1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How strong do you think Professor Kukui in the anime is?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Fernsday, Jul 31, 2020.

?

How strong is Professor Kukui?

1. 8th Gym Leader Level

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Low Frontier Brain(Lucy, Greta and Tucker)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mid Frontier Brain(Spenser and Anabel)

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. High Frontier Brain(Brandon, Noland w/Articuno)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Low Elite Four(Malva, Aaron, Sidney, etc)

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. Mid Elite Four(Bertha, possibly Siebold, etc)

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. High Elite Four(Flint, Lucian, etc)

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  8. Champion

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. Other(Below 8th GL level, etc)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Fernsday

Fernsday Well-Known Member

I know there has been a similar thread to this months ago but I thought I’d have a poll and see what y’all vote, I’m curious about what you all think.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  2. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Definitely low elite four

Ubermuk likes this.
  3. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

E4 level at most. I was gonna say champion level but then I remembered that Ash beat him and there's no way that Ash's SuMo team was at the same level as a major champion like Lance or Cynthia or even Diantha.

4. RafaSceptile

RafaSceptile Well-Known Member

Probably Low Elite Four, such as his in-game counterpart

SerenaRulez likes this.
  5. SerenaRulez

SerenaRulez Well-Known Member

Low Elite Four level is my best guess for Professor Kukui but can I ask why Sidney is placed in that rank in the poll even though we have not seen him in the show yet?

Applecorp and mehmeh1 like this.
  6. Ignition

Ignition Free

Low/Mid E4

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I think that generally speaking Kukui-hakase was on the level of the Four Heavenly Kings, although I don't distinguish between tiers of the Four Heavenly Kings since to me they're all pretty much the same.

8. TheCrazyMaster

TheCrazyMaster Well-Known Member

Aren't the Frontier Brains considered equals with E4s, or at least on Agatha level (I've only ever seen the dub for the episode where that was mentioned)?

Applecorp likes this.
  9. Fernsday

Nah Agatha simply stated that they were stronger than Gym Leaders, doesn’t equate to E4. Only Brandon could get through E4 non aces and potentially hold his own against a low-mid E4 ace(Via Regis), he’s getting stomped by Flint tho. Even then you got your stronger than usual 8th Gym Leaders like Wulfric and Volkner who are easily mid-high FB(In case of high FB, excluding Regis) but they don’t necessarily stack up to E4

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Leonhart likes this.
  10. Fernsday

Games don’t equate to anime but I might as well have put him in, he obvs doesn’t compare to the likes of Drake and most likely Glacia

Applecorp likes this.
  11. Fernsday

I wouldn’t say so. As an example, Flint did a significantly better job than Aaron against Cynthia with Flint even beating two of her Pokémon and making Garchomp struggle with just his Infernape, Siebold defeated Alain and while Alain did get stronger I doubt he’d currently defeat Siebold as easily as he did Malva especially given that he dealt with 9 other Megas prior, Lance is obvs stronger than the other Kanto Elite Four members(Eventually becoming Champion), etc

LilligantLewis likes this.
  12. Applecorp

Applecorp Well-Known Member

Prof. Kukui is like mid-E4 to low Champion tier. I bet he could tie with or beat Diantha since she was clearly the weakest Champion in the show.

Ubermuk and RafaSceptile like this.
  13. TheCrazyMaster

TheCrazyMaster Well-Known Member

But Scott himself did say that they were. But then again I'm basing this off of the dub, so maybe they said something different?

14. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

In which episode? And are we sure that he wasn't just building up their reputation in order to make 'em seem stronger than they really were to get Ash and us fans more excited?

15. RafaSceptile

RafaSceptile Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that really happened but it was probably on the Agatha's episode (the first one after the Hoenn League)

Leonhart likes this.
  16. Fernsday

Scott did compare them to Agatha but the only one who really fits that claim would be Brandon and his Regis+they don’t scale to E4. Flint beat Pikachu relatively easily despite Pikachu beating Regice. FBs are basically in between Gym Leaders and E4 with Brandon probs holding his own against low E4. With low FBs like Greta, Tucker and Lucy, not even close to E4 level as Donphan was the fall guy to Conway who’s obvs not E4 level despite beating one of Lucy’s mons in the past, with mid FBs I mean, Corphish and Tauros ain’t E4 level, let alone Heracross or Swellow who both were one shotted by Tobias who’s potentially around low-mid E4

17. nickdt

nickdt Well-Known Member

Kukui is high FB low E4. I think he is somewhere in between them, since aside from Incineroar, Empoleon (Who went toe-to-toe with Pikachu) and Braviary, the others don't seem that good.

Applecorp likes this.
  18. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Hello again."

Definitely 8th gym leader rank.

CMButch likes this.
  19. 09Murphym

09Murphym Well-Known Member

Possibly on the same level as a champion or battle facility leader. He was even able to command the four Tapu's during his battle with ash.

20. Blastmaster

Blastmaster Well-Known Member

Incineroar seemed to be written a lot like an E4 Pokemon in general, going completely undefeated until the very last battle and easily defeating pretty much every previous opponent. It's also pretty appropriate narratively, serving as a "lower-scale Champion" accomplishment for Ash so they could segue into him battling a full-fledged Champion in Journeys. The rest of his Pokemon are probably around top FB/low E4 level since they all scale roughly to the Counter-Countering Lycanroc but below Melmetal.