• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How should XP Work in Gen 8?

Which XP Model would you prefer?

• Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 2-4

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Gen 6

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Gen 7

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Equal XP to everyone

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

JohnLynch

A rundown of XP across the generations is as follows:

Gen 1: Wild pokemon give a certain amount of XP regardless of the player's pokemon. Every pokemon that battles gets a portion of the XP. The XP Share gives a portion of the XP to the party pokemon as well.

Gen 2-4: Wild pokemon give a certain amount of XP regardless of the player's pokemon. Every pokemon that battles gets a portion of the XP. The XP Share gives a portion of XP to the pokemon that holds the XP Share.

Gen 5: Wild pokemon give a certain amount of XP modified by the level of the pokemon that receive the XP (the higher the player's pokemon, the lower the XP that pokemon receives). Every pokemon that battles gets a portion of the XP. The XP Share gives pokemon that holds the EXP Share a portion of the XP as well.

Gen 6: Wild pokemon give a certain amount of XP regardless of the player's pokemon. Any pokemon that battles receives the full XP awarded by the pokemon. When the XP Share is turned on any party pokemon receive half of the full XP value.

Gen 7: Wild pokemon give a certain amount of XP modified by the level of the pokemon that receive the XP (the higher the player's pokemon, the lower the XP that pokemon receives). Any pokemon that battles receives the full XP awarded by the pokemon (after being modified by level). When the XP Share is turned on any party pokemon receive half of the full XP value.

Let's Go: Equal XP regardless of whether or not a pokemon battles.
----------
I'm actually completely okay with the Let's Go model (where all pokemon get the same amount of XP regardless of whether they battle). It means that you use the pokemon that are best suited to the situation rather than a poorly fitting pokemon just because your trying to keep your team at an even level. However Game Freak really needs to make sure that the level of wild pokemon and trainer pokemon takes into account the increased amount of XP granted and they make sure that the curve is suitably high. In Ultra Sun they completely failed to do that (IMO) until you got right to the end at which point there was a dramatic increase. The best game I've ever played is HeartGold which seems to get the curve perfectly right (at least for pokemon trainers and gym battles).

Whether it's a flat amount or scaling amount based on level is a "meh" issue for me. I don't really have a care in that fight. I'm not a fan of grinding so it doesn't really affect me.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Gen 7's system is fine. They just need to make areas with ridiculously strong Pokemon since the highest wild ones you can find are usually about Level 60.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The beauty of a scaling exp system is that it essentially auto-corrects level imbalances. You can use tons of pokémon, you'll be a bit lower level than if you use only a few, but you won't end up way behind because you'll simply get more exp to catch up. When you're quite a bit behind you'll just get a level every time you defeat a pokémon, so you'll catch up quite quickly. While if you're a bit ahead you'll get very little exp and the enemies catch up so you won't be in easy-mode for long.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I like Gen 7 best. I don’t think equal XP should be given to everyone. Also, I think the option to turn off the XP share should remain in the games. That way, you can make the game harder if you choose.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I prefer an XP system that your able to customize outside of just turning off EXP. share, same goes with random encounters.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I actually really liked the scaled experience in Generation V, since it makes it much harder to rely on a single overleveled Pokemon. However, the fact that the Pokemon used by Trainers award as much experience as the wild ones in Alola games makes grinding even more tedious and makes no sense by Pokemon standards, as it is canon that the wild Pokemon are weaker than those raised by Trainers. Hopefully they bring back the scaled experience, but make it so that Trainers' Pokemon award more experience upon defeat than the wild ones again. The Exp. Share is alright, as you don't have to keep it turned on.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Other.

Sooo here's my idea, curious on your thoughts.

First off, exp is given for every attack your Pokemon does. Obviously not as much as you would get for finishing the battle, but still a relatively reasonable amount. The idea here is that it allows every action to feel more important, like your training them. Additionally it allows for your Pokemon to gain experience even if they can't beat the foe, or if they faint. Again not as much as if you had defeated them, but still something.

{Side note I'd also make lvling up and evolution something that can happen mid battle}

Additionally you also gain experience at the end of battle. This is like a victory bonus (prob not as big as normal as you did in theory gain some exp during the battle).

Also... I would award a third type exp, this one though would be T.EXP, aka Trainer experience points. With this you can lvl up your trainer, which would allow for all sorts of bonuses from more exp, easier chance to capture Pokemon, more likely to get higher IV Pokemon and possibly shinies.

Aetius

I was tempted to vote for the LGPE model, but in the end I think that the one from gen 7 works fine.
Maybe in the future it will become like LGPE and if it will happen, honestly I won't mind.

Xuxuba

IMO, i think it should be a bit like Gen 7, but in a way that makes overleveling even harder. Also, wild battles should give less exp. than trainer battles, like it used to be before gen 7.

I would suggest something like this:

@EXP. share ON

100% of the Exp if your pokémon participates in the battle and the opponent is at the same level or higher than you.

50% if your pokémon didn't participate in the battle, but your opponent is at the same level or higher.

50% if your opponent's level isn't higher or the same as yours, but your pokémon participated in the battle.

25% if your pokémon isn't battling and your opponent's level is bellow yours.

