• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How to Save a Life

harryheart

Chapter 8

I'm getting there with my reading :D and I'm loving every bit of the plot! It's just getting continuously deeper which is most certainly amazing! The plot really seems to have taken shape now and I think you've got into the flow of writing for it. I love what you're doing and I'm excited for more of the unraveling plot to become apparent. It's full of some great ideas, congrats!

The characters are also developing well, I like how you feed us with little bits of information as time goes on so we can piece bits together just like the other characters can. It's quite nice to think of yourself as being in the mix of the story so I'm very intrigued by what we might learn in the few chapters to come! Colin is definitely one to look out for I think! History with Katharine... hmmm I wonder lol!

The writing of it too is getting steadily better. I do like the way you write, having description mixed in with narration and speech etc. It works and blends together nicely and I love the flow it creates. Spelling seems good, don't generally notice mistakes there but I don't think you write many anyway. Grammar wise, there were only one or two things that were an issue but I think it's something we all do:

so in some instances you wrote:

It made her totally flustered to think about it

where the
should really be the present participle, thinking.

There were other instances where 'of' was used where 'for' would've sounded better and vice versa with the occasion of other words fitting in. It can be quite hard to write that, which again is something I think quite a few writers make, I guess continua editing can help but we can't really do that here, but I thought I'd point it out nevertheless.

Anyway, a great chapter and I look forward to reading more!

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Hmm...interesting grammatical errors there. I'll take a look at that.

Yes, Colin is an interesting character. He's kind of the person through which we'll learn much more about Katharine's ancient past in future chapters. :)

I'm a third of the way through the next chapter, but Hell Week is coming up next week, so I don't think it will be up until quite possibly the first week in May, when I get out of school.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Since I’m introducing a ton of new characters in this chapter, I’ve decided to, for the next few chapters, have a Character of the Chapter instead of a Fact of the Chapter, just to give y’all some background on the Legendary Team members you may not have if you haven’t read Angels and Demons.

Character of the Chapter:
Dr. Robert Langdon
Canon: Angels and Demons
Nationality: American-Aquapolian
Occupation: Professor of Aquapolian and human religious symbology at Harvard
Type: Fire
Harnessed Power at the Final Fight of Angels and Demons: Land
Short Bio: Langdon was called to the Vatican after a strange symbol was branded on the murdered Cardinal Reed’s chest. There, he embarked on a mission to save the six kidnapped cardinals, aided by Katharine and, later, Rowan. Agnostic by faith, Langdon stands out amongst the other Aquapolians in the group, especially when it comes to using his own powers. By the end of Angels and Demons, he makes up his mind to fully convert to Christianity after witnessing the events that take place in the Vatican. After that summer, he returned to Harvard and resumed teaching his classes with a newfound zeal.

10. A Reunion

Katharine and Patrick gaped at the sight before them. All of the Legendary Team members stood in anticipation, waiting for either McKenna to say something. Finally, after at least five minutes of silence, one of the members decided he was too impatient for them to make up their minds about what they would say.

“What? You didn’t think we were going to miss this, were you?” House spoke up, rolling his eyes.

“It’s not every day that two of our own become Elite Four members,” Nichols added.

Riley looked confused. “We’ve only been a team for half a year. We can’t say that already, can we?”

“Still, it’s a great achievement,” Langdon said, talking over Riley. “Congratulations.”

Wallace bowed, excusing himself from the room. “I’ll leave y’all to your reunion. I have a few things I need to address before tonight. Just make sure that you get the two of them to the Hall of Fame in time.” With that, he left the room. Then, a few moments later, he returned as if he had forgotten something. “I almost forgot. All of you got the invitations to the ball tonight, right?” He shot a look at Cyrus, who nodded. “Good. See you later.” That time, he left for good.

