• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many of you are already dead set in getting the next Gen 8 games.

All those in favor of dead-set getting Gen 8 games! Say Aye! All those who oppose! Nay!

• Aye

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
That works both ways though. Maybe things will substantially change, maybe they won't. Both are feasible. Whether or not they're possible isn't the point, it's about what's confirmed. The entire issue with this topic is that people are making decisions when we have no confirmed information whatsoever. And yes, that is completely foolish. Even if there's a 99% chance things will stay the same, as long as the 1% hasn't been ruled out, it still needs to be taken into account. You could still be buying a game that it turns out you don't actually enjoy. So you should reserve that decision until there's enough confirmed information for you to know that you'll enjoy it.

Yeah no, sorry. There’s enough information by virtue of the seven previous generations of games to know that I will buy this game, and determine whether I enjoy it through actually playing it. Plenty of people feel exactly the same. Operating the exact same way you do isn’t the criteria for being a smart consumer. Being a gamer at all carries the inherent risk that you buy something that turns out to be a dud, because the contextual information surrounding it - such as it being part of your favorite series - led you to believe you would enjoy it. And don’t come at me with stuff about demos or watching let’s play videos or reviews; there have been countless situations wherein those fail to adequately communicate how it feels to play the game in question. The only way to actually get a feel for a game, in most cases, is to buy it, play it, and decide for yourself. There is more than enough for me to decide that, because I didn’t get my undies in a twist over LGPE (or SM or ORAS or XY), I will do so. The only way to change that is if it is so radically different and strange that it fails to qualify as a Pokémon game at all, as we know them - but I operate in the realm of realism and reality, and I think you and I both know that such drastic changes just aren’t going to happen over the course of one game. So my stance is, and definitely will remain, unchanged. Thus, “dead set.”

Do you need any further explanation of how this works, or are you just going to call the rest of us stupid again for not behaving the same way you do as consumers?

Orphalesion

That's a contradiction. "Dead set yes" means that you're committed regardless of what happens, so if you're open to the possibility of further information changing your mind, it's not a "dead set yes". That we could all change our minds when concrete details get confirmed is exactly the reason a "dead set yes" is foolish at this point, it is far too soon to be making that kind of conclusion.

And here is where you take this way to seriously, and get lost in schematics. Nobody here swore a blood oath, nobody made a legally binding contract. It's just something people say.
Again, as a 5 year old I said with complete conviction that "I'm gonna be a pastry chef when I grow up". I was dead set. I changed my mind.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I will get these games if they're more in line with the traditional ones. Additionally I hope the new region and Pokemon are appealing enough to get my hyped.

Their are only a few features I'd like to see brought over from Let's Go like following Pokemon. But other than that I do want wild battles to return.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah no, sorry. There’s enough information by virtue of the seven previous generations of games to know that I will buy this game, and determine whether I enjoy it through actually playing it.

Just because something's happened for 7 generations doesn't mean it will continue happening for an 8th, that is equally fallacious. We've already seen several longstanding mechanics and conventions get scrapped, third versions, HMs, wild Pokemon battles. We could easily see more. In fact, I think it's likely we will see more. You cannot count on this game being exactly like all of the other games that game before it.

Operating the exact same way you do isn’t the criteria for being a smart consumer. Being a gamer at all carries the inherent risk that you buy something that turns out to be a dud, because the contextual information surrounding it - such as it being part of your favorite series - led you to believe you would enjoy it.

Of course there's always a risk. But you can minimize that risk and steer towards games you actually enjoy by making informed decisions based on concrete, confirmed information instead of just blind brand loyalty.

And don’t come at me with stuff about demos or watching let’s play videos or reviews; there have been countless situations wherein those fail to adequately communicate how it feels to play the game in question. The only way to actually get a feel for a game, in most cases, is to buy it, play it, and decide for yourself.

Such as? I've never met a game I needed to buy to fully decide whether a game is worth investing in, save for some of the ones that don't have demos.

There is more than enough for me to decide that, because I didn’t get my undies in a twist over LGPE (or SM or ORAS or XY), I will do so. The only way to change that is if it is so radically different and strange that it fails to qualify as a Pokémon game at all, as we know them - but I operate in the realm of realism and reality, and I think you and I both know that such drastic changes just aren’t going to happen over the course of one game. So my stance is, and definitely will remain, unchanged. Thus, “dead set.”

