release his main team every saga. Thank god that mistake was "corrected."

Kind related to the paragraph, but kinda not: I was thrown for a loop when I saw the cast for the movie - I actually believed that Misty was still traveling with them, but didn't have an actual role compared to the 4 on the box art (Brock with a role? What???), and so could get away with not being in the picture. Thank 4Kids dubbing for that Max/Ash scene and filling me in on what I was thinking. But I still hated myself for not keeping track of the anime after all that time and missing the major cast rearrangements and whatnot. Seeing the Miguzi Block motivated me to catch up with everything that I missed up to that point.

Even though I saw all this in its original run, I often wondered if people missed out on Ash beating Gary in the league. That was something we always wanted to see back in Kanto, but the writers delayed it all the way till the Johto era, and I knew most people weren't watching at the time.

I remember KidsWB hyped up the Hoenn episodes by airing the first two episodes about 7 months before Johto even ended. KidsWB actually still promoted the hell out of the show even in the Hoenn era, and then came the big switch to Cartoon Network with Battle Frontier and the new PUSA voices.

You have to admit that by not following these eps in their original run, you kind of miss out on everything that was going on in the fandom at the time. Even though anyone can now catch up on these episodes and watch them now, it still won't have the same impact as if you were watching them when they were airing for the first time.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I watched the entire Kanto series, and missed the Johto/Hoenn section. Started watching during the Kanto BF series, and have been watching it on and off since.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
It's not unusual. I'm 19, and I still love pokemon. In fact, I like it more now, than I did back when I was a kid and eveyone at school had a pokemon game and/or cards. XD

That's the same with me (but I'm 16 :p) I'm just like: HA! I FINALLY NO MORE ABOUT IT THAN YOU GUYS DO!!!! but of course here's the stupid random jealous person: You still like that? Why? Isn't that like for little kids?
Me: Yes. And it is AWESOME!

Pokeaholic

i had been watching pokemon since it first came .. and i continued watching but i kinda loose interest of the show when misty left .. because misty is my favorite character .. but i continued watching because of the new pokemon and stuff it wasn't so bad .. then when they changed the voice actors i just couldn't watch it they ruined the show .. but i watch it sometime if something big is happening but mostly i see only the pictures of the episode .. i hope the voice actors and misty is back so i can be more excited to watch pokemon also when i feel like watching i see the old episodes because its my favorite .. but anyways i love pokemon no matter what ! :p