1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How much time have you spent playing DPPt compared to HGSS and why?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by Brian the Pine Tree, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The title says it all. I've noticed that usually when I replay my old Pokemon games, I'l pick up Platinum more often that HeartGold or SoulSilver. This is because I prefer the Sinnoh region and the Pokemon available. It's also easier to level up. HeartGold and SoulSilver are by no means bad though.

Do you play DPPt or HGSS more often?

2. Dragalge

Dragalge Ronathan Edwards sucks

I play Pearl more then SoulSilver because, despite the slow speed of the games, I still like the region and the leveling is not as bad as Johto's bad leveling curve. I still sunk some good hours in SoulSilver back then but nowadays I only go to it for the Apricorn Balls.

3. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

I have spent a lot more time on D/P/P than HG/SS. As for why, the simple answer is that I like the Sinnoh games more than the Johto remakes. To explain a bit further, I had more fun with D/P/P than with HG/SS. D/P were released at a time when my interest in Pokemon was very high and I had lots of fun with these games. They have some flaws, but they were good for their time. Platinum is a great improvement over D/P, fixing their problems and keeping the good things from them. These games also have quite a lot of content, not as much as Gen 5 but there is still very much to do. As for HG/SS, they are my least favorite games in the series and they were relased at a time when my interest in Pokemon was at its all-time low. The biggest issue I have with them is the lack of training spots and the awful level curve, but there are so many other problems that when they are combined, they just make the games plain unenjoyable to play. It took me 5 years before I finally got around to completing the Pokedex in them, and after that, there wasn't a lot left to do. I find HG/SS to be seriously lacking in terms of content. The only thing I have left to do in them is to complete the Battle Frontier, but I have already played through it in Platinum so I have no motivation to play through it again.

Guess I got a bit carried away there, but that's how I feel. I have spent over 1000 hours on my D/P/P games, but only somewhere over 300 hours on HG/SS. That's quite a big difference, and there's a good reason why.

4. As of right now I've played more HGSS, but mainly only because I've had HGSS for longer.

5. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

When I play the Gen 4 games (which isn't that often these days), I tend to stick with Hg/Ss cuz I'm a huge Johto fan and I like the walking Pokemon feature. Those games also have two regions, which makes exploring more fun than in D/P/Pt. ^^

6. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

I always play Platinum more than the other Gen 4th games because I liked the new story elements and the updated graphics in that game. Diamond & Pearl seemed so old and outdated by comparison and HG/SS was never my cup of tea.

7. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

I think I've spent more playing HG/SS than Platinum because I loved to hear the 8-bitish music of the GB Sounds and also because I've spent more time on its in-game features like the Pokéathlon and also probably beating the Elite Four more times in HG/SS just to rematch Red in the game.

8. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

i've played platinum longer than soulsilver, but that's probably cause i had platinum much longer. plus the music and pokemon in sinnoh are awesome. also watching the dp anime made me want to play more platinum i guess. soulsilver was great too though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  9. xYachu

xYachu Spicy Tuna!

I play SS more often, it just has a charm to it. Or maybe because I really enjoy walking with my pokemon strutting after me, it's just adorable, I'm still bummed they didn't keep up that feature in the newer games. Also SS' region is big, seeing as Johto and Kanto are mixed, it's makes it fun to explore it. I dif enjoy having contests back in DPPt, but I guess pokeathlon was more fun actually.

10. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Gen 4 is my most played generation overall, though I've spent more time on DPPt.
    My playtime on my main G4 games breaks down like this:
    Pearl: 800+ hours
    Platinum: 999:59
    HeartGold: 430s

I have copies of Diamond, Platinum (spares), and SoulSilver that I use for replays. Haven't kept track of the exact number of hours spent replaying the games, though I know I've replayed the Sinnoh games more.

The Sinnoh games are my absolute favourite in the series, so I've invested so much time into them. I did the usual things like completing the Pokedex and challenging the Battle Tower/Frontier on my Pearl and Platinum, plus I set goals for myself to encourage me to keep playing. For instance, I ended up raising 5 boxes of Pokemon to at least level 50. That really boosted my playtime thanks to all the time I spent breeding, EV training, and levelling up Pokemon.

Even though I haven't spent as much time on HGSS, I really like those games a lot. It's just that I chose to keep using my Platinum as my #1 Gen IV game after HGSS came out, so I continued to spend most of my time on Platinum.

I also think the fact that Sinnoh was a new region in Gen 4 contributed to me playing DPPt more. With HGSS, I had already spent hundreds of hours exploring Johto-Kanto in GSC.

