• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How much has the Pokemon Anime developed since episode 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsPatrick

Pretty self explanetory, how far do you think the Pokemon Anime developed?

Post the major or minor changes that you thought affected the Pokemon Anime for the good or bad.

For me I think the Pokemon Anime has lost some "orginality" when the B/W series began because it has similar scenarios as previous Pokemon Animes.

Also no bashing on what other people think or believe :)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The anime changed quite a bit during the AG and DP eras, due to the introduction of a major female lead and the Contests, as well as a more mature Ash.

However BW regresses the series back to what it was in Kanto/Johto, just without the nostalgic value.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well, the art's gotten cleaner-looking, that's a plus, and the voice-acting got a tiny bit better (but hey, it was 4KIDS). The writing... eh, not so much. They kept getting new writers, and that screwed it up quite a lot. I feel that had they stayed consistent with the writers, the episodes would be a whole lot better and actually would've stayed with what little plot there was. I will agree it did get a little different during the Hoenn saga (though Max was annoying enough to take away from it), you can tell they wanted Ash to develop as a character (and May was fun while she lasted). But then something happened, and Ash has gone back to being a dimwit.

So yeah, nothing much has really developed with the anime. It's just a way to market the games and appeal to the kids. The movies seem to just get dumber as time went on, though. At least with the earlier movies, while they contributed to the plot a little bit (more obvious with the first couple of movies, you can tell they wanted to go somewhere with them), they at least had a story to tell and had good rising actions and climaxes. Nowadays, the movies feel forced, like it they're trying so hard to be episodes stretched out to fill a 90-minute mark. They're only there to make more money.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Well, the art's gotten cleaner-looking, that's a plus, and the voice-acting got a tiny bit better (but hey, it was 4KIDS). The writing... eh, not so much. They kept getting new writers, and that screwed it up quite a lot. I feel that had they stayed consistent with the writers, the episodes would be a whole lot better and actually would've stayed with what little plot there was. I will agree it did get a little different during the Hoenn saga (though Max was annoying enough to take away from it), you can tell they wanted Ash to develop as a character (and May was fun while she lasted). But then something happened, and Ash has gone back to being a dimwit.

Actually the majority of the writers have been exactly the same for 15 years. The only guy who is gone is Takeshi Shudo, who stepped down as the main anime director during mid-Johto...hence the Johto saga turning into endless fillers around that time.

AG, DP and BW all had the same writers, and most of those were around during the Kanto/Johto days as well.

Xisis

Time Anomaly
plus i think that they wanted to take a more serious approch to team rocket to

TheEliteEmpoleon

Well the drawing and other technical stuff has improved. The characters are mostly the same. I would say it has changed a bit.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, the anime is made of several aspects ranging from basic premisse to animation, so the level of improvement depends in what aspects we're seeing.

Anyway, I'd say that overall, the anime has improved a lot as the years passed. The animation became better (following the industry's current trends and technologic evolution), some "old plots" became more interesting, old standards were broken and etc.

So, I think, it has really improved and to me, it's becoming even more interesting than what it was before.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
'It's all the same, only the names will change'
That applied to the anime until the start of Best Wishes, then everything changed. But the biggest change of all that really annoyed me about the new series? Changing Ash's eyes, it showed his maturity and he was so cool in the sinnoh series, really mature and I was starting to take him seriously. Now I can't sit and watch the new series because the new look and voice actors are terrible, I could watch any episode of all the previous series over and over, but best wishes is just painful to watch now. I'll see the episode pictures over on the official site, but beyond that and predictinos, I'm done with the anime.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Everything has developed ten times more than back in episode 1. What kind of question is this? I know BW is a reboot but it;s a rebott done right the right way. Somethings things are alittle strange but it's better than back then.

Mikuri

Sorry for my English
Undoubtedly, the writing has changed a lot. In the original series, the writers did not bother much with the plot (GS Ball and Johto fillers say hi!) and the character development. They improved a lot since the first episode; the girl of the group got something to do, the evil teams gained some prominence and the rivalries were worked better for sure.
From Pokémon – I Choose You! to Memories are Made of Bliss! we see a clear evolution. But BW came and ruined everything. All the progress made was thrown in the trash to create a re-run of Kanto. I miss DP writing style so much, and the absence of Pokémon Contests is terrible for me!

It certainly has. I notice that it isn't as cartoon-like (ie.: Misty once pulled a hammer out of nowhere in an episode in the original series and hit Ash). BW is like the original series, except without this type of stuff.

gamer_legend

I'd like to say it has very much if it weren't for the fact they go "Hey let's have a massive unforgettable adventure maybe with some legendaries and some special Pokemon!" then go ahead and forget them the next episode. That really is annoying.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Yes, the anime has improved from what it was.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
Yes it has improved. There is so much development with the characters and the Pokemon. How can anyone say that now is worse than epsidoe 1?

Serah

Lifes a happy song
I would not say BW ruined it as much as I would say BW degraded the story telling we had in DP. I do enjoy BW for the battles since in DP they were way over the top and to many eps focused on only battling.

Breeder Drew

The anime had developed quiet well up until B/W, forcing us to believe that somehow, via mystical powers or whatever, Ash is still ten. I was hoping for a bit of age advancement, but I guess not. The only really good thing that has came out of Best Wishes is Team Rocket being taken more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.