• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many ppl are into battling?

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
Also, Yes. I almost never do pvp. It is mainly because I like to focus on catching certain pokemon, and sometimes I get angry when I accidentally have to battle a Cpu, and I am angry because I can't find the pokemon I want. That still happens, and I also don't like to fight others in pvp because of the fact that I don't know what their team is. If only I could use my zeraora...

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Breeding and training a competitive team is just so hard for me so I dont do it =[

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Breeding and training a competitive team is just so hard for me so I dont do it =[
Yea, I don't do it either. You should have seen me when I did my first pvp in sun. Oh boy that was PAINFUL! I went up against a team full of shiny Legendaries!!! That so whipped my under-leveled team very hard.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

To be honest, I never shiny hunt, YET I GET SHINYS ANYWAY( Yes I am looking at you, My shiny barbaracle and shiny WEEDLE) (Weedle be a god)

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't battle anymore. Dynamaxing ruined it completely for me.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I don't battle anymore. Dynamaxing ruined it completely for me.
That’s why I just battle against my friends right now. We have a strict “no dynamax” rule. But I don’t always get to battle them and I have over 100 Pokémon to choose from for battling right now and don’t always have a chance to see if their movesets work.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I occasionally like to battle, but battle facilities are the highest I will go. I don't think I'm good enough to battle real people and I can't team build to save my life. I have bred perfect IV Pokemon and capped Pokemon that can't breed so I can use them to mess around with strategies.

I don't care about gimmicks, so I'm not one of those people who go "Why are Megas gone? Dynamax is so bad!" people. Dynamax is likely going to be gone next Gen anyway, so hopefully people can stop complaining. And before anyone goes "Megas make more Pokemon viable", people fail to mention G-Max made some Pokemon viable too. Lapras and Coalossal are the big ones; they're nothing without their G-Max. I bring this up because no one else does, but that doesn't mean I'm taking sides.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I occasionally like to battle, but battle facilities are the highest I will go. I don't think I'm good enough to battle real people and I can't team build to save my life. I have bred perfect IV Pokemon and capped Pokemon that can't breed so I can use them to mess around with strategies.

I don't care about gimmicks, so I'm not one of those people who go "Why are Megas gone? Dynamax is so bad!" people. Dynamax is likely going to be gone next Gen anyway, so hopefully people can stop complaining. And before anyone goes "Megas make more Pokemon viable", people fail to mention G-Max made some Pokemon viable too. Lapras and Coalossal are the big ones; they're nothing without their G-Max. I bring this up because no one else does, but that doesn't mean I'm taking sides.

Butterfree as well. Arguably Charizard, though it varies depending on single battling or double battling. Coalossal I see much more often as a simple Dynamax rather than Gigantamax though--its competitive use nowadays comes more from Weakness Policy when partnered with a Pokémon with Aqua Jet, taking advantage of on-the-fly Speed calculation to ensure it gets to use its maxed-out Speed from Steam Engine from the first turn. Max Rockfall for the Sandstorm and subsequent Sp. Def boost is more valued than G-Max Volcalith for the non-Rock residual damage.

Honestly, the gimmick that I miss the most is the one least mentioned by competitive players for some reason: triple and rotation battles. Battle Royals too, which was criminally underused in Generation VII games, not being an available in some online modes and playing an extremely minor role in the Alola stories.

Never been into battling, let alone competitive battling. I did some online fights in gen 4 back in the day but nothing too seriously and have since done one battle ever, with a random person on the train on our way to a con during the X/Y times.

I prefer shiny hunting over developing competitive teams and strategies.

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
I'm on and off with it, though when I stream Pokemon I often get battle requests in chat (set up channel points to manage requests fairly and so they don't get overwhelmingly spammed).
Ranked battles are on and off, and I strongly prefer doubles over singles, though most people that request battles lean towards singles.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I like battling, but I'm not the best at teambuilding. Haven't battled in a while tho

Det. Viper

Was able to have a few 6v6 battles against a few of my friends this past weekend and had a great time. Was testing out a team I put together. (I build the Pokémon then try to fit the builds together to see if they make a cohesive team.) 5 of the 6 are pretty set in stone and deciding between two for the 6th slot. Will eventually put it up in the RMT section for advice once I think I’m ready. But it felt really good to get some decent battles in.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm more of a roleplayer when it comes to pokemon (play multiple games as if it's the same person traveling to different reasons), though I really got into competitive battling last March since Gen 8's whole motif is about sports & competition. I used to hate it because of stuff like Smogon's rules & tiers, and I would never win in casual matches since so many people spammed teams of shiny legendaries, but after giving it a chance I was able to see the appeal. It was challenging at first, but it was fun coming up with so many strategies with my roleplaying to overcome my opponents.

However, I'm kind of taking a break from it for a while partly because I've been struggling with winning ever since the Crown Tundra came out, & partly because I was a little obsessed with it for a while & I needed to focus on other priorities. Plus, I have a habit of getting really competitive whenever I'm in a losing streak, so I felt it's just not worth it.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I battled a lot in Gen V, especially at my school. I like to think I was a hotshot among peers, back in the day lol.

Slowed down in Gen 6 and basically was nonexistent in the competitive scene during Gen 7.

I miss Megas, I remember having a team catering to M-Lopunny, spending hours just to get it how I wanted and then they trash the whole gimmick. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I love battling though, use to do the leagues on here every blue moon. Only thing is I love breeding too, I find myself breeding so much I never have time to train the Pokémon I want to use against people and I get tired of using the ‘Mons I’ve already trained and used.

Lastly, battling friends/acquaintances > battling complete randoms almost always.

Det. Viper

Lastly, battling friends/acquaintances > battling complete randoms almost always.
This. This is why I don’t play ranked matches. Last generation I played ranked battle spot less than 10 matches and played against the same team of 3 about 5 times. Not fun. With friends we’ll help each other out with breeding and trading good Pokémon to beat each other with too.