Now, though, I'm playing my HeartGold the most of my Gen 4 games. I still have things to do on that game and I've been breeding and raising Pokemon for a new Diamond playthrough on it. One of the reasons why I've been playing HG more is actually because of the fact that I haven't spent as much time on it over the years. Like, I've already maxed out my main Platinum's timer, so why not increase my HG playtime?

11. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I don't remember how much time i spent playing DPPt, but i do know that i spent over 999 hours on Soul Silver, mainly due to the PokéAthlon and my attempt to complete the pokédex (which failed).

I did spend a lot of time on Platinum's BF though...

12. DarkLeviathan

DarkLeviathan Banned

I've played Diamond for nearly 800 hours compared to only 350 or so hours on SoulSilver for example. HG and SS didn't have much replay value in my opinion.

13. LadyTriox

LadyTriox ~Korrina in her little white dress :) <3~

Not as much time as on other games, as i kept restarting xD

14. Ninja Bulbasaur

Ninja Bulbasaur Well-Known Member

I've spent so much more time on Pearl than I have Heartgold mostly because I lost interest very fast in HeartGold. I don't really know why but I haven't gone back to it in years.

15. Cat's Eye Draco

Cat's Eye Draco Well-Known Member

I've probably spent more time on Platinum, because I've owned it for a longer time than I have SoulSilver.

16. Vroomer

Vroomer Well-Known Member

HG. I don't own SS, D, or Pt. I picked up Pearl and couldn't play it. It's missing a lot of the touch screen functionality HG has. Pearl plays like a Gen 3 game where the second screen touch only works in battle. HGSS implemented the second screen for touch quite nicely.

17. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Although I liked all three games, I spent much more time playing Platinum, because the remakes didn't really improve the pacing and because I've never been a fan of Voltorb Flip.

18. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

I always focused on breeding in Diamond and on filling my Dex in Pearl, so I played them more than Platinum; I've only played Platinum for 80 hours lol.

19. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

I've spent tons more time on HGSS combined than the Sinnoh games, but that's not saying much when I've spent so many hours in Sinnoh.

Overall, I'd say I've got about 600+ hours of play time recorded for Sinnoh, which might not sound like a ton to some people, but I tend to go through some of the games rather fast; I've got over 270 hours on Diamond, over 250 hours on Platinum, and probably one playthrough on Pearl for about 30-50 hours. I was a huge fan of the region and of the series as a whole back then, so there's some significant time investment. However, I haven't replayed them much at all - I'm fairly certain, actually, I only have had one complete save file each. As much as I loved them, by the time it was time for me to think about replaying, it was either in the middle of the Great Funk of 2012 (the only year I didn't play the games much at all) or there was something else out that was newer and more exciting.

Johto is an entirely different story for me. I started off with Silver when I was really young, in about 2001, so when HGSS were announced I was absolutely ecstatic. I love the region more than any other - I'm guessing that on the remakes alone, I've played well over a thousand hours. I've explored every nook and cranny of the region at least three times; I've gone through the (rather sparse, admittedly) plot loving it every time. It's perfect to me - and even seven years later, HGSS remain as some of my favorite games ever alongside ORAS and SM. There's the aesthetic, there's the aesthetic, the character design, the native species - I'm eternally in love with all of it. If I could live in the Pokemon world, I'd make a cute log cabin just north of Bellchime Trail and be happy forever.

The funny thing is, though, I have yet to truly "beat" a Johto game! I've played hundreds of hours, but getting to the point where I'm able to defeat Red reliably has never been easy - I've never done it with my own in game team. I intend to change that this weekend, though! I've just started a save on SoulSilver in which I'll be using only gift and special Pokemon, to make it a real challenge - so I'll be racking up a few more hours for HGSS.

20. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Pokemon Master

HG all day for a few reasons

1. Johto and Kanto are the best regions to date IMO (Linear, compact and small town feel to it). Johto also has the best towns in my opinion

2. 16 Gyms + Rematches > 8 Gyms and rematches

3. Half of Sinnoh was a mountain making HM use constant, it really limited the potential of my Pokemon party.

4. Heart Gold had Pokemon following you the entire game, in Platinum you only got that feature in Heart Home city.

5. HG music is much better in my opinion as well.

In short HGSS was what Stranger Things was to 80 kids. It was a love letter to the older fans of Pokemon.

Also Im a bit biased because Johto is my favorite region of them all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.