• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How old were you when you first started playing?

How Old?

• 0-4

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • 5-7

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • 8-10

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • 11-13

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • 14-16

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 17+

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
For me, I was 5 with Pokémon Crystal.

Silmiss

Dream Trainer
I was around 6-8, and I loved playing Pokemon Red. My save got deleted twice, so I had to rebuild ._.
Every time I picked Charmander, just because I really liked fire (any the other ones didn't look "appealing" :p)
I also started playing Crystal, but the cartridge we had's battery was dead so it didn't save. I lost interest of it quickly.
Around 7-9, I got Emerald. I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. It was such a good game, and I loved all the pokemon! (Picking fire-type starter as always, sometimes mudkip tho)
That's when I found Ralts. Oh boy, I loved it's evolutions. I always caught two as I didn't realize that Gallade was only in D/P/P. The scene where Kyogre and Groudon was fighting was really cool, aswell.
I could never play D/P/P or B/W/2 because we couldn't afford a DS. D;

(but im so getting one before events end)

thunder2910

Loves pizza
I finally managed to persuade my parents on my 10th birthday to get me a DS Lite, along with that I got the then brand new mystery Dungeons; Explorers of Time, and then a year later bought Diamond

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
back in 90 something (can't recall the exact year but it was past 95) i got that beautiful black gameboy pocket with one of my favorite games i played, warioland:super mario land 3. The next year i got pokemon blue, in christmas. i was about 7 i think, i didn't understand english at all but i kept going foward and thanks to pokemon, i got interested in the english language, which i like more than my native language. And thanks to that big blue cartridge of awesome, i met my favorite games. The myths in school boosted the awesomeness of the games even further and the games's music was fenomenal. I may not have many clear memories of the 1st gen games (besides raising a pidgeot in mewtwo's cave all the way to level 92, my highest leveled pokemon back then) but i'm thankful to have experienced one of the best games ever.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
I think I was 4 or 5 don't realy remember, when my parents bought me Blue and mu sister Red on a holiday :3 It was funny cuz we couldn't get past Oak's lab since we didn't speak English back then and we had no clue to pick a pokemon xD Now it has greatly taught me how to speak English (I hope) and I've never stopped loving Pokemon :D

TimelordDuck

Safari Hunter
I was about 5 or 6 when my parents had Diamond and pearl, and when I was really mad when I lost a battle (this was often..) I'd swing the top screen up and down by holding the bottom, if you know what I'm talking about you'll understand. I broke the ds a year later, and it was in the parking lot so everyone could watch at the time, I was crying over it breaking..I still wish to play diamond again.

I'm being totally serious here, but I was 24 (back in the spring/summer of 2010) when I first started playing and really getting in to the games (first game that I bought then was Soul Silver)
I have liked Pokemon since it came here to America, but at that time I wasn't in to playing the games at all.

Got a ROM hack of diamond when i lived in ireland. It was 2007 i think and that was my first game (it didn't have save states; the furthest I managed to go was victory road. I was 7 I think. Then I bought Black three days after it was released and played it on my granny's DS =). Then when I moved to England I got a DS LITE and Mario, and I bought SS then diamond then stuff went further. Still have that same DS lite except the skin broke so its now green not black.

~sneasel

MedMana

Wired, Yet Tired
It was my sixth birthday when my dad got me a Gameboy and a copy of Blue. It was also 2004, so I guess I was late to the party from the very beginning....

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
I was around 6 when I played Pokemon Sapphire (my first pokemon game) for the first time.

Kalosian

So long
Don't remember exactly how old I was but I must have been 9 or 10. I remember that the franchise was really popular when I was like 8, then it took me a while before I got into it, and then somewhat longer until I started playing the games.

Teebu

Whatever year the gameboy colour & pokemon red came to the uk, I got it for that Christmas I think. I'm guessing I was about 8 or 9.

KAYLAF0X

The Fox
When Pokemon first came out and I got the game for Christmas along with a new Gameboy, back in 1998, I was 7 years old? Yeah, I remember that day pretty well, I got Pokemon Red(which I was excited because it had a dragon on it), and my step-brother had Pokemon Blue. My step-brother had no idea how to read, unlike me, as I was taught to read at age 4-5 by my mom, so he was angry that he couldn't just leave Professor Oak's lab and I had to show him he had to choose a pokemon(which I chose Charmander, and I named it "Firetail"). I got an Alakazam by trading with my step-brother, and I also got a Gengar(which didn't want to listen to anything I said because it was too high of a level, and kept hurting itself randomly and falling asleep in the middle of battle).

Tangeh

I was five years old, and it was Pokemon Red. I couldn't have been in school for more than a few months but I could read really well for my age. I saved up forever to buy a GBC and the guy at the store recommended pokemon for a game to go with it as it was popular with children, though I had never heard of it at that stage. ...and now I'm 21 and still going at it. xD

Aquarelle

Staff member
I have been a Pokemon fan since age 5 thanks to the anime, but I was not into video games at all back then.

So, I did not start playing the games until age 9, when I got Gold for my birthday and then Yellow a couple months later.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I grew up with the anime since 1998 (when I was 9) but the first game I played was Stadium back in 2000. My first handheld game was Ruby & Sapphire in 2003, I was 14 by then.