• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How much different would the series look if Ash had been allowed to age?

wandiong

in DP hes by right 17-18 already and XY he should be 21-22 already

why?

i know how badly is it when on 20ish getting pride trampled. what you will do? simple. "revenge"
but i know ash isnt as stupid as usual guy who will kill someone

so he kept honing himself that making him nearly unbeatable in league till alan come

Jason3b93

The writers would need to stop being lazy and develop him further.

OR

They would change protagonist every now and then

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
The writers would need to stop being lazy and develop him further.

OR

They would change protagonist every now and then

Nope, the writers won't change athing because of age and switchign protagonistts will nto work since the writes can just rehash Ash's personality in every new one

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
Nope, the writers won't change athing because of age and switchign protagonistts will nto work since the writes can just rehash Ash's personality in every new one

Then that just prove the writers and director boards are 3rd-rate staffs where they can't do their job finely by providing a satisfying result to their audience aka customers.

All of such 3rd-rate staffs deserved to be fired.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's a question that I've been asking myself lately because I've been told other animes have aged their protagonists.

Other anime age their protagonists, but that's because their audiences age, and so the characters and story mature with the audience. The Pokémon anime is, and always will be, targeted toward young children. Ash doesn't age, because the age range of the target audience hasn't and won't change.

As others have pointed out, Ash has aged mentally throughout the series. He has steadily become more mature. Physically aging him would accelerate his mental maturity, but that's about it. Ash's basic character wouldn't change. He would still be a lovable idiot. The story might become a little darker in tone, but probably only to the degree that it's age appropriate for an older audience.

Pokemon 10-year-olds aren't really equivalent to real life 10-year-olds. 10 in the anime seems to basically be the equivalent of 16-18 in the real world since you're basically considered a young adult not a child so I don't see how shipping feels weird. especially because the characters don't even look or act like 10 year olds.

I disagree. Just because 10-year-olds are considered old enough to travel the world on their own in this society doesn't mean 10 years old is the equivalent of 16-18 years old. They are still children: they are treated as children, addressed as children, look like children, and act like children.

Sprinter1988

I would like to think that if Ash were to age, he would take on a fellow trainer as a protege, rather than just have travelling companions who don't do much. That way the anime can still have all the stupid moments of a newbie trainer without having to reset Ash and Pikachu every time.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You assume aging would be enough to prevent them from keeping Ash's character under the status quo's iron grip?

Izanagi777

Well, actually Ash did matured along with the series.. The X/Y Ash for example is actually more mature than let's say the one in the Johto region.. So i think it won't really make any different

J D Sheppard

If ash aged then its possible he would of stepped down as main character, with other game inspires leads taking over. With maybe ash as a mentor

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Honestly, I felt that Ash has grown as a character, up until BW. (Still think it was a series reboot tbh) I really felt like I saw an age difference from OS to DP. At that time, we weren't aware that the writers decided to freeze Ash's age at 10 so it further supported my opinion of growing older. But those three series: I really saw mass character development and growth. And then XY was a continuation of Ash's growing person from DP, so I like how they handled that. Though, I'll admit. I only saw XY here and there. I do need to rewatch it.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don't think it'll change anything really especially if he's kept under the age of 13.

Cat's Eye Draco

Not a thing that I can tell apart from obvious changes in his physical appearance. Mentally he's progressed at a fairly steady rate from OS-XY (excepting BW).

He was already mature by the time of XY, in personality and art-style-wise. Other than that, if you really want to see what would happen:
Haha, oh man, that last picture. Morbid.

But boy, just from those pictures alone, I would've loved to see an 18 year old Ash reuniting with an 18 year old Gary. Ugh, would be so cool to see a fully grown Ash with all the years of battling experience with him. I know there are some theories that the time in the anime is arbitrary, that time might not pass the same in real life, but still.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Haha, oh man, that last picture. Morbid.

But boy, just from those pictures alone, I would've loved to see an 18 year old Ash reuniting with an 18 year old Gary. Ugh, would be so cool to see a fully grown Ash with all the years of battling experience with him. I know there are some theories that the time in the anime is arbitrary, that time might not pass the same in real life, but still.

An 18-year-old Ash would probably act the same as the current Ash, though. And besides, Ash's battling experience fluctuates too easily, so I wouldn't expect to see any consistency from him even if he aged.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I'm not sure watching the anime would be any more or less enjoyable if Ash was in his teens or older rather than ten. I'm just fine with him maturing as a character.