1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How should gen 8 ash be handled?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by mehmeh1, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

XY Ash doesn’t get back lash? In what universe? Literally EVERY iteration of Ash gets backlash.

BTS_fan and Sham like this.
  2. Sham

Sham Feel better soon

Why must every time someone brings up criticism about XY, the person automatically assumes they’re a fan of Sun and Moon and start acting the series?

Anyway agreed @ that “depression arc” not being development, he literally went to being the same when the Kalos League started.

3. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

XY Ash does get backlash, but not nearly as much as Unova Ash did. His competence and win ratio in Kalos is his only saving grace but man I don't want a repeat of that if he's gonna become overhyped again.

4. Kintaro

Kintaro Banned

Different people dislike the different incarnations of Ash, it's natural. Some people prefer the way he was in the OS, others DP, some XY and some SM. Since everyone has different tastes there is no right or wrong answer.

5. J.Agera

J.Agera I am 10 Billion Percent Sure

I should rephrase myself.
    XY Ash DOSEN'T get "so much" backlash.
    Majority loves him.
    SM Ash gets lots of backlash, you could say to, nearly BW Ash level.

Like, how can you even say XY Ash and the XY gang has no personality? Like go rewatch XY right now.

SM Ash has the least personality out of all incarnations of him.

Just because he didn't act like a kid in XY, doesn't mean he didn't have personality.

6. PorcelainVulpix

He was bland as hell in XY. And who is the majority? Because I mostly see fans complain of XY Ash’s personality constantly, even if they like the series. Most people only praise XY Ash for his competence in battle not for his personality.

SM Ash definitely does not have the least amount of personality especially compared to his XY iteration. He did a completely change and is literally bouncing off the walls now.

And as for rewatching..honestly I’m going to have to pass. XY was a snooze fest for me

7. J.Agera

How exactly do you define "bland"?
    People praise Ash for his Maturity too and how focused on his goal he was.
    Did you go through the entire show?
    Or are you new to the Anime community?

SM Ash has personality? That must be a joke because this the most generic incarnation of him I have ever seen.
    Writers seriously need to scrap this version entirely in the next Anime.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. PorcelainVulpix

SM Ash is..generic? And XY Ash has..personality?
    What alternate universe is this?

9. J.Agera

This is not an alternate universe. That's the truth.

10. PorcelainVulpix

....lol anyways

I wouldn’t mind seeing a more competitive side to Ash have them give him a rival that he’s constantly neck and neck with.

11. Ignition

Ignition Incineroar wins yet again (proud of my son)

I miss snarky Ash. Back during OS, he cracked a joke at both his friends and TRio. It’s slowly been disregarded for the most part as time went on.

12. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I'm arguing with myself?

You were the first person to claim "character development", so you first. I'm very interested in how you'd explain it because I wouldn't be able to spin an alternative take even if I worked for Fox News channel.

13. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

Same. At least it somewhat returned in movie 20, but I highly doubt we'll see snarky Ash in the main series again.

Moonlight Starlight and Ignition like this.
  14. SH65

SH65 Victory Over All!

Take XY + DP Ash and mix in is snark from OS and their you go.

15. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

Please don't be jeak to him ok ?
    DO not let him bug you as that is what he wanted from you .

SH65 and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  16. Lionel_B

Lionel_B Well-Known Member

Here's my opinion on Ash since Gen 5 ... We can not take seriously the writing of the character ... We can do anything we want with him, the writers can always retconné. But fortunately, since Gen 3, we have created heroes who have a purpose as well as Ash. Which makes me Ash's friends with so much interest.

There is only AG and SM who really pleased me ... Dawn has a deep development, but is retcon after losing at the Grand Festival, Iris & Cilan were colorful and had great potential, but who have not been exploited (reinforcing this feeling of sabotage of all the good stuff of Best Wishes) and the trio Serena, Clemont and Bonnie are companions who are too perfect for Ash and their interactions makes the series boring.

All that to say that my appreciation of a cycle in the anime no longer rests on Ash, but more on his companions. And if the tone of the series makes it good.

17. J.Agera

I m not being a jerk*.
    I am not bugging him either.
    What would I even gain in doing so?
    He is not backing up his claims either.

18. J.Agera

Subjective.
    I don't mind a friendly rival as long as he/she is well written.

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  19. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I mainly miss the snarky attitude he had with TRio in the Johto and Hoenn series. In Sinnoh he was still a bit snarky towards them but it seemed to have diminished. I just want Ash to see TRio attacking him again and say stuff like, “Are we really doing this again?” and also have Pikachu actually get bored as TRio captures it and puts in some sort of container that resists its electrical shocks and it just sits there looking bored with a look that says, “This isn’t even worth my time or the effort.”

20. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

So you're saying that everyone in the anime community should care about XY Ash?
    That people are weird and irrelevant of their opinions for disliking him?
    Did the anime producers/writers pissed you off by making him a slaptick character, hence giving the no personality, generic excuse instead of making him as an nearly flawless badass character in XY?

If anything, I'm glad they toned him down in SM and gave the rest of the cast more spotlights. I already saw him what he does for 7 generations, regardless of his regional incarnations, so he just doesn't interest me. I'll be very glad if they could do much more to the companions/classmates, especially about battling.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.