• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How long were you into Pokemon, and what got you into it?

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
It's been a while since I posted here :I
So, I knew Pokemon since 2001 as some anime, but wasn't into it until around mid-late 2006, where I got my Sapphire Version, where I played nearly non-stop everyday.

... I guess around about the mid-early summer 2010 would mark my loss of interest in Pokemon not because of the 5th Gen, because I got hooked up on another "franchise".

It's Vocaloid if you want to know :B

Last edited:

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
My first game was Red. I don't remember exactly how old i was, but I remember getting into it when I played my childhood friend's Blue version back in about. I bought a gameboy color just to play it, I liked it so much, and I've been hooked ever since. =)

I never really got into the anime much, though. Oddly, I watch other anime, just not Pokemon... I'm just into the main handheld games.

halloweenghost

The first time I remember seeing Pokemon was during a news broadcast that aired a short clip reporting about the Porygon seizure episode. That was in 1997.

In fall 1998 I remember watching the first episode of the anime when it aired in the US (I swear it was the episode where they were on the St. Anne). I thought they had canceled the series since they stopped airing new episodes. Then it came back in full force in August 1999. That's around the time I started playing the video games and playing the TCG.

I was absolutely obsessed with Pokemon until the Whirl Islands saga of the anime. I think that was sometime in 2002. Although I stopped watching the show and playing the TCG, I still play the main series of games (Ruby/Sapphire being my favorites).

It's odd how Pokemon has lasted this long and still retained its popularity.
you are correct,the first episode ever shown in the US was battle aboard the St.Anne. it was meant as a preview since the first episode was not so action packed. They even mentioned like at the end.. tune in tomarrow to see how ash's adventures started!

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
Well, I started watching the show on T.V about 10 years ago (when I was 4) and thought it was pretty good. Then When I went down the shops I started asking my parents to buy me the Pokemon plushies and books figures etc... then for Christmas when I was 7 I got a Gameboy Advance with Pokemon Yellow and Leafgreen then I just got hooked on everything Pokemon right up to and including today!

YoshiPikachu

Kabokas rule!
The first episode I saw was the where Ash and Misty met Brock at the gym. I was trying to find something to watch on TV and my Grandma flipped to 9, and said how about this show Pokémon and I was like, 'What's Pokémon?" I was a little kid back then and I have liked Pokémon ever since.

Last edited:

cocoa_adele

Yeah I remember seeing the first episode when I was in kindergarten, and I've had this "on off" love affair with it
I'm a teenager now and I have school and friends to concentrate but I fall back on playing Pokemon and watching the anime when I need time out to relax :)

vbrasil

Just... a trainer.
I don't remember the first episode I saw, I think I was 4...
But I liked it, I didn't know about the games, but someday my mom bought me a Gameboy Adv with a crappy cheap game, and inside that game there was pokemon Crystal.
Believe it or not, but somehow, without ANY knowledge in English I managed to beat 7 gyms on that game. I was like 9 at that time.
I also used to watch it on TV until the Hoehn series, because in my country the TV shows are kinda late, and sometimes they suddenly just stop the story and start airing from an old episode, so they can dub the latest ones.
That's why I remember seeing ash was going to Hoehn, and at the moment he got there, they started the series ALL over, from episode 1. I was like "Ah, f*** it" and never watched since then.

oxybe

Pokemon Red waaay back when. i still vividly remember playing it on my old green-screen gamebrick, er, gameboy and the Super Gameboy adapter for the SNES. i mean, Pokemon Red... in color! at the time this was like... OMG!

my mom thought me crazy when i asked for Blue after beating Red, just so i could get 100% completion.

I still have the original Red, Blue, Gold & Silver cartridges. and the Super Gameboy to play them :D

Mewtwo's Amber

Don't cry Mewtwo
I forget if I was in this thread before in my old account, but I got into Pokemon in the seventh grade, 2000-2001. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever created although I had not actually seen it. My best friend and I would make fun of it during lunch as we would see people with their binders of pokemon cards.

