• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How strong is Prof. Kukui?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Can't we agree Incineroar alone would defeat Ash-Greninja because of BLASTO BURN?
Honestly, when I saw that move, I though that was Flamethrower maybe even Overheat. BB on the ground is much better and unique than Flamethrower-like attack.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Kukui is probably around frontier brain level in my opinion considering how strong his Incineroar is.Also the kahunas are around gym leader strength and if Kukui did the island trial that means he beat them therefore being stronger than gym leader strength.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If the Kahunas are Gym Leader level, Ash shouldn't be dominating them by having standing members by the end of the match. He bodied Hala, would have screwed Olivia without effort hadn't his rocky puppy lash out due to his nature, said rocky puppy solo'd 3 of Nanu's team (with a recovery item before the last one, but still), and owned Hapu because she had the bright idea of fighting right next to a huge body of water (like, that only shows how stupid she is).

If anything, Kukui is barely Gym Leader level...but certainly not Roxie Gym Leader level. Ha ha.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
If the Kahunas are Gym Leader level, Ash shouldn't be dominating them by having standing members by the end of the match. He bodied Hala, would have screwed Olivia without effort hadn't his rocky puppy lash out due to his nature, said rocky puppy solo'd 3 of Nanu's team (with a recovery item before the last one, but still), and owned Hapu because she had the bright idea of fighting right next to a huge body of water (like, that only shows how stupid she is).

If anything, Kukui is barely Gym Leader level...but certainly not Roxie Gym Leader level. Ha ha.

Hapu fought near the water because it was the traditional site for the grand trials.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Then the ancestors who decided on that place aren't the brightest bunch if their Kahuna is into Ground-types. Like, why not place the Grass-type Kahuna at the top of a volcano?

I think they do it purposely at a place where the Kahunas are at a terrain disadvantage so that they can learn to cover that weakness.Or to see if the challenger is smart enough to use the water to their advantage like Ash did.

ChampioN-Trainer-BriaN

Definitely not an elite four. Elite four and champions are wayy strong. I would say that he is strong enough to win the league after putting some effort. But weak enough to be beaten by first ever elite he battles.

Thumbs2

Didn't Hapu beat Ash the first time using a Pokemon she didn't use in the rematch?

CMButch

Neither of 4 Kahunas are stronger than Wulfric or Volkner(maybe some other gym leaders, but those gym leaders like Wulfric are like mid FB level). I'd put Kahunas at low-mid gym leader level. Kukui's 4 Pokemon are at best high gym levels so stronger than Kahuna's) and Incienroar is like low/mid FB level).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Didn't Hapu beat Ash the first time using a Pokemon she didn't use in the rematch?
Yeah, but the only extra advantage Golurk had was being immune to Quick Attack, and Mudsdale basically became immune to both of Pikachu's physical moves through Stamina.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I put Kukui-hakase at Frontier Brain level or slightly higher at most. I would've said that he's on-par with the Four Heavenly Kings, but seeing as how Satoshi managed to beat him, I'm starting to think that Kukui-hakase wasn't quite that strong.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I put Kukui-hakase at Frontier Brain level or slightly higher at most. I would've said that he's on-par with the Four Heavenly Kings, but seeing as how Satoshi managed to beat him, I'm starting to think that Kukui-hakase wasn't quite that strong.

"The funny thing is, if they showed Kukui battling and beating any of the E4 right now, half of the comments calling them way stronger than Kukui here would flip to calling the E4 member weak just so they could continue denying Ash's strength."

-Paraphrase of myself on the second page of this thread

CMButch

I'll say that probably around Aaron or Bertha, but would still lose to say, Flint, Siebold, or Caitlin.
Why Bertha? Aaron I understand since he kinda IIRC battled TR and lost.. but that was outlier..obviously. I mean he later battled Cynthia even though he lost, he still challenged her. That would mean TR would do better than him against Cynthia and that's a no. So, actual Aaron > Kukui and current Aaron with Mega >>>>> Kukui. Why Bertha?

Fernsday

I know there has been a similar thread to this months ago but I thought I’d have a poll and see what y’all vote, I’m curious about what you all think.