It was good to see the Legendary Team again. Everyone was there. The Aquapolian religion professor from Harvard, Robert Langdon. Her old high school professor and current Aquapolian physics professor at Yale, David Rowan. Langdon’s old college roommate from Harvard who had been in the news twice: The first time for stealing the Declaration of Independence and the second time for kidnapping the president, Ben Gates. The cousin of one of Eric and Katharine’s old high school friends, a computer genius, Riley Poole. Two detective partners from New York City Major Case’s Shadow Forces Squad, Zach Nichols and Serena Stevens. An archaeology professor at Harvard, Indy Jones. Finally, there was the diagnostician and resident doctor of the group, Gregory House.

After Katharine, Patrick, and Eric slid into seats around the table, Rowan, who had made the list of Legendary Team members originally and had called them together, spoke up. “Well, it’s obvious that many things have changed for some of us since last summer.” He shot a look at Cyrus before continuing. “So we thought it would be good to sort of all share what we’ve been up to. Langdon, you can go first.”

Langdon was caught off guard for a moment before saying, “Well, I returned to teaching…still teaching Aquapolian religion. Not much has changed since last summer…at least the school and everyone else hasn’t changed. Something has just seemed…” He sighed. “…off.”

Everyone nodded in agreement. “It’s been hard returning to the classroom,” Indy agreed. “Especially since the plague of last summer. Working in a university in a human state…” He cut himself off, then decided to plunge ahead. “…is pretty awkward these days.”

“What’s been going on?” Eric asked, concerned.

“There are a lot of human states who are starting to distrust Aquapolis because of the plague,” Rowan explained. “Many believe that the government created the disease and released it itself.”

“That’s impossible!” Katharine snapped. “Why would we do that? Our government was weak as it was last summer. A transitioning Champion…after losing our last one…”

“Maybe they think that the government freaked out and didn’t want the human states to sense its weakness,” Langdon pointed out.

“With the peace treaties set up as they are, the rest of the human states will never risk attacking us,” Patrick pointed out.

Rowan frowned. “Unfortunately, many nations may take the plague as the sign of a chemical attack, a first strike made by Aquapolis that breaks the peace treaties from our side, thus giving them ample cause to start a war or form a counterstrike.”

“Which would still be incredibly stupid,” Indy pointed out, pushing back the ever-present fedora nestled on his graying head. “Many people have come to doubt the legendary power of the Aquapolian military, but one look at the history books, and any idiot can tell that it would be suicide to attack the country. Hopefully, they won’t try to gang up on us all at once and end up wiping out several entire countries worth of soldiers.”

The archaeology professor’s words rang into dead silence as everyone gathered around the table processed what he had said in a somber mood. No one wanted to say what the general conclusion was: that it was entirely possible that many human states, turned by extremist groups or their own government, would try to counterattack Aquapolis for something that another extremist group not even connected to Ever Grande did. And that…due to ancient law…the Aquapolian military had divine permission to simply wipe out whatever country tried to do so.

“Anyway, all we can do now is try to build up relations with our top three allies and make sure that we drive home the point that we were not involved in any of this,” Katharine pointed out.

“Except the part where we totally stopped the plague from killing every human out there,” House pointed out.

Katharine shot him a glare. “And that is classified information that Wallace and I will decide to give out…eventually. We need to make sure we plan a good time to do so…”

“Tonight would be a good time…” Langdon mused. “New beginnings and whatnot. Try to patch up old hurt feelings.”

“He’s got a point,” Patrick agreed.

“I’ll talk to Wallace about that, then,” Katharine said. “In the meantime, none of us can speak to anyone else about what happened last summer. Understood?” Everyone nodded.

“So, I’m curious…how did you land this job again?” House asked, looking straight at Cyrus.

The former Aquapolian physicist blanched a bit before replying, “I inherited it. Probably some old scientist that I once knew or something…” He trailed off, avoiding his friends’ eyes as he waited for the conversation to drift in another direction. Rowan, who had been Cyrus’ mentor during his undergraduate and doctoral years shot him a worried look. Katharine wondered if Rowan and Cyrus had kept in touch during the latter’s transition from science to economics.

