• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How many years do you think that generation 8 will last?

How many years do you think that generation 8 will last?

• Less than 3 years.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Around 3 years.

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Around 4 years.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Rune Knight

(JP) Generation 1: February 27, 1996 - November 21, 1999 (3 years and 267 days).
(EN) Generation 1: September 28, 1998 - October 15, 2000 (2 years and 17 days).

(JP) Generation 2: November 21, 1999 - November 21, 2002 (3 years and 0 days).
(EN) Generation 2: October 15, 2000 -
March 19, 2003 (2 years and 155 days).

(JP) Generation 3: November 21, 2002 - September 28, 2006 (3 years and 311 days).
(EN) Generation 3: March 19, 2003 - April 22, 2007 (4 years and 34 days).

(JP) Generation 4: September 28, 2006 - September 18, 2010 (3 years and 355 days).
(EN) Generation 4: April 22, 2007 - March 4, 2011 (3 years and 316 days).

(JP) Generation 5: September 18, 2010 - October 12, 2013 (3 years and 25 days).
(EN) Generation 5: March 4, 2011 - October 12, 2013 (2 years and 222 days).

(WW) Generation 6: October 12, 2013 - November 18, 2016 (3 years and 37 days).

(WW) Generation 7: November 18, 2016 - November 15, 2019 (2 years and 362 days).

Well, as most previous generations lasted around 3 years, I doubt gen 8 will be any different.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I think we're likely to get at least one more Gen VIII game late next year, either something like LGPE or a DPPt Remake. As well as DLC a few months later. Then Gen IX in Autumn 2022.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m going to go with 4 as I feel like they’ll do both Let’s Go 2 Johto and DP remakes.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Believe it or not, I'm a little bit worried about Gen 8's length and I really hope I'm wrong about said worry.

It's the franchise's 25th anniversary next year. Sun/Moon, the start of Gen 7, was released on the 20th anniversary year, which made me feel like a lot of Gen 6 was left unexplained, X/Y especially. I have a little worry that the same thing might happen to Gen 8, which will make me feel like the Gen really was rushed, but I don't want to think about that.

But aside from that, I do expect it to be the standard 3 years, even if I do think that they should take their time more like most think. Nothing wrong with giving this Gen one extra year; maybe it and things after could benefit from that...

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I Think gen 8 will last 4 years. In 2021 we'll get DP Remakes and I hope that 2022 will be another break. but there's probably gonna be either DCL for the DP remakes or Let's Go Johto.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
They'll probably stick to the usual release schedule of three and a bit years, I think there'll be one more pair of games in 2021 after the Crown Tundra, hopefully the fabled Diamond and Pearl reboots, then we'll get Generation 9 in 2022.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
4 years is what I hope and I think they could actually do that, lining the tenth gen for the 30th anniversary on a new console and for that to happen this or the next gen needs to be four years long. But the main reason being the troublesome development of SwSh on top of four years straight of yearly releases so I think the next gen titles need a bit longer.

Luthor

Well it might depend on if production on the next games has been delayed by all the events of 2020 or not. If it hasn't my guess is it will be a shorter gen however if it has delayed the next production I could see them extend out this gen longer just to give them more time.

TwilightBlade

Well it might depend on if production on the next games has been delayed by all the events of 2020 or not. If it hasn't my guess is it will be a shorter gen however if it has delayed the next production I could see them extend out this gen longer just to give them more time.

Yeah I think the current pandemic might affect the creation of the next big games. Probably not delay them, but maybe Gamefreak will have scrapped some of their initial ideas to make programming the next games easier. I just hope we don't get Dexit part 2. :[

Sakuyamon

A couple years more but it wouldn't surprise me if this generation is longer than the others because of DLC and expansion packs that can be used to give this generation more longevity.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I could see new core games being released as early as next year. I don't think that COVID-19 has affected the development of the next games that much since I imagine that programming them wouldn't require all of Game Freak's staff to work in the same office space.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I think Gen 8 still has some life in it after Crown Tundra arrives. I'd be hyped as hell for Let's Go Johto or D/P remakes (especially DP remakes) although I'd rather they took their time making it so we didn't get a rushed mess (some tweaking to the Let's Go formula would also be appreciated), and honestly I could see them adding an extra DLC after Crown Tundra if they really wanted to. Plenty of spare space and story ideas they could continue on from, or make a new island like they have already. COVID will have no doubt affected things but I'm optimistic either way!

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think 3 years. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4 years.

It depends. If they make DP remakes next year, I think it will be 4 years since I think they need 1 year break.

I honestly think that with the massive amount of delays insinuated by the pandemic we'll probably and in my opinion hopefully get at least an extra year over the standard 3.
Pandemic + sinnoh games in 2022

I think waiting for November 2023 is quite credible