• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many pages long are your chapters normally?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Anywhere from forty to sixty.

But I'm a freak. ^.<

~Mix

...wow.

Usually, I shoot for a minimum of two pages, at the bare minimum. The rules say one page, but back in my day I remember them being two pages. When I introduce a story, typically I aim for six pages minimum and tend to thin out from there, but I've gone on for rather longer than that before. If I'm writing "crackish" fiction it tends to be shorter, but original fiction can get pretty expansive.

The chappters for my old, and now dead, fic used to be around 4 to 6 pages but in my new fic, the chapters are around 8 to 10 pages.

The chappters for my old, and now dead, fic used to be around 4 to 6 pages but in my new fic, the chapters are around 8 to 10 pages.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Yeah, I'm very much similiar.

All of my old fanfictions would be anywhere between four to eight pages, typically, because some chapters were completely boring and only needed to express one thing, or one small event, so length wasn't my concern. But now my minimum for each and every chapter in my new fanfiction is ten pages. So far I have written seven completed chapters for it, and only one hasn't been ten pages (although I plan to edit it in the future and add a few more pages to it...I just got extremely bored and ended it at nine pages exactly. XD)

Asuran

Chapters shouldn't have a set length. For example: I once wrote a very good chapter of only one page. Sometimes chapters are used for dramatic effect.

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Chapters shouldn't have a set length. For example: I once wrote a very good chapter of only one page. Sometimes chapters are used for dramatic effect.
That's true, for the most part. ^.^

But I think it sometimes depends on what type of story you are writing. I highly doubt you can write a good chapter for an Original Trainer fic in one page, because there are so many things you can do with a chapter. You really couldn't give an excuse because reviewers would say "you could have put in a small battle, met with a rival, captured a pokemon.." the typical thing that should happen in an OT.

And regardless of whether a chapter is used for dramatic effect doesn't exactly give you the privilege to write out one page for it and that's it. But for more familiar genres, like for example, Romance or Adventure, I would say that a one-page chapter could be pulled off quite well.

Asuran

Actually, writing a one-page chapter works quite well for dramatic effect. In fact, I have seen a very well written chapter that consisted of one sentence: "Why?"

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
I'm not saying it can't work completely.

But in some genres (like an Original Trainer) that wouldn't definitely work too well unless there are many dramatic elements in the previous chapters. But in more central, common genres, it could be pulled off. I just would criticize something like that in an OT if it doesn't have any relativity to anything in the story whatsoever. Most OT fics can pull off four-page chapters easily (just write a battle or develop the character more). But you couldn't write a one-word sentence chapter for an OT.

My Fanfic which I am currently writting, has chapter l,enghts ranging from 7-9 pages in length. I find that this a very good length for me. I am able to put in a good amount of detail, and keep the story moving. I cannot fathom how people can write 20+ page chapter so consitently (It freaks me out so much!) *feels very small and weedy in comparison*

But, as I said, it's a good length for me, so... yes. That's what matters anyway...

Thanks. PocketmonMaster.

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
It varies a lot, depends on the amount of dialogue and the number of scenes. Usually, I shoot for 6 or 7.

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
I'm working on writing more at a time...

at the moment Writing 2/3 pages is the norm, although I shall be breaking into 4/5 pages soon (hopefully).

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
I cannot fathom how people can write 20+ page chapter so consitently (It freaks me out so much!) *feels very small and weedy in comparison*
I know the feeling. ^^

So far the closest I've gotten to 20+ pages is 15 pages. I do want to write a chapter that's over twenty pages long; so much action, a few battles, and lots of character-building is possible, but it would take me quite a week or so so to complete it, and let's hope I wouldn't lose inspiration or start to experience procrastination. That chapter would be downhill from then. xD