• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many of you are already dead set in getting the next Gen 8 games.

All those in favor of dead-set getting Gen 8 games! Say Aye! All those who oppose! Nay!

• Aye

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
To each and their own I guess but I need to correct you on what I mean by split opinions, it's partly my fault for mis-wording it. The word I meant to use what diverse, not divisive. The sonic fanbase is divisive, split into mainly two types of Sonic fans. The Pokemon fanbase on the other hand is diverse in opinions, not split, not polarized, diverse in a range of opinions that say what their favorite or worst generation is thanks to the varying degrees of quality. I'm not saying the Pokemon fanbase is split, I'm saying that their is great range of different compelling personal opinions, such as yourself, from a wide variety of the fans that no one can truly come to a common agreement on how the quality has been raised or declined, or what is the best generation or the worst generation. This is proof that GameFreak has maintained consistent quality and care throughout the series. Perhaps it's declined a little but it's been quite consistent that GameFreak won it's fan loyalty. That is why almost everyone is excited for what GameFreak has in store of Gen 8 even though they haven't revealed much because it could be anything. Gen 4 we had the snowy mountains of Sinnoh. Gen 5 was the industrious cities of Unova. Gen 6 was the beautiful Kalos region that looked like it was out of a fairy tale. Gen 7 is a tropical paradise of the Alola region. People are excited what GameFreak has planned for the future, even when their not telling us because it's always a nice surprise.

Actually Sonic's fan base is diverse too, there's different groups of fans that like different elements of the gameplay such as speed, platforming, and exploration to varying degrees. The reason why SEGA's never really pleased the Sonic fanbase is because they've never really managed to balance these kinds of gameplay elements in a way that satisfies the entire fanbase. Most of them either favor either one element over the others or end up being a jack of all trades, master of none. The difference between Sonic and Pokemon's divisiveness is that Sonic's divisiveness is going to be difficult if not impossible to reconcile, balancing those three elements is a monumental undertaking that requires careful level design so that they don't interfere with each other and also provide enough content to be worth buying.

Pokemon's problem isn't that it's fanbase is unpleasable, rather, Game Freak simply refuses to acknowledge certain groups of fans and preferences. They only really focus on certain groups of fans, namely casuals and competitive players, and basically ignore everyone else. For the most part, additional content and gameplay styles don't really interfere with the current gameplay, they complement it in fact, so there's no real conflict in including it. Game Freak just decides not to do this and instead provides a bare minimum experience leaving much to be desired.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
A new Gen will of course come with new Pokemon (and maybe another alternative to gym battles), so I definitely want the new games.
Not to mention that surely trainer kawaii-ification... er, I mean customization will be returning. :D

nel3

Crimson Dragon
For some reason the "no way in hell I'll get gen8" option wasn't included in the poll. Usum was a wait and see situation for me and it didnt improve the gen 7 game sufficiently to merit jumping on thengen8 band wagon. There are no sufficient switch games that merit buying it. My time ended a month into sun. Long live gen6, gen 7 was a big MEH and gen8 is a n ty for me.

Orphalesion

Judging from past Pokemon titles and the fact that the series in general doesn't change too much (LGPR aside) I can't see any reason why I wouldn't get Gen 8.

I doubt that will change but it's possible, if they do something stupid like implementing real time battling I wouldn't buy it.

I think they already confirmed that Pokemon 2019 will have "many" new Pokemon (as in a new generation) and a new Region, which is pretty much what I want form a new Pokemon game.

DSDark

Breeder
I'm pretty safely going to say I'm going to get PKM19. However if these games are dumbed down and ruined like LG then hard pass on pokemon.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
There would have to be something outrageously bad for me to not buy them. Heck, I'm even getting Let's Go despite "Baddy Bad".

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’ll buy the next games! I have every main series Pokémon game in one form or another except Emerald (I got a fake) and Sapphire.

Red and Blue

If it has a nice region and the majority of new Pokemon have neat designs then yeah I will get a copy. Assuming I have a switch by next year

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I’ll probably get it if I get a Switch for Christmas.

Nockturne

I guess it is pretty silly but yeah I can't see a scenario where I won't want to buy the game. Even if it does end up being Let's GO but gen 8 (not that I think that is at all likely) I'm still gonna wanna try it out.

DSDark

Breeder
I hope PK19 has more appealing features than LGPE. Because lately I've been questioning the direction of the series.

I have to agree with this, pk19 needs to have options that appeal to both old and new players. Too many of the features now just cater to younger newer players. However the games can feature options that those that don't want to do them don't have too.

Ashrynn

I was super on the fence about Let's Go and still bought it the day it was out. Been hyped for Gen 8 so no doubt I'll have it on release.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Meh, iffy. Gen 7 had some wonderful things about it, but I preferred previous Gens a lot more. I’ve found myself playing New Leaf more than S/M or USUM these days.

I’m not waiting on baited breath at the moment. A lot of us are getting up there, and 20 years of playing Pokémon has become just a tad repetitive. Just a tad.

Carina

Plasbad!!
I can give games like Let's Go a pass, but I plan to follow the main game series for as long as it lasts.

D*N

Musical Star
Well a Nintendo Switch is expensive as hell, so let me first get that money. I would probably still wait a little for information to come out. I loved Sun and Moon but if they go the wrong direction (imo) then I could definitely skip these games just like I skipped X&Y.

Poke Trainer J

Actually Sonic's fan base is diverse too, there's different groups of fans that like different elements of the gameplay such as speed, platforming, and exploration to varying degrees. The reason why SEGA's never really pleased the Sonic fanbase is because they've never really managed to balance these kinds of gameplay elements in a way that satisfies the entire fanbase. Most of them either favor either one element over the others or end up being a jack of all trades, master of none. The difference between Sonic and Pokemon's divisiveness is that Sonic's divisiveness is going to be difficult if not impossible to reconcile, balancing those three elements is a monumental undertaking that requires careful level design so that they don't interfere with each other and also provide enough content to be worth buying.

Pokemon's problem isn't that it's fanbase is unpleasable, rather, Game Freak simply refuses to acknowledge certain groups of fans and preferences. They only really focus on certain groups of fans, namely casuals and competitive players, and basically ignore everyone else. For the most part, additional content and gameplay styles don't really interfere with the current gameplay, they complement it in fact, so there's no real conflict in including it. Game Freak just decides not to do this and instead provides a bare minimum experience leaving much to be desired.
That could explain why they shifted their focus toward casuals in Let's Go, Pikachu! / Eevee! with competitive players in mind for the upcoming Gen 8 games instead of integrating Pokémon Go with the main series titles. VGC attendance is at an all-time low due to the amount of cheating involved, power creep issues deriving from Mega Evolutions / Ultra Beasts, not to mention a stale meta due to everyone using the exact same teams and movesets.

Online Simulators have already shifted focus away from regular Wi-Fi Battles which are hardly uploaded on YouTube anymore due to the Nintendo Creators Program (NCP) which prevented content creators from being able to upload and monetize Nintendo game content. Even though it was recently revoked, I don't think it will have as much of an impact on Pokémon compared to other Nintendo IP's. I get the feeling that Gen 8 is a PR disaster waiting to happen.