Seeing that Cyrus was reluctant to speak on the subject, most of the members of the Legendary Team decided to drop it. House was about to open his mouth again to ask the scientist some questions, but was met with a stern glare from Indy, who was, for the first time in months, awake for a meeting. He had a habit of drifting off during department meetings at Harvard, often having to be shaken awake by Langdon, who always sat beside him. For the two veterans of the fight at the Vatican, Harvard had become almost a sea of non-consequential parties and papers, with Langdon and Indy the sole alive passengers set adrift on a wooden board.

As the conversation drifted on to other matters, it was soon discovered that the professors were not the only ones feeling the emotional after-effects of the previous summer’s events. Ben had tried and tried again to find government jobs around D.C., but was barred from each one, especially those centered around the National Mall. He had a few friends at the F.B.I., including one of the officers who had pursued him during his flight with the Declaration of Independence some years previously. That friend had secured him a low-ranking job, but office politics had won out in the end from people above and Ben soon found himself jobless. Now he was helping his girlfriend who worked at the National Archives with mundane day-to-day tasks just to keep himself from going insane.

Riley had secured a new job for the Devon Corporation in Hoenn, the company who made PokeNavs and different kinds of Poke Balls to be sold to trainers. Instead of staying in Aquapolis as he wanted to, he was assigned to work in the New York branch of the company, helping to design new applications for the device. He had been happy with the job for a few weeks, but quickly grew disinterested. He had wanted to live in Hoenn for years…training Pokemon in his spare time. Now, with international laws prohibiting trainers from releasing their Pokemon within the borders of human states, he wouldn’t get that chance.

Rowan, like Langdon, had returned to his job at Yale, only to find that most of his projects had been frozen by the university, which forced him into a disinteresting and money-wasting project with the chemistry department which he absolutely hated. At least, for a time, Cyrus was there to keep him company…until the younger Aquapolian physicist up and announced one day that he had become the new CEO of Akagi International. Now, Rowan was contemplating quitting…but couldn’t because he still needed to be at Yale to keep Cyrus’ Aquapolian equation project open and safe from those who wanted to steal it.

Nichols and Stevens, of course, had the most exciting jobs of the group as detectives at the Major Case Shadow Forces Division of the New York police department. Indy was still teaching at Harvard. House was still running his Aquapolian diagnostics center in New Jersey.

“Hey, guys, hate to be a mood killer but it’s almost time for us to get the Vice-Champion and Aquapolian Cardinal to the Hall of Fame,” Riley spoke up.

“He’s right,” Rowan conceded.

“We’ll see you later,” Langdon added.

Katharine smiled as she and Patrick rose from the table, saying their final good-byes before they left for the Hall of Fame.

------------

“Do you have a sweater to go with this?” Katharine asked as she spun around in front of the full-length mirror that had been set up in her office. Behind her, appraising the new Vice-Champion from head to toe was a woman in her early twenties, only a few years older than Katharine herself. She was the official stylist for the Vice-Champion on such occasions. While the men in the Elite Four had no need for one, whenever a woman joined the group, she was assigned a stylist from the heights of Aquapolian fashion. It was THE job to have in any fashion industry anywhere, even topping those who dressed royalty, though, in Aquapolis, the Elite Four WAS royalty.

Her stylist, Courtney, had auburn hair that fell almost to her waist and dark brown eyes. Now, her eyes were light in approval, making Katharine twirl around again. She had chosen a blue strapless dress with white swirls wrapping around Katharine’s waist and falling to her feet. The blue was as close to Aquapolian crystal blue as material could get, bringing out Katharine’s eyes and the cross pendent around her neck.

Courtney laughed at her question. “That was cute, honey. I’m not going to spoil this dress with a sweater. Since you don’t have a date, guys will be all over you…” She frowned. “Well, those who aren’t scared by power, at least…”

Katharine shook her head before Courtney descended into one of her girly rambles about guys and dresses and whatnots. “You don’t think this dress is too…revealing?” She asked, though as soon as the question left her lips, she cursed herself for its stupidity. She was talking to a fashion designer. Nothing is too revealing to them.

“Princesses and queens all around the world wear dresses more revealing than this,” Courtney said, her eyebrows knotted in confusion.

“Princesses and queens don’t have Catholic priests for fathers,” Katharine muttered under her breath, wrapping her arms around herself.

