1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

how old, is old enough to like pokemon???

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by wise24, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Typhlosion Trainer

Typhlosion Trainer Fire Trainer

The age to stop liking pokemon is the age where you just lose interest in it. There is not a definite age where ppl stop liking pokemon. Each person is different.

2. WynautQueen

WynautQueen Pokemon Caretaker

Hear, hear. Many of us will grow out of it eventually, but until that time comes, best to enjoy it. I remember in my first days playing Pokemon Blue being overcome with excitement upon finding a Pikachu in Veridian Forest, and Pokemon's never stopped delivering exciting moments like that in some way or another.

3. Qymaen

Qymaen Petals and Leaves

Alot of people in my grade either like or at least highly tolerate Pokemon. I'm Fourteen and I love Pokemon, especially the Original Series and the Advanced Generation Game, LeafGreen. I believe Pokemon is as timeless as Star Wars.

;001;

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. mattj

mattj .

Agreed. If anyone doubts it, try making it to any of the Pokemon Video Game Championship events. You'll see kids from 3-60 having a great time playing Pokemon.

5. NimhShambler

NimhShambler Fighting Type Prof.

Pretty much what every civil person on here has already said.

It has no age limit. Yes, I see it petering out in about 3-4 years, but that's no reason to stop playing, either. (Hell, I still play RBY.) Of course, I'll play until death, or blindness and arthritis makes it impossible.

The only people who say Pokemon is "immature" and "Kiddy" have never played it, or have played many years ago. It's changed quite a bit. I mean, I don't think a little child could fathom IVs, EVs, DVs (which are overall, unimportant...the Dynamic Values, that is.) and to a lesser extent, Type matchups and Stats.

As for games like "Modern Warfare" and such, what, may I ask, is so mature about killing? Yes, I play the Elder Scrolls Series, the Silent Hill series, and many, many others, but still, the bloody carnage, or lack thereof, does not make a game "mature" or "immature". In truth, Pokemon is more mature in that it draws in older fans without using sex, drugs, and graphic violence. The pokemon series has a good, solid storyline, and at the same time, isn't overly complicated or totally fantastic (as in being..."stupid sounding".). It's a good little diversion, and is heaps better than going out, getting fu*ked up on drugs, getting drunk and possibly killing either yourself or innocent people when you try to drive home, or going out and wh*ring around, adding to the spread of STDs and unwanted children. (Because condoms are never 100% effective, and some STDs and their ilk can be transmitted, even with a condom, such as "Crabs".)

Playing videogames (not just pokemon) is, actually, quite a responsible little passtime, though, as with everything, must be taken in moderation.

For the record, pokemon players aren't "losers", either. I'm training to be a Doctor, and I'm sure (since most are nerds) that many scientists play Pokemon and other videogames.

~Nem

6. Aquadon

Aquadon TCG Trainer

With apologies to RaZoR LeaF, but I love how people who claim that Pokemon is for children attempt to have a superiority complex, while actual people will accept it and sometimes join you. Lord knows my roommate has been dying to play HeartGold since it came out (yet he doesn't even have a DS)

I'll second this with a fact that I'm an Electrical Engineer, who keeps an overly active lifestyle (sometimes great, sometimes not so much), involved at my College, somewhat underweight, and still has time to play Pokemon. Most people know this about me, as I hardly keep it quiet. I was actually about to play Pokemon Monopoly with people in my new house before we went out elsewhere. I'll admit that my grades are somewhat average though as opposed to stellar.

Most stereotypes that people try to pull with Pokemon players I can throw right out the window. The same goes with my best friend and most of the people I live with in my house.

7. Now I don't want to start another flame war here but your arrogance is really starting to get to me.

First and formost I would like to ask of you what exactly is your definition of a children's game. Is it one which focus's on strategic elements and countless mathematical equations? Or a game that, by definition, enslaves creatures that fight to your will?

You do understand the context of an E rating right? I.e ment for everyone.
    You have the young genre (i.e 5-12 or so) who play it to the basic level, i.e, finishing the main plot, catching pokemon, leveling up etc and then you have the more mature genre (13+) who breed for egg moves, natures, evs, perfect ivs, master competitive battling etc.

