• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How should gen 8 ash be handled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Banned
But in the next season I don’t think Ash will get a gf with anyone, since romance isn’t the main focus of the Pokemon Anime.

They literally just made an entire saga where the main female had a crush on him all saga with tons of blushing and shipping episodes leading up to her kissing him in her departure.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Everything to do with Serena was nothing more than ship tease to tie in with the region theming, its real world inspiration, and to provide a contrast after the negative reception to Iris. As long as Ash continues on his journey, he’ll never get any sort of romantic partner; the simple fact is that any romantic implications written are just meant to tease viewers, since, you know, Ash will always be a 10 year old with Pokémon at the forefront of his mind.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
That's not the problem. And it's not the writers's fault that the games's story is always the same boring tale.
Just because the games tell the same tale does no mean the writers can't simply invent new rivalry scenarios or even give the characters some more damn interactions with the villains. Just because the story is predictable does not mean the story needs to lack stakes or tension.

Kintaro

Banned
Everything to do with Serena was nothing more than ship tease to tie in with the region theming, its real world inspiration, and to provide a contrast after the negative reception to Iris. As long as Ash continues on his journey, he’ll never get any sort of romantic partner; the simple fact is that any romantic implications written are just meant to tease viewers, since, you know, Ash will always be a 10 year old with Pokémon at the forefront of his mind.

That's true, but either way it still happened. If you told anyone prior to XY, or even just 5 years ago, we'd have a female companion with a huge canon crush like Serena had on Ash that went on the span of an entire series, people would have laughed and said it sounded like fanfiction. Hell, half the things that eventually happened in the anime people would have never believed or said it sounded like fanfiction before it happened. Could anyone have predicted SM's slice of life? Team Rocket being serious for the first half of BW?

There was once a time people thought Brock would never leave again permanently after he kept coming back for Johto/AG/DP, and look what happened. Basically the bottom line is people make lots of assumptions about the anime and then a saga always does something new or different from the previous ones that people never would have believed until it happens.

DatsRight

Just because the games tell the same tale does no mean the writers can't simply invent new rivalry scenarios or even give the characters some more damn interactions with the villains. Just because the story is predictable does not mean the story needs to lack stakes or tension.

A key reason they need to develop on Ash's chemistry heavy focus in SM. Ash works better when he bounces off of the rest of the cast, helping them establish their personality and making for lots of fun interactions. They can make whole episodes largely around the synergy of the boys this series, I don't think they could with Ash and the others in BW or XY.

Actually SM would arguably be a lot blander if Ash wasn't bouncing off of everyone and acting as a string to tie it all together, since there actually aren't many non-Ash chemistries this series. I also imagine the AF arc would be even more underwhelming if not for Ash's bond with Lillie.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
A key reason they need to develop on Ash's chemistry heavy focus in SM. Ash works better when he bounces off of the rest of the cast, helping them establish their personality and making for lots of fun interactions. They can make whole episodes largely around the synergy of the boys this series, I don't think they could with Ash and the others in BW or XY.

Actually SM would arguably be a lot blander if Ash wasn't bouncing off of everyone and acting as a string to tie it all together, since there actually aren't many non-Ash chemistries this series. I also imagine the AF arc would be even more underwhelming if not for Ash's bond with Lillie.
sounds like sm need Satoshi more then new oc character that could definitely do same thing as Satoshi do that series......so sad

Kintaro

Banned
I don't see the appeal of XY era Satoshi other than his battling skills, but even then I feel like he was overrated in Kalos. I don't mind if he's competent in the next saga, but it might feel jarring right after the light-hearted nature of SM.

Ash seemed cool for the first time ever

DatsRight

Truthfully AG Ash seemed the best case of an 'experienced' Ash since he still had some of his old personality and his experience came more along the lines of him not just being more battle competent but actually being savvy to the plot. He actually saw some Team Rocket traps coming a mile away for once for example.

XY Ash was superficially suave, but a complete slave to formula. He didn't seem that self aware or responsive to any of the events and people going on around him. He was almost self involved in an unironic way, while SM Ash at least deconstructed all the complacent traits he had gained since then.

One exception I kinda liked was when Froakie started ignoring him in Fletchling's debut battle, and he immediately figured what was wrong with him, potentially avoiding an entire 'disobedient Pokemon arc' in the process. Early XY Ash had potential but then they just went for more superficial tactics.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Mix bits of AG and DP Ash together and that's the recipe for a good Ash. Great personality but not too much of it, competent and skilled battler
That is what I hope the gen 8 Ash is like
BW Ash was an idiot, XY was an overrated personality-less shell(The only good thing was him having a fully evolved team for once, be honest), and SM over killed the personality angle.
The only "XY" part I'd like is Ash having another fully evolved team, but I want the focus to be nice, even, and fair like it was in AG and DP. Not having a certain red/orange bird Pokemon hog gyms and battles while one evolves without hardly any battle experience as a result. Every member of Ash's team deserves a big battle/win. Poor Torracat and Noivern :(

Also Ash needs a unique outfit again, like M21 and OS-BW. Don't steal the hipster's clothing please.... it's so hideous! I could bare seeing the Scottish girl in the anime, but the guy outfit's just too freaking awful! I do not want to see Ash wearing that.... at least he wouldn't have the stupid hat. The cap's too iconic to replace, but can the hat PLEASE not be red for the third saga in a row?

Redstar45

Mix bits of AG and DP Ash together and that's the recipe for a good Ash. Great personality but not too much of it, competent and skilled battler
That is what I hope the gen 8 Ash is like
BW Ash was an idiot, XY was an overrated personality-less shell(The only good thing was him having a fully evolved team for once, be honest), and SM over killed the personality angle.
The only "XY" part I'd like is Ash having another fully evolved team, but I want the focus to be nice, even, and fair like it was in AG and DP. Not having a certain red/orange bird Pokemon hog gyms and battles while one evolves without hardly any battle experience as a result. Every member of Ash's team deserves a big battle/win. Poor Torracat and Noivern :(

Also Ash needs a unique outfit again, like M21 and OS-BW. Don't steal the hipster's clothing please.... it's so hideous! I could bare seeing the Scottish girl in the anime, but the guy outfit's just too freaking awful! I do not want to see Ash wearing that.... at least he wouldn't have the stupid hat. The cap's too iconic to replace, but can the hat PLEASE not be red for the third saga in a row?
He is alway wear red hat and they are that lazy enough to make him actually wear sun outfit from the actually game where he use to wear a version of the male player outfit.

People forget the amazing depression arc in XYZ as always I suppose. Character development is possible for Ash and that should be a major focus in the upcoming region. Character development for Ash

Redstar45

XY Ash had a lot of great shonen type personality, it's probably the most mature version of the character yet.
Problem is not everyone is like that aspect .......it is same for me with his sm childish personality and it is same with water down os kid stuff in bw personality.

Redstar45

And the rate for pokemon is falling over years @Kintaro sure they're do bump up before....
Barely.

Moonlight Starlight

After 10 generations, it was time for Ash to grow up. We can see the only alternatives is to make him an idiot again like BW, or silly like SM
I think the 10th Generation will be Ash's final League battle then not his 6th generation final battle or the 8th Region too. 10th number should be his lucky number going to his final 10th region and 10th generation as the biggest finale of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.