“Yeah, everyone is talking about that,” Courtney said nonchalantly as she fiddled with Katharine’s hair a bit more. “Cardinal McKenna adopted you, right?” Finally satisfied that the Vice-Champion’s long blonde hair was fixed to her liking, Courtney stepped back and fixed her with her curious brown gaze.

The truth was no longer a secret, but Katharine was wary about telling her stylist. Aquapolians designers were probably the best gossipers on the planet. Once the public knew, questions would be raised to how valid his position in the church was…and then Katharine would have to explain her true legendary identity and she definitely didn’t need all that attention.

Unfortunately, Courtney was too intuitive for her own good and saw the shadow of a doubt cross over Katharine’s face. The stylist stepped back a bit, shocked by her realization. Since she probably heard all sorts of gossip about the higher ups in Ever Grande, this secret must have been pretty big to surprise even her. “Wait…so…he’s not your adopted father? He’s your…” She looked around, as if she didn’t want anyone else to hear. A slight spark of hope lifted in Katharine. Perhaps she wouldn’t tell anyone. “He’s your actual father?” Courtney whispered, her eyes now wide.

“Yes,” Katharine almost growled. “And that is a state secret so…”

“Oh…oh, no,” Courtney shook her auburn head so fast, it flickered like fire from the overhead lights. “Believe me, I won’t tell a soul. I thought there was something strange…”

“Like what?” Katharine’s heart pounded in her ears. Was it that obvious she and Patrick were biologically related?

“There are ways you walk, ways you talk…and even though you have different colored eyes, I see the same expressions in both of them sometimes. You both carry yourselves the same way as well…” Courtney paused. “Almost as if you know you have so much of the world on your shoulders…”

There was a loud knock at the door, startling Courtney out of her deep thoughts. She gave Katharine a huge smile. “Go out there and dazzle the world, Miss Vice-Champion.”

Katharine shot her a hesitant smile as her father stepped through the door. “I will.” As she left, she glanced over at Courtney, realizing that the stylist was studying them both intently, as if the two McKennas had more secrets she could uncover by just observing them.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Dr. David Rowan
Canon: Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
Nationality: Aquapolian
Type: Psychic
Harnessed Power at the Final Fight of Angels and Demons: Space
Short Bio: Cyrus’ mentor and one of Katharine’s high school professors, Rowan was in constant contact with Patrick for years to keep him informed of how Katharine was while she was away in Aquapolis attending school. He was part of the original group of priests and Aquapolians (a sort of prequel to the Legendary Team) who kept the secret of the identity of Katharine’s true parents and kept her safe as she grew up in the Catholic Church. After she graduated from high school, Rowan returned to Yale (though his true alma mater was the Aquapolian Institute of Technology) to assist Cyrus in his project to create the human and Aquapolian equations. Through contacts and friendships over the years, Rowan created a list of individuals that would be able to band together and help the Chosen One in times of darkness. While Langdon searched for the six missing cardinals, Patrick called Rowan in to help. After the first initial strike, Rowan called together what would become the Legendary Team, a group of twelve individuals who would stand up to the Shadow Forces and save the Vatican. Little did he know that the Legendary Team may turn out to be more than just a ragtag group of Aquapolians…

11: A Meeting of World Leaders

Katharine twisted her hands over and over again in her lap, staring out the window as Ever Grande flew past.

“Don’t be nervous, Katharine. The other heads of state will love you,” Wallace assured her from his seat across from her.

“Yeah, that’s not what I’m worried about.”

Drake frowned, glancing over to where Patrick also stared out of the window, seemingly much more nervous than his daughter. “I’m guessing you’re most anxious about divulging this secret…”

Patrick sighed. “Yes. We don’t know what consequences it will bring down. It’s not some small secret…it’s…”

“The biggest secret in history,” Wallace finished for him. “And we need to make sure that it does not leave the room with the other heads. Our unveiling of this secret to them will be the ultimate peace offering and will allow them to prepare for future attacks should the Shadow Forces rise up again.”

