• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many software resets do you have to do in order to get a shiny Palkia in Pokémon Shining Pearl?

Cerys

I have put in over 24 hours of game play into Pokémon Shining Pearl on the Switch and I still haven't encountered a single shiny.

I am currently software reseting to hopefully get a shiny Palkia. I am on attempt 550 lol.

How many software resets did it take other people to get a shiny Palkia or even shiny Dialga?

BCVM22

The probability doesn't stack that way - [x] number of resets doesn't guarantee you anything when shiny-hunting. It's the 1 in whatever chance every time you try - every time, you're rolling a multi-thousand-sided dice and only a small handful of outcomes has what you want. You could get it on your next try, you could try forever and never get it.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
The odds are always heavily stacked against the player most often 8000 to 1. And even bigger fail chance for legendaries.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That's the thing about statistics, there isn't a point where you can say "you're guaranteed to get it another X number of attempts", it doesn't work that way under independent events (instances where the previous draw affects the next draw). Every time you SR, you have a 1/4096 chance each time. It's possible you could get it on your 1st time, your 100th time, your 1000th time, or an innumerable amount of times to win that 1/4096 chance. It does get more likely that you'll get it with more tries, but no one is going to be able to give you a concrete number and say "this is how many times it'll take for you to get it".

stonebluejohn

I know sometimes it takes ages and sometimes it doesn't as said above haha. My Dialga took about 800 (lost count a couple of times) but I had a Latias in Omega Ruby which took about 8000 with a shiny charm. Just keep going and you will get it soon! Let us know when you get it!

Blood Red

【推しの子】
It took me less than half an hour of resetting to get Palkia. In contrast, I've spent multiple months hunting for other shinies, sometimes going 5-6x over odds. It's all random.

It's completely luck based. I've soft-reset hunted all non-shiny locked legendaries/UB's in the Ultra games. The longest took almost two months of daily soft resets during my free time, the fastest one was just an hour and a half. It's basically like throwing a die with 4096 sides and needing one specific number.

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
It's completely luck based. I've soft-reset hunted all non-shiny locked legendaries/UB's in the Ultra games. The longest took almost two months of daily soft resets during my free time, the fastest one was just an hour and a half. It's basically like throwing a die with 4096 sides and needing one specific number.
Prime example, I've been shiny hunting Solgaleo in Dynamax Adventures (which is supposed to be 1 in 100 odds with the shiny charm) for months, no luck. I soft reset ONE TIME in Alpha Sapphire because I accidentally fainted Eon Ticket Latios and got a shiny. I think I have the stupidest shiny luck ever.

Mr.Dance

The probability doesn't stack that way - [x] number of resets doesn't guarantee you anything when shiny-hunting. It's the 1 in whatever chance every time you try - every time, you're rolling a multi-thousand-sided dice and only a small handful of outcomes has what you want. You could get it on your next try, you could try forever and never get it.
Truth my brother is almost at 5k resets for his shiny starter. I assume he won’t give up and play the new game in a few days lol