The one day free of homework I was surfing channels and noticed it was on so I decided to find out just how stupid it was. I remember the episode was when Ash enlisted Haunter's help to defeat Sabrina and I got hooked.

I got my first game, yellow when my best friend started showing me hers thus I begged my mom for one until she agreed.

halloweenghost

I forget if I was in this thread before in my old account, but I got into Pokemon in the seventh grade, 2000-2001. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever created although I had not actually seen it. My best friend and I would make fun of it during lunch as we would see people with their binders of pokemon cards.

The one day free of homework I was surfing channels and noticed it was on so I decided to find out just how stupid it was. I remember the episode was when Ash enlisted Haunter's help to defeat Sabrina and I got hooked.

I got my first game, yellow when my best friend started showing me hers thus I begged my mom for one until she agreed.

i thoguht your best friend thought it was dumb too? Got any idea how she got into it? lol

Hmmm. It had to be around 1997. I got... Blue, I think. And then I got hooked on the cards. Then when Gold/Silver came out, I bought (and by bought, I mean got for my birthday) both of them. And then I bought Crystal with my own money. Been hooked since. However, Gold is, and always will be, my favorite.

crimsonsapphire92

Got started with it a while ago. I distinctly remember not knowing what people were talking about when they were talking about Pokemon and then watching the first episode in first grade and going into class the next day trying to boast about how I knew the names of three Pokemon (I even remember what they were: Metapod, Pikachu, and Caterpie ;p).
I got all the first generation games. They're gone now but I had them.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
well i got into the games first and the game play was just soo fun!
5 years for me and loved every year!

AmericanPi

Write on
I first got into pokemon in 2nd grade. I had a friend who was obsessed with Pokemon, and she got me into pokemon.
Then I think I broke up with that friend, so I didn't like pokemon for about 5 years, until the very late time of 7th grade. Then, my young sister started loving pokemon because she loved watching these two videotapes that showed old Kanto episodes. So my younger sister, who is 6 years old, got me into pokemon a second time. Odd, really.

~Silver Aura~

Back...ish
I've been into pokemon since I was around 12 or 13. I remember the anime coming on one saturday morning (It was the third episode) and since then I was hooked. I got pokemon blue that christmas. (I think could've been the next one actully.) and I was over the moon. Unlike most fans here I STILL watch the anime and am eagerly looking forward to the Isshu saga. :)

Dr. Empoleon

Steel Type Champion
I was at summer camp one day and someone was playing sapphire. I too got it and i have been into it for 5 years.

ForteAnly

I got into Pokemon when the craze began with the release of Pokemon Red and Blue. I had a Gameboy Pocket around that time and bought Red Version in my local Toys R Us. From then on I was hooked. The anime series and TCG only propelled my love for the series.

mistycerulean

I got into Pokemon when the Johto Journeys saga was airing. The first time I watched Pokemon, they were having a marathon of the first season and thus, my first episode was Abra and the Psychic Showdown. I remember watching all the first season, and then I stopped liking it as much.... when I was 7 I turned the TV on and the Advanced Challenge theme was playing. I watched the episode (I believe it was A Togepi Mirage!) and have been obsessed up until now! And I will always love Pokemon! My first game was Pearl, but I got Emerald soon after and my favorites are the R/S/E games. And that's all.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Pretty much since the beginning. Didn't get my first game until GSC though. I'm still into it today, but I never have time to play at all. Looking forward to 5th gen a lot.

alicetama

Pokabu <3
Hmm... let's see. My 'first' introduction to Pokemon was during the Hayao Miyazaki month that Toonami(R.I.P) was hosting. I turned on the television, was flipping through the channels, until I hit CN and they were showing the 6th movie. Now I knew of Pokemon since I was around 3, but thought it looked stupid, and never gave it a chance. But, I thought that the movie looked interesting and gave it a try. Absolutely loved it. (and that ending song... it was genius.)

A couple years later, I saw the Pokemon marathon on. Watched a couple episodes, and loved it. And here I am. :D