• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How To Make My Own Manga When I Can't Even Draw

MyAnimeWorld

Hello fellow manga fans. As much as I love manga, the drawing part just doesn't return the favor. I mean I don't have that skill though I love reading manga a lot. I've tried browsing and checking out stuffs trying to somehow find ways to help out with my drawing frustrations. And then I read this article...

Can’t draw your own manga? No worries!

Shueisha’s online store Mekke! has found a way on how to easily create a simple manga. All you need to do is creatively position your food on their One Piece-themed dining plates.

These plates come in two designs. Both dishes have the sound effect “Don” (ドン), which Eiichiro Oda frequently uses in the One Piece manga.

You should be able to check out the full article at http://sgcafe.com/2013/03/create-manga-scenes-food-piece-themed-plates/.

What are your thoughts about it? You think it's a good alternative?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's more for comedic purposes, I wouldn't use that alternative as back-up.

And honestly, you don't have to draw to make a manga. You can be the writer of the story, and you just hire someone else to draw it for you. It's not as uncommon as you think, it happens a lot in the graphic novel industry. The one manga with a separate writer and illustrator that personally comes to mind is Tokyo Mew Mew (unless you want to also include the When They Cry series), and I suppose you can also count CLAMP, since CLAMP consists of four women, and I'm sure they've taken turns with every story. There's more examples out there, those are just the two I can think of right now.

absolalone111

As Kutie Pie said, there are plenty of times when a manga has had an author and an artist. Another example is .Hack //Legend of the twilight which was written by Tatsuya Hamazaki whereas the art was done by Re Izumi. Personally, I find drawing really hard, but story writing a lot easier, I find it hard to understand how someone could do both, so an advantage of having someone else do the art is that you can spend more time concentrating on the story, although the downsides include not being able to make the characters look exactly how you like them.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
so an advantage of having someone else do the art is that you can spend more time concentrating on the story, although the downsides include not being able to make the characters look exactly how you like them.

Agreed on the advantage, but I don't think the downside is completely accurate. Just because you may not have an ability to draw even a stick figure doesn't mean you can't put into words how you want the character to look like. A good artist will be able to recreate it for you down to the last detail without fail when they're given the description. And even then, since you're working together as a team (and possibly have a contract), you both have to come together to share thoughts, ideas, and rough drafts. The artist understands that the story is not theirs, so unless you gave them the leisure of drawing the characters however they envisioned it, they will go up to you and ask "Is this how you want it?" until you give the final say.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Write, get someone to draw for you. Also, no, you're not going to make a Japanese comicbook because you're not Japanese. A Japanese inspired comic, absolutely possible. The comicbook industry is a tough one to make a living off of since it pays little and takes so much time.

My last words of advice are read this, get a strong script down on paper, refine it constantly, find an artist who you get along very well with that you understand and they understand you, and good luck. Also remember, it's "comicbook" not "comic book."

Last edited:
Don't give up necessarily. If it is something that endlessly fascinates you, keep trying to develop it. I guess you could even do a small portion of the art if any.

Thesp

Actor
Ether find a an artist who's willing to work with you, or alternatively start by just producing some short stories/ fan inspired stories and post them around, get a little coverage, but inform people that you have an interest in ether turning these into a Manga or creating a separate story line into a Manga and request for artists to help.

Good Luck.