@EXP. share off

Pokemon who didn't battle won't receive any exp. at all, but the ones who did will receive 100% of the exp, with a bonus or reduction of 50% depending on the opponent's level.

@Postgame

I think it would be cool to be able to upgrade the Exp. Share so they can give 100% regardless of the opponent level, as long as your pokémon battles, and 50% if he doesn't, also regardless of the level.

That way grinding to 100 won't be so annoying when your team's level is already way higher than any trainer in the game.

I wouldn't mind if it didn't have something like that though.

@ Grinding

One of the main problems with Gen 6 was that it needed more rematchable trainers.

I think it would be cool to have a key item similar to the AreaNav from ORAS, but also have several battle facilities all over the region where you can grind, so you don't have to keep walking all the time in order to find opponents.

These facilities should be divided by level and not allow any pokemon over a certain level.

For example, one of the first facilities to appear in the game should only allow pokemon whose level is between 10 ~ 20. The pokemon can reach a higher level imside the facility but he won't be able to enter again after he does.

That would avoid overleveling, encourage team rotations and make grinding more fun, because the battles would be balanced, you would fight pokemon around the same level as yours.

It would also be nice to receive prizes from these facilities as a way to encourage people to do them.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I think Gen 7
Exp share will still probably be one that affects your whole party. Which is great imo because my weaker team members can finally be stronger.
My close second was LGPE’s style with equal experience for the whole team.
@Xuxuba
Your suggestion is great! I was thinking along the same lines.

derekrandall

Other.

Sooo here's my idea, curious on your thoughts.

First off, exp is given for every attack your Pokemon does. Obviously not as much as you would get for finishing the battle, but still a relatively reasonable amount. The idea here is that it allows every action to feel more important, like your training them. Additionally it allows for your Pokemon to gain experience even if they can't beat the foe, or if they faint. Again not as much as if you had defeated them, but still something.

{Side note I'd also make lvling up and evolution something that can happen mid battle}

Additionally you also gain experience at the end of battle. This is like a victory bonus (prob not as big as normal as you did in theory gain some exp during the battle).

Also... I would award a third type exp, this one though would be T.EXP, aka Trainer experience points. With this you can lvl up your trainer, which would allow for all sorts of bonuses from more exp, easier chance to capture Pokemon, more likely to get higher IV Pokemon and possibly shinies.

I like the idea of trainer xp, and leveling your trainer giving certain types of bonuses.

DannyDark

I guess this is kinda like the.. O-Powers? I think they were called?
Little abilities that give bonuses that you manually have to activate and level up as you use more.. except in your suggestion they're be constant and tied to a Trainer Level that increase via battles?

(I voted Gen 2-4, just nice and simple; this Pokemon gives this much EXP, the fighting Pokemon gets all exp unless it's split with the EXP. Share holder.)

BCVM22

The system prior to LGP/E’s modifications was fine. Scale the XP based on the level of the opponent and give us the option to distribute it equally or funnel it individually.

Perhaps an even more useful tweak would be an Exp. Share customizable by lineup spot, so you can set it to funnel XP only to your specific Pokémon who didn’t participate in a given battle but are more in need of the boost than others.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
Perhaps an even more useful tweak would be an Exp. Share customizable by lineup spot, so you can set it to funnel XP only to your specific Pokémon who didn’t participate in a given battle but are more in need of the boost than others.
This please! As far as it goes, I don't mind the Gen 7 or the LGPE system.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Gen’s V and VII had the greatest Exp systems. Nothing more amusing than seeing a level 1 Pokemon get over 75,000+ exp when facing a much higher leveled Pokemon (Gen VII just needed stronger opponents is all). Plus they literally make more sense compared to Gens II - IV/VI in that beating up a level 10 Pokemon with a level 50 should be yielding even less exp from there and when your Pokemon get stronger.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I did enjoy gen5's system. The problem was some areas had Pokemon that just gave a crap average.

And then at a certain point all you did was hunt for them Audinos, assuming the route had one.

I think if they could find a way to even out what gives what gen5's system be fun to use again.... If my above suggestion isn't an option.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I did enjoy gen5's system. The problem was some areas had Pokemon that just gave a crap average.

And then at a certain point all you did was hunt for them Audinos, assuming the route had one.

I think if they could find a way to even out what gives what gen5's system be fun to use again.... If my above suggestion isn't an option.
Well there is BW2's White Treehollow/Black Skyscraper thing where you get to keep all the exp from battling a lot of strong foes (at least I believe you keep the exp and not the money). Hopefully we get an equivalent of sorts like that to help train Pokemon easier again (preferably with Gen V/VII's exp system of course imo).

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Gen 7's system is fine. They just need to make areas with ridiculously strong Pokemon since the highest wild ones you can find are usually about Level 60.
I'd be happy with that. Or if they scaled down the extent to which lvl 80 and higher pokemon take a long time to evolve. It takes way too much grinding to get legendaries from lvl 80 to lvl 100. Which is frustrating since most of the mons that I want to hyper train are legendaries from ultra space.

The key item exp share has grown on me since it makes EV training quick. But I think that should be given post-game and the held item exp. share should be made available in-game.