1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How much improvement does foreshadowing in the anime need? Is it still in the experimental stages?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 18, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

I feel that when it comes to foreshadowing, it's one of the central elements of storytelling that I feel that anime crew could really improve on. Its also why I kind of feel some people tend to forget that the Sun and Moon anime has improved a lot in certain areas but you can also tell in the Sun and Moon anime that they are experimenting with foreshadowing of epic story-lines even after 20 years of Pokemon animation.

To give an idea of how well-done foreshadowing can be in the Pokemon series, here is an example below featuring the Advance Generation seasons take on the foreshadowing of the Team Magma/Team Aqua story line and the Pokemon Adventures Ruby and Sapphire take on the foreshadowing of the Team Magma/Team Aqua story line.

[​IMG]
    In the second episode of Advance Generation, this is the first time we get to see Team Magma in action. It's actually a fairly decent debut leaving an air of mystery, foreshadowing a massive story line ahead of time. It's pretty simple and basic. Team Magma grunts appear, they don't really do anything and that's practically it. The foreshadowing is them in those Magma uniforms looking for something and that's basically it.

[​IMG]
    In Pokemon Adventures we don't necessarily see the Team Aqua/Team Magma storyline clearly hinted here. Instead we see Wally and Ruby admiring Petalburg City's seashore view, it's quite pretty but notice how Wally mentions that afterwards that not a lot of people know about this because people rarely come here due to big tsunami's being strangely more common than usual recently.

[​IMG]
    Later Wally mentions that their have also been a lot of recent earthquakes recently and unlike the tsunami's Wally mentioned, we actually see them happening here. All this talk about earthquakes and tsunami's happening in the seventh chapter, what does this have to do with Team Magma and Team Aqua since they never appear here?

Anyone who is aware of the lore behind the Hoenn region and connects the dots realizes that this is some really ominous but subtle foreshadowing here of a massive story line in the works. To those who never played the games and read Pokemon Adventures first, the connection of a later dire event all the way to this early subtle foreshadowing may seem shocking.

Foreshadowing is a staple of storytelling. The anime certainly can do this complicated foreshadowing as storytelling is a huge part of their marketing nowadays ever since the decline of viewership from Gen 3 and they have actually done a lot of this recently in the SM anime. You can see the anime crew is improving at storytelling but in some ways it feels like the anime crew are still experimenting with foreshadowing as seen in the Sun and Moon anime where lots of potential story-lines are foreshadowed a few episodes ago, a great example being the Necrozma story-line hinted at through books and Poipole's drawings. This was a great way to foreshadow Necrozma's storyline later on and I feel like the SM anime crew have possibly nailed the foreshadowing aspect although some fans may say that the excellent foreshadowing was so good that they may have hyped up the Necrozma storyline a bit too much. As many of you know foreshadowing a massive storyline also has to synergize with the massive storyline it's foreshadowing. You have to have both and I feel the SM anime is a great example to see what the anime crew have greatly improved on over the years but still need mastery over certain areas.

[​IMG]
    OMG! OMG! I KNOW WHO THAT IS! A STORY ON EPIC PROPORTIONS IS GOING TO HAPPEN! THIS IS GOING TO EASILY BE BETTER THAN THE TEAM FLARE STORY ARC! - Necrozma fans everywhere... a lot of people were excited for the foreshadowed episodes of Necrozma.

How much improvement does foreshadowing in the anime need? Is it still in the experimental stages? Or do you possibly think the anime crew is steadily improving through the Sun and Moon anime?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. KenzeyEevee

KenzeyEevee The Realistic male Eevee

I liked that Ninja Village foreshadowed Ash-Greninja.

3. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

foreshadowing is mostly fine, delivering on the other hand...

Redstar45 and KenzeyEevee like this.
  4. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

Pokemon special : Ruby and Sapphire arc had problem in storyline which i will explain later on why i do feel that way .
    But i think anime show try do best do foreshadow stuff even they doesn't well on it

5. shoz999

I think I have an idea what your talking about. The Ruby and Sapphire arc was amazing except for one particularly polarized plot twist at the end, am I right? The Sun and Moon have some good foreshadowed plots, one that stood out on everyone's minds was Lillie's PTSD.

Redstar45 likes this.
  6. I've never had much issues with how the anime handles foreshadowing. They're not always subtle, but they usually foreshadow future developments in a character.

However, there are some egregious examples of bad or just outright lack of foreshadowing. The appearances of the "dream crushers", for example. Characters like Richie, Tyson, Harrison, and Tobias literally just appear when there's a league, get about one episode of development, beat Ash and then disappear, never to be seen again. It was criminal that the Darkrai-using Tobias apparently went unheard of until he showed up at the league when a tiny bit of foreshadowing would have eased him into the show and create some tension. We'd be looking forward to Ash vs Paul, but also having Tobias in the back of our mind as a looming threat. As it was, Tobias' appearance was like pouring cold water on an otherwise good league.