Pokemon may look like a kids game if you just graze over the basic elements but when you explore much deeper you discover a much more challenging and complex gaming system.

I would never look down upon any who play pokemon. It's, to put it simply, a complex battling rpg game just like any other.

And most importantly it's enjoyable.

cheers.

8. wise24

wise24 MEWTWO KILLS!!!

Plus. Pokemon is just great in all ways

9. No. 1 Machop Fan

No. 1 Machop Fan Well-Known Member

You're never too old for Pokemon. Why, I'm 19 and I still play with Pokemon plush toys!

Oh, BTW, my Machop plush says hi. :p

10. Madame Helga

Madame Helga New Member

i dont think you can ever be old, even when you get older and have kids its still something you can enjoy and can sit down with your kids watch it or play it.
    heck all these years later and i still love it and feel the same way i do when starting a new adventure

11. tomthepom

tomthepom Well-Known Member

Thats just one big opinion...

But I'd say you're never too old to enjoy something, how is playing Pokemon different from playing any other video game? I know parents who I go to college with that when their children bought Heart Gold and Soul Silver, they also bought it so it could be a family-time thing, and both parents said it worked well.
    So when I'm older and if I have children of my own, maybe if Pokemon is still around, I'll introduce it to them. :)

12. Tropios

Tropios ':o Me is stinky??'

30 yo shouldnt play to much video games, but hey

13. LKH9

LKH9 UberN00b

Until the series ends or I die. Pokemon is awesome, just ignore that obvious troll, he's just practising his debating skills over the internet.

14. tomthepom

tomthepom Well-Known Member

I agree with the too much part there, you still need to find time for other things and duties, but if it makes you and others happy, why not do it?

15. Tropios

yeah (however i cant see how it would make others happy)

16. Luke the Almighty

Luke the Almighty Kickin' Gastly

It's a kids game because it's advertised toward kids.

But that doesn't mean non-kids can't play it.

17. WishforaMilotic

WishforaMilotic Shiny Hunter~♥

only the anime is atvertised towards kids... if you live in the uk, late at night when watching sky tv, you'ld see adults advertising hg/ss, saying how nostalgic it felt playing it, and how the graphics have improved since g/s

18. WynautQueen

WynautQueen Pokemon Caretaker

Who said you get to make the rules? You, a person who thinks an adult playing Pokemon is "creepy" unless they're good looking? I have to wonder what you're even doing here. Try to have a little tolerance for us adults; we're here to have fun same as you are.

19. Dragonfree

Dragonfree Just me

You're never too old for what makes you happy, period. The entire idea that people should grow out of liking things that they still in fact like is ********. Yeah, society looks down on middle-aged people who like cartoons. Why do they do that? Because middle-aged people aren't supposed to like cartoons. Why? Because society looks down on it. It's plainly circular logic with no actual basis in reality that serves only to deprive people of a little potential extra joy in their lives. Old people waste away in retirement homes; how much happier and more mentally stimulated would they be if they played video games?

All target audiences mean in principle is that the creator assumed a certain age group would be the most likely consumers of the product. Sometimes people who make things with children in mind exploit the naivety of their target audience to make something that adults are in fact very unlikely to be able to enjoy. But others, I'd like to think most, take more pride in their work than that and make something that's enjoyable for anyone who is willing to appreciate it, and it is plain that the Pokémon franchise is doing this in one way or another because the fact is a great number of adults do enjoy it. Nobody should give a damn what the target audience is; if you like it, you like it.

Again, however, yeah, it is intended for kids in that the target audience is kids, and yeah, there is a stigma associated with liking things that are "for kids". If you're afraid of social rejection, you can choose to stop playing and pretend you don't like it. Meanwhile, personally, I'm not interested in associating with people closed-minded enough to openly reject others for something as petty as that, and luckily for the human race, that's something most people seem to grow out of once they get to college. I mean, I don't go around telling people "HEY DID YOU KNOW I LIKE POKÉMON", but I put my Pokémon website on my CV and that just landed me an awesome web programming job. :/

20. Tropios

have tolerance, also for you but not for creepy old men ^^ aint i sweet