• Hi all
    Just a notice, we recently discovered that someone got into a moderator account and started hard deleting a load of key and legacy threads...around 150 threads have been lost dating back to 2007 and some weeks ago so we can't roll the forums back.
    Luckily no personal data could be accessed by this moderator, and we've altered the permissions so hard deleting isn't possible in the future
    Sorry for any inconvenience with this and sorry for any lost posts.
  • Hi all. We had a couple of reports of people's signatures getting edited etc. in a bad way. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and nobody has compromised any of our databases.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar passwords to elsewhere which has been accessed, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords, and two-factor authentication if you are able. Make sure you're as secure as possible
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many more can they make

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
I'm not sure when the number of Pokemon simply becomes prohibitive, but I think it'd have to be a very high number, to the point that something more tangible (sales or technological limitations, for instance) come into play here. As BCVM22 said, things will keep going 'til they can't go no more.

Even then, I think they could still pump Pokemon by simply removing some of them. There are plenty of marginal Pokemon that might not even be missed if they got the slash, and if there're enough to fuel another generation, that just means another solid title boosting sales for whatever system's out at the moment.

It's essentially a given that Nintendo/Gamefreak will keep pressing Pokemon until for some reason it's simply no longer viable. The interesting thing, I think, is what will happen with Pokemon when that happens.

shamwowsavedme

chek dis ancient ***
After a fair amount of research, I've found that the contract between Gamefreak and Nintendo lasts up into Gen7...holy ****

donkeyB

I truly admired the creation of the author. They're so creative indeed. All the pokemons are cute, lovable, and lively.
And I believe they can make more, because they will keep going their job, and in the anime Lilo and Stitch, there are 626 characters that kind at that.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
"Honey, they're making another generation."
"What is this, the fifty third?"
"Fifty fourth, actually. Look; Blastoise has a sixth evolution now! Serebii says it's going to be Water/Light/Dark/Dragon/Sea Serpent/Godly type!"
"Anything about their names?"
"Nintendo's inventing new minerals so they can call the games them as we speak."

This, basically.

Once Digimon dies due to the pure insanity of the evolutionary lines or whatever they're called, Pokémon will be there to do the same.

Also, I found the quote hilarious.

Until there are 1000 pokemon to be seen. *sigh* i love the seeing part, better than catching ey?

But really, they will keep going until people get bored. which will be a loooong time. a very, very, very long time.

Sierra Silver

~Argentum Mons~

All joking aside, though, it will really just depend on how many new ideas they can come up with. As long as the franchise is making money and the company can find new people with new ideas for new Pokemon, there's no real reason to stop. Look at the sheer amount of ideas for Pokemon on this site alone; it's staggering. Granted, some of them are downright silly, but even we - the players - have been able to come up with some good general ideas.

Wartortle90

Salamence ISNT Uber
if its like any other anime, the limits are non-existant, and the possibilities endless. i mean they can keep making as many as they want, until every pokemon has a prevo and evo, or 2 with different meathods (i.e. slowbro/slowking) and they can use every animal/species/inatimate object and call it a pokemon. they real question is when should they just stop?
though i suppose if they got hard up for ideas, hire some kids, make beasts up, use mythology, or make cross breeds..so my answer is infinite, although i assume black and white will put us to an even 600. and 1,000 is a good place to stop

Fataal

Lone Archetype
Saying, "It'll never stop because GF will never stop making money" is well... stupid. Everyone assumes GF has an infinite tank of ideas but they don't. We're given remakes so the they can have years to develope and concieve. Eventually they'll stop and just make an infinite amount of games using pokemon we've already seen. No ones going to be able to pull off 1500 pokemon.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Yes, I am convinced that they will stop at exactly 1337 Pokémon.

yeminied

Yes, I am convinced that they will stop at exactly 1337 Pokémon.

I will jaw drop if the final number of Pokémon is that number, give or take twenty or so.

I reckon whoever creates the Pokémon has hundreds of ideas stashed away in a filing cabinet just waiting to be improved. In an interview some guy who does the drawings said it takes about six months to finish a Pokémon, twelve for the starters. So I think Pokémon will only stop when it stops making a large enough profit. They can always hire someone to create the Pokémon, they can't however hire someone to buy the games.

I'm sure that Pokémon games themselves will keep going for a while after they have finished with making them. At the current number, not counting the extra seven, I am sure they can create plenty of brilliant video games.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
I truly admired the creation of the author. They're so creative indeed. All the pokemons are cute, lovable, and lively.
And I believe they can make more, because they will keep going their job, and in the anime Lilo and Stitch, there are 626 characters that kind at that.
According to Wikipedia, Digimon has 880 characters.

loopz

Loopz
To be honest I think they will keep going and creating more Pokemon, but I would like to see them stop with the 5th gen and instead of making more Pokemon just make deeper and better story lines, but that's just in my opinion.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
I reckon whoever creates the Pokémon has hundreds of ideas stashed away in a filing cabinet just waiting to be improved. In an interview some guy who does the drawings said it takes about six months to finish a Pokémon, twelve for the starters.

Sugimori, the artist, has concept drawings, some of which he ends up not using for that generation or splitting into multiple pokemon. He sometimes "finishes" and uses these in later generations.

Cryptic Blaze

Blinded by the light
I say it will go beyond at least 800. They will keep going as long as there are fans buying it and they have ideas for pokemon. Games like Final Fantasy and shows like Digimon are still going strong, why not pokemon?
I think this is what is going to happen:

An old man and his grandchild are walking through a store when the kid sees a game.
Kid: Grandpa! Its Pokemon ZOMG! version. Can I have it?
Grandpa: Ahh Pokemon. I remember when they just came out with Red and Blue sixty years ago. Good times...
Kid: It has been out that long?!?
Grandpa: Yes.
Kid: Wow! *sees another game* Can we get Pokemon L33T! version for my brother?
Grandpa: All right.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I feel there's gonna be between 550-600 pokemon total, then I really don't know what. I don't know if they'll continue or just stop.