• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many pages long are your chapters normally?

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
My chapter lengths are oddly uniform. Apart from the prologue, which was one and a half pages, Chapters 1 to 9 were all very close to eight pages. Then came Chapter 10 which ended up being twelve pages, and since then all chapters have come very close to that number instead. The more dialogue-filled ones are probably shorter than they look, though, due to all the extra line-spacing that there isn't so much of in a description-filled chapter.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
In Embarking, the chapters were originally about four, reaching its five page mark easily. Now, further into it, I'm managing to get nearer eight and longer. I think five to eight is a nice length, but on here it looks slightly small.

Iota

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
Well, I am definitly getting bigger. MY average chapter is 10-12 pages on Word. Often, I can get to 13. Now, there have been some rare cases where I have been able to go to 14, 15, 16, 17, and even 20 pages on Word for a single chapter. I actually got two 20's in a row one time. So, I guess I am improving.

Clare

The Dainty Delcatty
I find I tend to hover at around 5 - 7 pages

Glajummy

Why so S E R I O U S
Mine tend to vary quite a bit, but lately mine have been in between 6-13 pages. Ironically, I used to write much larger chapters, but as my writing improved he length of my chapters shortened.

Pretty much the same for me. With my old fic(s), my chapters were around 15 or so pages. Now they're around 10 with even more quality.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
OMFG everyones writes so many pages per chapter...I might think about extending mine gradually. I usually aim for 3 pages bare minimum but they easily reach 5.

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
OMFG everyones writes so many pages per chapter...I might think about extending mine gradually. I usually aim for 3 pages bare minimum but they easily reach 5.

Keep at it. While, just last year, 5 pages was a vast accomplishment for me. My chapters for my last series used to be 1-4, and if I was LUCKY, I might have gotten to 5. Just keep at it and you can make them larger if that is what you want.

Diddy

Renegade
The thing I'm writing now, I'd say its about 6-9 per chapter. For one of them I hit eight pages and decided that I want to stick to that as a bare minimum.

It seems to work as the next chapter I did is about nine, nine and a half pages, they just steadily keep getting longer.

I'm pleased with it. and juding by what others have said, it appears to be a decent length to keep it at.

CHeSHiRe-CaT

A Curious Breed
My chapters are normally about ten to fifteen pages in length. However, in the case of chapters that contain important plot elements, heavy conflict, or a combination of both, I tend to write twenty pages or more.

CHeSHiRe-CaT

A Curious Breed
My chapters are normally about ten to fifteen pages in length. However, in the case of chapters that contain important plot elements, heavy conflict, or a combination of both, I tend to write twenty pages or more.

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
I try to keep them from 9-14 pages, most of them end up right around twelve. That's about the right length to get a decent amount of plot, characterization, etc. in before it gets too long.

Arcanine Royale

So far, most of my chaptered works average around 3,000 words, which is probably 6ish pages (but then I used 9 pt Verdana, so what do I know...). I try to keep my novel non-episodic, so that might make the trend shorter chapters. However, for my current projects I'm aiming for around 5,000-7,500 for chapter lengths because I want fewer chapters...

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Jello Pokéballs
often, my chapters fill about 4-6 pages, except for the prologue and a couple others. i aim to begin writing longer and better chapters eventually.
Longer isn't always better :). Do what you feel is right for the story and most of the time it will work out fine (As long as you don't make them so short that you are braking the rules ;))

BladedScizor

In Microsoft Word, using 16 point Times New Roman text, I usually hit somewhere between 9-11 pages per chapter.

Lately it's been getting easier to reach the top end of that range, so I have a feeling my chapters will be getting longer as time goes on, especially once I start getting to some three-on-three Pokemon matches.

rocky505

5 at the least is how far i go with my pages.