• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long were you into Pokemon, and what got you into it?

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
I have been into Pokemon since it started. I think seeing the show and commercials for Red and Blue got me into it.

I remember those! In the beginning of the Pokemon franchise in America they were always on the previews, trailers, etc. of videos I rented from Blockbuster when I was little. It was always the bus driver commercial for Pokemon RB and advertisements for some Ranma movie.

TehGr81

College graduate
I've been a fan of Pokemon ever since the anime first aired in the US. I remember when I would be extremely excited for a new episode as a kid. Good times... not that I don't feel that way anymore, because I still do. It's hard to believe how much has been accomplished compared to over ten years ago.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Why is the word "were" in the title?

Meowth! That's right!

Cat Pokemon Trainer
I think I got into the anime first but I remember nearly 12 years ago, when I was 6 and I got Pokemon Red and a Pokemon edition Gameboy Colour. Best xmas ever. :D Makes me feel old seeing people here say they were in 3rd grade when Diamond and Pearl came out haha.

FroTW

*** gladio et sale
i've been into pokemon for at least 10 years, i remember coming home after kindergarten and playing pokemon blue on the computer with my mom... pokemon actually taught me how to read

halloweenghost

Wrote this in 2008 I'll update after..

My story is a little long but I hope you read it. Let me start by saying I'm 28 years old now,.... I was 18 years old when pokemon first came to the US. yeah I'm an older fan...

Before Pokemon came to the states,.. I had a gaming magazine..still have it actually,.. I think it was EGM. Anyways in their news article stuff in the beggining pages was an article saying. "Pokemon is coming to the US!"

It basically started out as... Not heard of Pokemon? Well you will soon... Pokemon, the hit craze in Japan, is headed to the US! (or something very close to that.)

It talked about the game and anime a little bit then it was the end of the story report.

Then later it became worldwide news... pokemon caused seizures in Japan....

As it grew close pokemon mania was in it's early days... the anime was close to debuting in the US.. and I decided it was gonna be dumb and decided not to watch it..... I was at my Buddy James's house a week or say later.. and he asks,..."Hey man you watching pokemon?"

I was like..no,..why would I..it looks dumb. He was like..no man it's great,..it's almost on,..watch it..

So I said ok.... the first episode I ever saw was I beleive.. the ghost at maiden's peak.

After that.I WAS HOOKED! James then told me about the episodes i missed and what happened,... We then started to talk about the games and wanting to check them out, he had a clear green gameboy pocket,..so we went to toys r us, and went to look at the games. I thought it was interesting their where two versions of the game.. James bought red Version right there and then. on the ride back from toys r us,..he let me open it up and i looked through the booklet really quick then told me to put the game in and turn it on, when we got to a stop he glanced to watch the opening..it was neat,..the music was interesting,....oh that was a good memory.

We then went on to buy the little figurines, and when the card game came out a few months later..we got into that... Had so many good memories thanks to pokemon. and I'm glad James talked me into it.

Nowadays..almost 10 years later.. I'm still a big pokefanatic,.. James..kinda lost interest sometime a few years later after gold and silver came out.... I'd say around 2001 or so he lost it,.. but had a small revival when ruby and saphire came out..but it didn't last long. So now..I'm alone in my fandom..except for the other online here...

But yellow version was my first lol

*sniffs*

UPDATE:

Here I am.. 30 years old and still wild about pokemon. Eagerly awaiting Black and White! I still get the cards every once and awhile.. i still watch and record the anime every week. I love pokemon and will continue to do so.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I've been into pokemon since the beginning, so since about 98-99 I've been playing the games and watching the anime. I got my first game, Blue Version, on my 9th birthday and I've been playing the games ever since. I was into the anime up until the 3rd Gen, but then DP sparked my interest up again so now I'm back to being a faithful viewer.

Azure Flame

I got in at the begining, back when I was starting 5th grade back in 1998. One of my friends who I was in Cub Scouts with, during a meeting, turned the TV on to Pokemon. That was the first time I saw it. I remember the episode too, the one where Ash brought Haunter to battle Sabrina. After that, I begged my mom to get me Pokemon cards. Then when I went into 6th grade, my mom got me a Gameboy Color and Blue version. Since then, I've been hooked. I don't watch the Anime much anymore, just mainly play the games and watch the movies. I'm the only one my age that I know of in my town who still plays Pokemon.

Zalman

Master of Puppets
1999. I just started school and people were playing Red/Blue/Yellow during the breaks. I loved watching so I decided to buy my own Gameboy and play along. Man, those were the days.

No. 1 Machop Fan

I became a fan in 1999, first inspired by Bulbasaur and Squirtle, and then by Pikachu and (to a lesser extent) Caterpie.

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
I've been a fan since I was 2-3yrs old thanks to the Anime and TCG but I didn't get my first game until 2003 when I was 8.

侍Musashi侍

'The' Samurai
I've been into Pokemon since elementary school and beyond. From what I remember, the TCG is what really hooked me in at first. All the kids had binders full of 'em that they'd showcase at recess. It wasn't until middle school that I really found interest in the actual video game franchise. I bought an old Pokemon Blue version from a local CD game exchange store and have indulged myself in the games ever since.

The fact that I find much interest in imaginative monsters (if you will) can also be attributed to why Pokemon peeked my interest.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
I got into Pokemon back when I was a 3rd grader and now I'm almost a 9th grader. The game got me into it first, then I watched the anime and found myself in love with it too. Currently, I'm still addicting to both.

NamuSkull

Pampering Vaporeon..
RBY got me into it. Then the anime. Kanto and Johto sagas are the best. Hoenn is okay.
Sinnoh......well I don't like the new voice actors for Ash, Brock and Team Rocket.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I have been into Pokemon for quite a long time. My cousin hooked me and my brother with the anime when the anime first came out back in 1999, and I was like 12 years old. The interesting thing is I didn't play any Pokemon games until 4 years ago. I played one of my other cousin's FireRed and got hooked into the game ever since.

Josiah

is your favorite
My brother introduced me to it when we got two packs of cards. I remember that there was a Persian, Geodude, Graveler, and Kingler in them. So unlike most people those were the first Pokemon I had ever seen. After I found out about the video game I begged my parents for it and got Red version and a GameBoy Color for my birthday. I don't remember how old I was, I just remember that at the time I couldn't read. So I made up my own names for Pokemon, calling Magnemite 'Screwball'. I started watching the Anime after, up until Pokemon 2000 came out.

The Christmas GS came out I got Gold. At this point I could read, so it made the games more amazing to me because I could now actually tell what was going on. At that point I was official hooked.

Phantom champion Z

im sixteen years old now and i saw the episode where pikachu beat all the spearows so iwas about 3 years old i belive but i didnt realy pay attention to it. later on some kids were talking about the cards and i went and got some prety soon at blockbuster with my mom she ask do i want red or blue version not realizing what she was talking about (couldnt see the counter) said blue and when we got in the car she gave it too me i couldnt read it but reconigzed blastoise got super happy when i opened it i saw the cartridge and realised it was for gameboy and i had a playstation. later on i finaly got my game boy in time to play crystal version ahhh good times.

Brightclaw

Clan Deputy
That reminds me: I was at Lebanon, visiting my relatives, and they had this Pikachu backpack. I remember rubbing my face with it.

I can barely remember that, though. Maybe I was six or five?

VizardBlue

no, you are dead.
Since I was can't remember..And I accidnetly stole someone's Sapphire.