• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many generations of Pokémon have you played?

Which generations have you played?

• Gen 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow)

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal)

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • Gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FR/LG)

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HG/SS)

Votes: 44 91.7%
  • Gen 5 (Black/White and B2/W2)

Votes: 44 91.7%
  • Gen 6 (X/Y and OR/AS)

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Gen 7 (Sun/Moon, US/UM and Let's Go)

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • Gen 8 (Sword/Shield)

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I started with Hoenn, and haven't started gen 8 just yet, so it would be 5 generations.

TwilightBlade

I've been a Pokemon game fan since Generation 1 and have played all the way up to the newest games. I've only played through parts of Shield and Sword because the games don't really do it for me but I have lots of favourite Pokemon from Generation 8.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Seeing as it seems you're excluding side games, in terms of main series games, I started in 5th gen and worked my way up to now.

Had you included sides like Colluseum and XD, it'd fall into me starting techinically in 3rd gen and thus 5 gens played for me. But that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm going to say 4 gens I've played.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Had you included sides like Colluseum and XD, it'd fall into me starting techinically in 3rd gen and thus 5 gens played for me. But that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm going to say 4 gens I've played.

I sort of think of XD as being Gen 3.5, since it includes some Gen 4 Pokémon like Bonsly and Munchlax.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The way I see I've played them all. I mean, I consider playing Fire Red and Soul Silver as playing Gen 1 and 2

But even if that's considered cheating, I did play Yellow on 3DS recently and I had tried one of the Gen2 games some time ago (though it was just a bit and not the full experience)

If you are talking "when you started", I'd say gen 4 was on when I started playing the games. Though I did come back to the previous ones at some point or other

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve played every generation of Pokémon! A few of my Fakemon actually came close to Pokémon introduced later on. The most exact I ever came to creating an actual Pokémon was making an Eeveelution back in Gen III a year before DP were even announced called Leafeon that had a Leaf on its tail and had the ability Chlorophyll. It even evolved using the Leaf Stone. The main difference between my Leafeon and the one that we got was mine had a darker green body and the Leaf tail was shaped like a generic leaf similar to the Animal Crossing symbol but without the Circle cutout. It also didn’t have the leaf on top of its head. The shade of green I chose was the same as Sceptile’s leaf blades. Then there was Mimby which was Mr Mime’s Baby form. It did have a hair tuft but it didn’t have the pompom at the end and more like an actual baby’s hair as it is growing. It also had fingers and a bit more round than Mime Jr and didn’t have the nose. I created Mimby during Gen II and the name was a combination of Mime and Baby.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I’ve played every generation of Pokémon! A few of my Fakemon actually came close to Pokémon introduced later on. The most exact I ever came to creating an actual Pokémon was making an Eeveelution back in Gen III a year before DP were even announced called Leafeon that had a Leaf on its tail and had the ability Chlorophyll. It even evolved using the Leaf Stone. The main difference between my Leafeon and the one that we got was mine had a darker green body and the Leaf tail was shaped like a generic leaf similar to the Animal Crossing symbol but without the Circle cutout. It also didn’t have the leaf on top of its head. The shade of green I chose was the same as Sceptile’s leaf blades.

So Nintendo made your Fakemon into an actual Pokémon? :eek:

Then there was Mimby which was Mr Mime’s Baby form. It did have a hair tuft but it didn’t have the pompom at the end and more like an actual baby’s hair as it is growing. It also had fingers and a bit more round than Mime Jr and didn’t have the nose. I created Mimby during Gen II and the name was a combination of Mime and Baby.

Was this before Mime Jr. was revealed in the Hoenn anime?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yes. I created Mimby right after Crystal came out in the US.

Fun fact: Mr. Mime actually was going to get a baby pre-evo in Gen 2, as seen from the Gold/Silver beta release a couple of years ago. But I think GF thought they had too many baby Pokémon, so they either scrapped them (as with Growlithe and Meowth's baby forms) or put them in another generation (as with Mime Jr.)

Pokémon being re-used in other generations isn't just limited to those, however; Shellos and Gastrodon were originally meant to be in Gen 3 rather than Gen 4, and a very early promotional poster for Gen 2 showed a Pokémon that looked a lot like Tirtouga, who would later come out in Gen 5.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Fun fact: Mr. Mime actually was going to get a baby pre-evo in Gen 2, as seen from the Gold/Silver beta release a couple of years ago. But I think GF thought they had too many baby Pokémon, so they either scrapped them (as with Growlithe and Meowth's baby forms) or put them in another generation (as with Mime Jr.)

Pokémon being re-used in other generations isn't just limited to those, however; Shellos and Gastrodon were originally meant to be in Gen 3 rather than Gen 4, and a very early promotional poster for Gen 2 showed a Pokémon that looked a lot like Tirtouga, who would later come out in Gen 5.
Well yeah but I created Mimby without even knowing about the GS Beta version.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Every generation. Though I'm one and done with them and never restart my games.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Every generation. Though I'm one and done with them and never restart my games.

I don't restart my games either. I feel like restarting would erase all the hard work and progress I've made with my team.

Redbird

Gens 1-6. Dropped BW2, XY and ORAS midway, as I was burn out on Pokémon games by that point. I recently got back to the series, though. Recently beat BW2 at last, and I'm currently going through XY and ORAS. Once I finish them I'll move on to Gen 7. I don't think I'll ever play Sw/Sh, not after BS like Dexit.