Which begs the question, what kind of radical change would that be? I'm genuinely curious, seeing as the gameplay has already changed pretty drastically.

And here is where you take this way to seriously, and get lost in schematics. Nobody here swore a blood oath, nobody made a legally binding contract. It's just something people say.
Again, as a 5 year old I said with complete conviction that "I'm gonna be a pastry chef when I grow up". I was dead set. I changed my mind.

People can say it but it doesn't make them right. Sure, there's no real consequences for going back on your word on something as trivial as a game purchase, but what it does mean is that you were never really dead set in the first place.

Gundam78

I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!
I guess I’ll be grabbing the gen 8

My problem with Pokemon nowadays.... after Gen 5 they made Pokemon too cute!

In my opinion... It’s like when they went from the original Teen Titans to the Teen Titans Go so....

Need some more tough looking less cute Pokemon designs and names

Nodame

Misty <3
I guess I’ll be grabbing the gen 8

My problem with Pokemon nowadays.... after Gen 5 they made Pokemon too cute!

In my opinion... It’s like when they went from the original Teen Titans to the Teen Titans Go so....

Need some more tough looking less cute Pokemon designs and names

How come cute Pokémon a problem? o_O I live for them.

The question is why waste your time with ugly ones? anyways, there should be a balance to please all fans. The cuties should exist for marketing and to make people, like me happy.

Nockturne

As long as the core premise of the games remains "catch monsters, fight monsters" I can't think of a realistic change they could make to the games that would put me off Gen 8

Nockturne

I can't think of one =/= there isn't one.
I suppose only time will tell but right now there is nothing to make me think I won't buy the games. No change over the past 20 years has been enough to put me off for a whole generation, the closest they got was no old Pokemon in B/W, but they fixed that in B2/W2 and I'm not the stubborn genwunner I once was. Like I said as long as we catch monsters and fight monsters I'll give it a look, I'm not gonna pretend like I honestly believe they might make Gen 8 a first person shooter or something.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Lol Bolt my dude, you sound like Onision listing off definitions.
You're using weird names again! This is so perplexing! Stop that.

And of course it's dumb to just automatically say yes to everything. Look at me! I'm going to buy some new, unrevealed cereal that I don't know what it contains yet! I will simply dive in blind and go automatically digesting this new cereal that actually has high fructose corn syrup products without a care!

You have to take some precautions. You can't just cave into everything without having at least a bit of skepticism of what might happen. That's just being silly! You don't have to be over hesitant but at the same time, think of it before taking the action.

Airin_

or Bunnie
you're all just taking the question way too seriously. let people be excited and look forward to something as simple as a pokemon game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
you're all just taking the question way too seriously. let people be excited and look forward to something as simple as a pokemon game.
I can't stop you from being excited. I can, however, give criticism for such a viewpoint.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
You're using weird names again! This is so perplexing! Stop that.

And of course it's dumb to just automatically say yes to everything. Look at me! I'm going to buy some new, unrevealed cereal that I don't know what it contains yet! I will simply dive in blind and go automatically digesting this new cereal that actually has high fructose corn syrup products without a care!

You have to take some precautions. You can't just cave into everything without having at least a bit of skepticism of what might happen. That's just being silly! You don't have to be over hesitant but at the same time, think of it before taking the action.

Why do you people always use cereal as an example...? The two are completely incomparable.

As for the weird names... do you not know who Onision is...? Have you been living under a rock?

Nockturne

I'm going to buy some new, unrevealed cereal that I don't know what it contains yet! I will simply dive in blind and go automatically digesting this new cereal that actually has high fructose corn syrup products without a care!
So is it a totally new type of cereal from a brand you know nothing about, or is it a new flavour of an old cereal from an established brand that you already have 20 years of experience eating?

Its not like Gen 8 is a total question mark right now, lets be real, there is a degree of predictability when it comes to Pokemon. Its not like we're talking about buying the latest game in a franchise we know nothing about, from a developer we've never heard of. There is no chance Gen 8 is going to be a Pokemon karting game, or FIFA but with pokemon, or COD but with pokemon.