• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many gyms are there in any given region?

D

Dr. Sun

In the Hoenn League, it's announced that there are over 600 trainers taking part in the compeition. That would equal almost five thousand badges being given out by various gym leaders (600 trainers X eight badges each = 4,800 badges!) Clearly, if the eight gym leaders we see in the anime and video games were the only ones in their given regions, then they either must not be very good (which simply isn't true-you have to be a good trainer to become a gym leader) or there must be multiple gyms that can give out official league badges to trainers who challenge them.

So, how many gyms are there in a given region? Out of a rough estimate, I'd say about forty or fifty at any given time, with new ones being set up and closed down at various points (one of the Chronicles mentions how four gyms in Kanto have been shut down for various infractions), which gives trainers lots of options when they set off on their Pokemon journeys. Some gyms might be stronger than others, with the badges of the very best gyms being marks of honor for the trainers that acquire them, while others could be in a lower class, (Brock only had Onix and Geodude at the Pewter Gym-what about any other pokemon?) although they're all equal in value when it comes to acquiring eight badges to enter a League competition.

What proof do we need that there are more than the eight gyms we see in the anime and video games? In "Battle for the Badge", Gary showed off the ten badges he had acquired, most of which were, IIRC, unknown to the viewers, implying that there would be as many as 18 gyms, at least, in Kanto. Also, [SPOIL]Morrison/Masamune shows off an hourglass badge when Team Toi Boi first meets him, which IIRC doesn't resemble any of the badges that Ash acquired. Hence Morrison/Masamune's pokemon journey must have taken him along a very different road from Ash's, along with several cities and gyms we never got the chance to see.[/SPOIL]

Thoughts?

Locke Yggdrasill

Eustis on reddit
Back in the day when I used to watch the anime, there were countless cities. Probably atleast 60% of those cities contained gyms, although there's no way to tell how much 60% is, due to the fact that there is a missing variable.

D

Dr. Sun

HoennMaster said:
Team Toi Boi?

That's what Meowth calls Ash and his companions. It's mostly used in the Japanese version, but he also said it in the episode Wake Up Snorlax!, when he comments on how Team Rocket and "Team Toi Boi" are working together for the very first time in trying to wake up the Snorlax that's blocking the river.

L

Lord of Ninetales

I remember in the Indigo Season that when Gary showed Ash his badges, most were different. Also, he never won the Earth Badge.

AtoMan

Restoring the Kanto
Also in "Bad to the bone" ninja guy and another trainer had some other badges too.

Last edited:

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Dr. Sun said:
That's what Meowth calls Ash and his companions. It's mostly used in the Japanese version, but he also said it in the episode Wake Up Snorlax!, when he comments on how Team Rocket and "Team Toi Boi" are working together for the very first time in trying to wake up the Snorlax that's blocking the river.
No, Meowth called Ash and co. "Team Twerp" in the Kanto Snorlax episode.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
I'd say about 30-40 gyms in each region.

We knew of others from various trainers that have shown badges that look nothing like the ones Ash has.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Dr. Sun said:

No, in the Japanese version, they refer to Satoshi as "Jari-boy". They have names for the other characters, too. Haruka/Kasumi is "Jari-girl", and I think they referred to Masato as "Ko-jari-boy" ("ko" means "child") at one time. Collectively, they always refer to them as "Jari-boy-tachi". And no, I have no friggin clue what "jari" means. A translation I got is "pebbles, gravel, etc.", but I don't get how it'd work in that context (maybe Japan associated rocks with insults. I noticed in the .hack games, Lios was constantly referred to as "ishi-atama", or "stone head". The text in the English translation localized it as "pighead").

G

Geki

I always thought there should be eight places where there are gyms, but apparently, there isn't. Gary had ten badges back in Kanto, and only one or two of them were ones that Ash obtained. And Morrison just ran off and said, ''I'd better find me a gym battle!!!'', like Sootopolis or any gyms were around, or even remotely close.