7. Apslup

Apslup Saiyan/Namekian Warrior

I don't want too much since I like twists and turns, but I do want some subtle foreshadowing that we can pick apart and theorize about which is fun.

shoz999 likes this.
  8. shoz999

I know what you mean! I don't know about the anime fanbase but talking about possible plot theories on character revelations, background information, plot-twists, possible adaptations of the game from game mechanics to supporting characters and post-game episodes, world-building, references to past generations, returning characters, returning villains, the built-up to the villain, what Pokemon the hero or the villain could get in the Pokemon Adventures fanbase is quite fun! Why I thought of this really awesome theory that Sun, or as some of you may know as Elio, may be far more connected to the Alola region than one would think! From there, some fans thought it might be likely bringing up evidence from other parts of the manga I've never even considered or didn't noticed before! That was so fun. I'm most likely not the first one to come up with the theory but there's a sense of surprise on people's faces when a theory they bring up to discussion is confirmed to be true.

I feel like the greatest stories should always have enough subtle foreshadowing for future plot discussion with a good basis to it and well-connected plot theorizing for the fans.

Apslup likes this.
  9. mehmeh1

Talking about foreshadowing, I do wonder what tapu koko's cameos during the celesteela and blacephalon/xurkitree episodes were/are all about, I just hope it's not noshadowing like the malamar thing in XY

10. shoz999

In Black and White, I just saw the Team Rocket special featuring Meowth's travels with Ash & Co. Meowth traveling with Ash & Co. was so well-done, easily one of the best filler episode story arcs in the entire Pokemon series. Anyways, in terms of foreshadowing, I was pretty much expecting Meowth to betray Ash & Co. What I wasn't expecting is how subtle the betrayal was done! I was expecting Jessie and James wanting Meowth back and Meowth crying in tears or something. So if your a long-time viewer of the Pokemon series, you'd know that Meowth seperating from Team Rocket, joining Ash & Co. with Pikachu being the most suspicious and rejoining Team Rocket at the last second is nothing new, it's a familiar trend. All the more satisfying how the anime crew pulled it off. Have you've ever been that one guy who smiles widely when you realize what the heck is going to happen at the last-second! That was me when I noticed something subtle but familiar. Meowth seperating the Pokemon from Ash & Co. and sneaking off to a phone. There's no exposition, no thought sequences, nothing pretty obvious, only the familiar that doesn't make you boringly go, "Oh. This again. I know what's going to happen," but makes you excitedly go, "OH MAN! I KNOW WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN! Meowth you sly cat!"

I cannot remember the last time the anime made me smile this wide. I knew what is was going to happen but it happened nearly at the last second. Now that is not only good foreshadowing but a clever callback to how Meowth betrays Ash & Co. I hope in terms of nostalgia, with all the Gen 1 catering they are doing, the Sun and Moon anime still has enough time for some foreshadowing that can also serve as a clever callback.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 2:16 AM
  11. mehmeh1

it was clever, but sadly,
    it's never brought up again and things carry on as if meowth's fake leave arc never happened"

LilligantLewis likes this.
  12. shoz999

Not really surprised. It is the curse of the anime's popularity after all.

13. mehmeh1

yeah, it's also a problem with another foreshadowing from the bw saga, which was a big disappointment for people due to how early it was set up, I'll spoiler tag it just in case:
    zekrom has one more episode focusing on some ruins that are in his shape, which is supposed to be a reveal at the end of said episode, but zekrom is only off-handedly mentioned once afterwards and never appears again after the second bw episode

14. shoz999

No need for spoilers and... I saw the spoilers in the quotations... lol. Okay. Well that's a pretty bad way of handling BW's legendary mascots. Could at least give them a special like they did for XYZ's Xerneas and Yveltal. Although I suppose the movie in some ways did them justice by anime standards anyway.

15. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist R.I.P. Mr. Hillenburg

Well, the Malamar are were neither Legendaries nor important to the story in any way in the games. It might just be a final battle of the region type thing they're setting up.

16. mehmeh1

Just watched today's episode, and I feel they're setting up for something grander, or maybe the current two-parter is said "something grander"

17. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

The special was garbage and only served to steal a special from Serena.

AznKei likes this.
  18. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Cilan and lemon blondes special was good considering it also show cilan's multi talented side.

19. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

I was talking about the legend of XY&Z special

20. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

At that time, it was obvious the producers/writers trolled the Serena fans, and people were still hoping for her Alola cameo.

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.