• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How should gen 8 ash be handled? 2.0

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Last thread got closed due to in-fighting. Try to keep it about Gen 8 Ash and not debate about all the old series.

As always, all information not officially released outside of Japan goes into the spoiler sub-forum and not here.

Fire away.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeesh, my version of the thread got gutted by the end....

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know. I always wanted to see Ash travel alone but he can have companions travel him from time to time and I mean all sorts of companions in just one region. I'm talking about Gym Leaders, Professors, Elite Four Members, rivals etc. It's great seeing Ash often rely on others for help but I want to see how well he can do stuff on his own.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
AG + DP Ash with some OS sprinkled on top = Best recipe

DP Ash’s skills with OS Ash humor/snarkiness. Sprinkle a little of SM’s exaggerations for a little razzle dazzle

So long as they don't make him twerk again, that'd be fine

You know. I always wanted to see Ash travel alone but he can have companions travel him from time to time and I mean all sorts of companions in just one region. I'm talking about Gym Leaders, Professors, Elite Four Members, rivals etc. It's great seeing Ash often rely on others for help but I want to see how well he can do stuff on his own.

Yeah, that'd be so much better than having actual companions and a great change of pace! Not to mention it'd give more Galar Pokemon some decent screentime!
I have a slight feeling M21 and the Ula'Ula arc were them experimenting having Ash being by his lonesome on his adventure

SatoSereFan224888

I think Ash should have a less major role in the anime in Galar. I feel he reached his peak in Kalos and should have been replaced for Alola. The writers are so stupid for not replacing him. I think he should become the rival for the female trainer or become the mentor for the trainers from the Shield & Sword games.

DatsRight

I notice odd SM episodes (especially Yonemura's) trying to phase back in Ash's snarky side, maybe it'll come back.

Peter Harrison

-Ash could have a combination of his DP and XY character. Both personality wise and character wise.
-And maybe Dawn could travel with him again.
-And Greninja could join his team again.
- Ash enters more tournaments,
- Pearlshipping could happen.

Just some random thoughts/ideas.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Peter Harrison said:
-Ash could have a combination of his DP and XY character. Both personality wise and character wise.
-And maybe Dawn could travel with him again.
-And Greninja could join his team again.
- Ash enters more tournaments,
- Pearlshipping could happen.

Just some random thoughts/ideas.

The only scenario that I could actually see happening in the new saga is the tournament thing, which I really think is needed to make the new saga as different from SM as possible. Satoshi having more consistency and possibly more maturity would be nice as well, but I'm placing tournaments as the priority for now.

DatsRight

The only scenario that I could actually see happening in the new saga is the tournament thing, which I really think is needed to make the new saga as different from SM as possible. Satoshi having more consistency and possibly more maturity would be nice as well, but I'm placing tournaments as the priority for now.

I think SM Ash's role in terms of chemistry and a catalyst character is something to maintain however. I loved the episodes between him and Lillie or the other boys this series since they were often clever ways of intertwining their development and giving them a fun dynamic. I feel like Kiawe and Sophocles could have risked being another third wheel male companion if Ash's character wasn't versatile enough to bounce off of them and string along some of their development, making them feel more vibrant, while I think Ash and Lillie's bond is the one thing that keeps the AF arc from being a COMPLETE downgrade from the games' story.

It feels like characters have a better ability to stick out if they have a good chemistry with Ash, so a colourful emotive version of him would be rather integral to that.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I like the group dynamics from SM for the most part, so some sort of spiritual successor to that would be nice. But at the same time I'd like for Ash to a bit more of a mentor figure to the companions and be a trainer as skilled as his BF/DP/XY incarnations.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like the group dynamics from SM for the most part, so some sort of spiritual successor to that would be nice. But at the same time I'd like for Ash to a bit more of a mentor figure to the companions and be a trainer as skilled as his BF/DP/XY incarnations.
I’m down with it as long as Ash doesn’t become too serious and he also gets to be a little snarky especially towards TRio.

Leonhart

Imagineer
JustAStatistic said:

SM's group dynamics have been pretty entertaining, but I'd like something more akin to the XY cast's dynamics, myself. I just loved how close they all were, almost like a real family. So I'd want something similar with each cast member getting along like siblings.

DannyDiglett

I hope the Sword & Shield series will be more battle-focused, in contrast to Sun & Moon. I liked the serious tone from DP and XY, although I can appreciate the comedy elements from SM as well (especially from TRio). I prefer Ash travelling and exploring the new region with 2 or 3 companions rather than the concept of having classmates and staying at a permanent location. But I have to admit the latter was refreshing.

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
My personal preference for group dynamics is the OS group. Ash, Misty and Brock are the most entertaining and the chemistry between the three is the best in my opinion. It’s not just Ash interacting with them while Misty and Brock ignore each other, at least Misty and Brock had interactions too which is what I want in the gen 3 group dynamic. I’m hoping for another group of 3 who all interact with each other and can be humorous in their interactions and feel close.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi definitely should travel around Galar in a similar fashion to how he traveled from OS through XY. I don't like the fact that he's stayed in one place for most of SM, so I want the next saga to go back to how the anime once was in terms of Satoshi's exploration of the region.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I understand why Ash was stationary most of the time in SM given Alola is just four islands plus the Aether Foundation and that it is the smallest region area wise. If Ash had traveled Alola, the series would have been way shorter than usual. So I think it’s safe to say that Ash will be traveling around Galar.

Dream Lad

Banned
Ash's personality will always depend on the characters surrounding him and the type of series that he's in.

I don't know what most people think of Alola Ash, but I think the happy medium was during DP, where he was more 'grown-up', but had a companion in Dawn and a rival in Paul that could bring out the entire gamut of emotions.

I also hope we'll get more ex-companions to appear in Galar. If Galar is supposed to be adjacent to Kalos, then I think it would be perfect if Serena returned.