• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many ppl are into battling?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I used to be, kind of burnt out now and I don't overly enjoy battling in Gen 8 anyways. I've been having more fun with the PvE elements recently (Raids and Dynamax Adventures) but I'll probably get back into competitive play again eventually; I always do.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I put up a Pokémon battle video every Monday to Friday on my YouTube channel. Been battling online since Generation IV with Pokémon Battle Revolution, and I don't intend to stop now.

It bugs me that I rank down at the end of each month though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I used to be, kind of burnt out now and I don't overly enjoy battling in Gen 8 anyways. I've been having more fun with the PvE elements recently (Raids and Dynamax Adventures) but I'll probably get back into competitive play again eventually; I always do.
That's kind of me for some generations now. I didn't mind the occasional battle, but it's just gotten too competitive and just not that fun.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
That's kind of me for some generations now. I didn't mind the occasional battle, but it's just gotten too competitive and just not that fun.
This is why I mostly do battles against friends. It’s less competitive and more friendly. In that set up the wins and losses don’t really matter. I do occasionally have a couple matches online but if I do it is an unranked match. The current competitive scene is not like it was when I was playing HeartGold where it was mostly people just coming up with crazy teams and seeing what worked as opposed to the current cookie cutter/formula driven scene and to me that’s a huge bummer.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
This is why I mostly do battles against friends. It’s less competitive and more friendly. In that set up the wins and losses don’t really matter. I do occasionally have a couple matches online but if I do it is an unranked match. The current competitive scene is not like it was when I was playing HeartGold where it was mostly people just coming up with crazy teams and seeing what worked as opposed to the current cookie cutter/formula driven scene and to me that’s a huge bummer.
Yea I miss doing that. Used to some years back and it was fun.

Not to mention the focus on making perfect teams. Not everyone has the time to do it, no matter how easy it is to do so. It still takes time, not to mention patience, especially if you don't have a 5 iv or 6 iv Ditto to start with.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i like battling but its mostly YT vids of the gen8 games. havent really put some time into actually battling lately in gen8. loved battling in gen6, gen7 burnt me out/lost interest to the use of Zmoves. had some good battles in gen7 but Z moves really messed up my team...

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
If dynamax isn't a part of the equation, then yeah, I like a good battle.

Flamer

I got a quite into competitive battling in Gen 6 and 7. By Ultra Sun was actually doing decently in Ranked Battles and those online tournaments they do every month. But haven't really had the same appetite for it in Gen 8. I think part of the problem is the meta has been shifting very quickly this Gen, as the DLC in particular keeps opening up new options. As someone who enjoys building their team through breeding on cartridge, I found that by the time I had my first team all good to go, I only had a little time playing with my team before needing to rebuild. And that just killed the fun for me.

As others in the thread have pointed out, there's lots of fun PvE stuff in SwSh to complement battling. And the DLC itself keeps the game itself fresh and worth coming back to. So I guess battling is just less of a focus this Gen, as there's more longevity to the game anyway

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m burnt out from competitive mainly due to Dynamax. IMO it’s a unbalanced mechanic and I prefer to play meta games that ban it. Waiting to let Smogon’s tiers settle down a bit before I play again because there’s been a lot of shifts in tier lists.

I’ve been participating in fanmade Leagues that work similarly to the Gym Challenge where people choose a Type to specialize in and accept challengers. It’s fun watching people make a team to counter the entire league

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, ever since Triples were removed on Gen 7, I completly lost my interested on battling online. Dexit didn't help things either since I can't form a full team with my favorites.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I should probably mention that my YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Overhazard

And this is my most recent Pokémon battle video (I just put up an Endless Dynamax Adventure run, but that doesn't count), which was Tundra Tourney:

I blame that on the much easier access to guides on how to make very specific teams and make them fast. This happened in the TCG around Generation IV where original decks that win tournaments get copied en masse; meanwhile, even decks that make runner-up, if they don't outright win, were often ignored, as to those players' eyes, they were second best. The Durant Mill was the ugliest example of that. It began as a genuine off-the-beaten-path deck, but the moment it won a Regionals tournament, suddenly one-fourth of all people in a tournament brought over Durant Mill decks. (There were exceptions though, like Generation III's Raichu-Eggs.)

Unique to the video games, though, are the for-profit hackers who will generate entire pre-made teams for you for a fee. I suspect there are many people online who would rather pay the fee to near-instantly have a team they can use online than assemble a team themselves. For them, this is no different than selecting a character in a fighting game or paid DLC.

Putting together an experimental team without looking up recipes requires more courage than a lot of people are willing to put out, honestly. But really, I think there's always been a tinge of this. You were more likely to see Johnny teams from Japanese players then, and you're more likely now. For instance, here is a Japanese team themed entirely on sea creatures--but whom only one of which is a Water-type.

I’m burnt out from competitive mainly due to Dynamax. IMO it’s a unbalanced mechanic and I prefer to play meta games that ban it. Waiting to let Smogon’s tiers settle down a bit before I play again because there’s been a lot of shifts in tier lists.

I’ve been participating in fanmade Leagues that work similarly to the Gym Challenge where people choose a Type to specialize in and accept challengers. It’s fun watching people make a team to counter the entire league

So does that mean you don't play the Battle Spot matches? (For the record, I only play Battle Spot. I prefer the pick-3/pick-4 rules.)

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
So does that mean you don't play the Battle Spot matches? (For the record, I only play Battle Spot. I prefer the pick-3/pick-4 rules.)
I played a bit during the base game & Isle of Armor’s release weekends but, otherwise, no. It’s not even the frequent amount of people using hacked Pokémon or all legendary teams since, despite me never doing either, I don’t care if others play that way. It just gets old too fast for me. It’s better when I’m playing with someone who I know since there’s some level of rivalry there.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Dexit has affected 2-3 team members, i still love the megas but im glad z moves are gone. heck, Dexit has affected more than a few pokemon, i wanted to bring over some shiny pokemon and some favorites but dexit. i bred a shiny Buizel in UM a month ago but its currently stuck in gen7...

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
i don't like strategizing on the fly. i prefer reading about current metas to use strategies offline against wild pokemon. add that to potential cheaters and ragequitters and you get the idea.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Not into it. Battling online or locally is something I never done in my 20+ years of Pokemon. I don't like to make a specific team nor do IV checking.

Competitive is a thing I always avoided at doing. I'm causal to the max.

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
I get the itch to, but after my first day was spent being maimed by Mimikyu decoy abuse, perfect IV Obstagoons, and status effects, I kinda gave up.

My last two fights went a lot better, but it was mostly because my Eternatus has a lot of speed in it. Haven't yet dived into PVP since either DLC launched.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
I have not battled in pvp at all in sword and shield. I had some experience with it in Ultra moon, but I mostly did route trainer battles, Not that used to pvp yet...

Plus, I focus on attacking moves. never once used an attack like growl or leer.

I do use attacks like sleep powder though. I don't like to use yawn at all though.

Last edited: