• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How much of a threat is my microwave oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZz

Well-Known Member
Is microwave radiation harmful? I know a nurse who does not own a microwave for this reason.
What are your thoughts?
 

SummerHaze

Well-Known Member
The thing is that infrared light, micro waves and radio waves have a higher wavelength than visible light, meaning they have even less energy to excite electrons. With regards to danger of radiation poisoning, micro waves are even less dangerous than light, which you're literally seeing all day. Here is more info about 5 ways to detect the radiation https://ecotestgroup.com/press/blog...iation-exposure-in-radiological-laboratories/. Now I'm thinking of buying radiation detector for home use too.
 
Last edited:
Microwaves aren't ionizing so there's no harm. Unless you'd find yourself inside of a giant microwave that is.
I'm a nurse myself. And we don't have physics as one of our courses in college so she/he is just being paranoid.
 

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The radiation given off by microwaves is pretty much very minimal and unless the glass on the door has a giant crack or hole in it, you’re pretty much safe. Cell phones and computers emit radiation too but no one has gotten cancer caused by radiation from them. An older boxy tv even gave off X-ray radiation and people were perfectly safe using them for hours everyday.
 

mariopepper

Member
I don't think so. When I buy a microwave I check its options at manymanuals. Daewoo QT1 operations instructions for my current one. And I now for sure it's harmless at all and I can safely use it. I prefer to know more then to know nothing.
 
Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I live in a dorm room, so almost every meal that I eat is prepared in a microwave since I don't have regular access to a stove. I'm unaware of the supposed dangers of microwave radiation, but I don't really have a choice either way.
 

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Honestly I think you would be more likely to be hit by a car or lightning than die from the radiation given off by a microwave. The radiation is contained pretty well and the walls and glass are extremely thick and would be extremely hard to damage. The only way you could easily make a microwave extremely dangerous by accident is by putting a piece of metal into the appliance and turning it on. Aluminum foil won’t do much as some microwaves can handle it but leave a fork in a bowl and you have a major problem. Radiation is basically everywhere and the amount you receive from certain things vary depending on how long you are in direct contact with the source. Cell phones, computers, and even hybrid cars give off some form of radiation.
 

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Don't listen to these guys, OP. Microwaves are far deadlier than they're being given credit for, and they're by far the most dangerous appliance most people have in their kitchens: with their unrivaled blend of portability and heft, statistically, you're far likelier to be bludgeoned to death with a microwave than any other appliance. The toaster is a distant second, but they simply lack the weight to be lethal in the hands of most amateurs.
 

Zora

Who dies first?
They're not especially deadly.

There's two ways radiation can be absorbed: the first is by ionization, which microwaves are simply unable to do (you need to be around x-ray range before ionization occurs); the other is by dieletric heating, and microwaves are absorbed by water as heat--this is why a microwave oven works at all. In theory, you--being a big sack of water--can absorb microwaves and it can heat your hand via dieletric heating, but like, that's fundamentally no different than just sticking your hand in boiling water. On one hand, probably painful if it were to happen, on the other hand you'd probably feel it and react accordingly--our bodies evolve to sense temperature changes but not radioactive elements.
 

KillerDraco

The Enforcer
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't listen to these guys, OP. Microwaves are far deadlier than they're being given credit for, and they're by far the most dangerous appliance most people have in their kitchens: with their unrivaled blend of portability and heft, statistically, you're far likelier to be bludgeoned to death with a microwave than any other appliance. The toaster is a distant second, but they simply lack the weight to be lethal in the hands of most amateurs.
I'll admit, this response made me laugh.

That said, I think the question of how dangerous your microwave would be is one that's better directed at Google than a thread on a Pokemon forum.

So, closed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top