• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

how to defeat mewtwo?

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
just use a master ball.

if not just hold on battling it. chansey is a great stall for this so does snorlax and lapras (because of sing). if you want recover pokemon, mr. mime and starmie. status infliction will help greatly such as sleep and paralyzed. best not to use burn or poison and even confusion because there is a chance it will just faint on its own.

too bad there is no steel and dark type in gen 1. hope this helps

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I'd try to capture it.

Agreed, defeating it would be such a waste. I would stall with Chansey as stated above and sleep it when necessary. Or use a master ball if you still have it.

hawkmbl

Curious
Use a master ball if you have it, if not then put it to sleep with chansey and others and get it's HP low. It's hard to catch if you don't.

joshuaelite

Alakazam is probably one of the best pokemon you can use to wall it, since it's more common than Chansey and whatnot. Just make sure all your pokemon are around lv 60 and you should be fine when battling it. If you're not completely against using the master ball and still have it, this is probably the best place in the game to use it.

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
There's no need to defeat it, just catch it.
Throw a Master Ball and you're done! :)

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Presuming we're talking in the context of a full battle, your three big guns are Chansey, Exeggutor, and Snorlax.

Chansey: Paralyzes Mewtwo with Thunder Wave, Seismic Tosses for damage, and Softboileds off hits. Light Screen could render it an unwinnable battle unless Mewtwo gets two or three Amnesias under his belt.

Eggy: If he doesn't have Blizzard, Mewtwo can only stall, which Eggy can fight back with Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, or Psychic. I've run leech seed before just for that situation.

Snorlax: Sponges Mewtwo's special attacks reasonably well, and hits back hard. If Body Slam paralyzes, he's gone.

Last edited:

jm-9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Gen 1, don't you "miss" the pokemon with pokeballs (incl. great and ultra) if legendaries are not asleep? (except for Mew)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Gen 1, don't you "miss" the pokemon with pokeballs (incl. great and ultra) if legendaries are not asleep? (except for Mew)

I think it works with all Pokémon, but I'm sure that's why we have the catch rate. The lower the catch rate is, the more likely it is to miss.

Anyway, defeating Mewtwo is a task indeed. I don't know why you'd want to defeat him, that's why we have the Master Ball, because it's that difficult to catch him. But if anything, just have your Pokémon be on high levels, and have some revives and potions handy. It even helps if you put Mewtwo to sleep, poison, paralyze, burn, or freeze him.

The only weakness Psychics have in the first generation is the Bug-type, so do have a (high-level) Bug Pokémon on hand with Bug-type attacks. I can't recall what attacks Mewtwo has upon battling him, but for the most part, his attacks won't be as effective as they will be on the others. It's just that freakin' Recover you have to really worry about.

But what do I know? The others seem to have the answers, and I always caught him.

tehpwner22

thanks guys, but I was actually wondering how to beat a mewtwo (i.e my friends level 100 mewtwo) in multipler, sorry for not specifying, but i still need an answer!

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Hate to toot my own horn, but unless Razor Leaf shows up with more details, mine is the best answer you're going to get, I think; precisely the reason you're asking this question is because most Pokemon can barely touch the thing.

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
I agree with Pinsirius; they are some of your best bets.
1.Use CHansey to paralyze it.
2.Try to weaken it with general switching and PP wasting.
3.Go to Tauros, and KO with Body Slam and Hyper Beam.

If you're asking for 1 Pkemon to beat mewtwo 1 on 1, I'm afraid the odds are very low for that. Beating Mewtwo needs smart switching and teamwork, or some heavy overlevelling(if ingame).

Cetra

Ash got 26 years, Liko won't, recency bias fanboys
The only weakness Psychics have in the first generation is the Bug-type, so do have a (high-level) Bug Pokémon on hand with Bug-type attacks. I can't recall what attacks Mewtwo has upon battling him, but for the most part, his attacks won't be as effective as they will be on the others. It's just that freakin' Recover you have to really worry about.

But what do I know? The others seem to have the answers, and I always caught him.

He has Psychic, Swift, Barrier and Recover and Barrier and Recover are no bad guard abilities while he beats your Pokémon with Psychic. And there are no really dangerous bug type attacks in the first generation. Mega Horn was introduced in Gold and Silver and Bug Buzz in the fourth, I guess. I would recommend the use of Night Shade or Seismic Toss - otherwise strong Pokémon with their stab moves. Status ailments are useful, of course.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Hate to toot my own horn, but unless Razor Leaf shows up with more details, mine is the best answer you're going to get, I think; precisely the reason you're asking this question is because most Pokemon can barely touch the thing.

Consider your horn tooted.

Asuming your in game, then defeating Mewtwo isn't that big a task provided you are at a similar level. Something faster and with a paralysing move (Alakazam or Electrode for example) can knock it down quickly, and in the latter case, take out a chunk of HP with an Explosion too. Alakazam on the other hand can resist Psychic and take it out with several Seismic Toss'.

If you're facing one in a proper battle, then you're going to be relying on Snorlax, Chansey and a bulk of other Psychic types. Freezing is uncommon but a godsend.

And why wouldn't you defeat Mewtwo? Why the assumption that everyone wants to catch it? I made no effort to catch any of the legendary pokemon in Red. I had no reason to use them, and certainly no reason to use Mewtwo, at the END of the game. The only reason I see for not defeating it, is that Mewtwo gives crap EXP.

Snorlax will survive three of any move and can Selfdestruct for a OHKO, or Body Slam it until it stops moving. Besides that try Toxic Chansey and hope it doesn't Rest.

DasBoot

Don't defeat it, just lower it's health get it with a status problem, and use an Ultra Ball. If you don't want to do that, use the Master Ball if you haven't already.