Katharine nodded as their vehicle pulled to a stop outside of the huge mansion reserved for balls and receptions such as this. Wallace exited the car first, helping Katharine out as Patrick and Drake followed them into a side door that led to one of the back rooms of the house. The room was already filled with about six or seven people, all of them gathered into groups and chattering. Several security personnel lined the room, keeping an eye on all of the people inside. All four were let in without a word.

“Ah, Champion Sootopolis!” A man in his early fifties strode forward, his brown eyes gleaming. He held out a hand for Wallace to shake. “A pleasure for us to finally meet.”

“The pleasure is all mine, President Roberts,” Wallace replied, shaking the man’s hand. “May I introduce my Elite Four. First, our new Aquapolian Cardinal, Father Patrick McKenna.” Patrick and Roberts shook hands, a flash of recognition burning in the president’s eyes before he turned back to Wallace. “My Elite Elder, Drake Blackthorn.” The two older men shook hands and smiled at each other, as if they were already acquaintances. “And, finally, my Vice-Champion, Katharine McKenna.” Katharine could see the surprise in Roberts’ eyes at her last name as they shook hands.

“So the mystery Vice-Champion is finally revealed!” Roberts laughed. “I wondered why you look so familiar. You wouldn’t happen to be the same Katharine McKenna who broke the eleven conference title record last year, would you?”

She blushed. “Yes, sir, that was me.”

“Excellent. From your battles, it is clear to me that you will make an excellent Vice-Champion. Clearheaded, intelligent, and powerful.”

Katharine blushed again at the praise, but felt a rush of pleasure that this world leader thought her fully capable of ruling. “Thank you, sir.”

“Ah, and here are our advisors,” Wallace said, causing both Roberts and Katharine to turn and spot Walker and Colin nearby. “The advisor to the Vice-Champion, Dr. Alexander Walker, and advisor to the Aquapolian Cardinal, Colin Brown.”

Roberts shook hands with both of them, but leaned in close to whisper a question to Colin that Katharine barely picked up. “And which legendary are you, Mr. Brown?” He asked with a smile.

Colin smiled back. “Cobalion, sir, but let’s keep that secret between you and me.”

Roberts smiled good-naturedly, his brown eyes shining with humor. From what Katharine had heard, the current President of the United States had been the second youngest president to be elected, right after John F. Kennedy. He was currently serving his second term and had been elected both into office and re-elected in landslide victories. Democrats grumbled about him, but even they had to admit that this confident Republican from the Deep South was born to lead.

Katharine turned away from Roberts, allowing Wallace to introduce her to his vice-president, Rick Kinnard. Kinnard was much older than Roberts, easily in his sixties with salt and pepper grey hair that made him look nothing more than a kindly grandfather. He spoke shortly with Katharine, giving her the impression that he wasn’t exactly thrilled with the close alliance between America and Aquapolis. This worried her. Roberts was strongly pro-Aquapolian, but what if, in addition to his Vice-President, his cabinet…his advisors…Congress…What if so many of them were re-thinking the alliance and turning away from their friend across the Pacific?

She pushed the thought to the back of her mind, smiling as her father engaged the current Japanese emperor, who was himself Japanese-Aquapolian. The entire unbroken line of Japanese emperors had been Japanese-Aquapolian, a symbol of the only other Aquapolian state in the world. While she knew that Patrick had to be nervous, he seemed to be calm while speaking to the emperor and his prime minister, both of which were extremely interested in hearing whatever the young Aquapolian Cardinal had to say.

“Now here’s the big one,” Wallace whispered suddenly as he took her arm and guided her over to meet the current Queen of England. Katharine tried to keep herself from trembling with nerves as she stepped carefully over to where the Queen stood conversing with Drake. Instead of Wallace introducing her this time, Drake took the honors, adding that she was his granddaughter. A look of pride and happiness flashed through his eyes as he spoke the words, making Katharine genuinely smile through her nerves.

The Queen gave Katharine an appraising look, as if she needed to study the young Vice-Champion for a few moments in order to form an opinion on her. Katharine tried to stand up as straight as she could, though her short stature already disadvantaged her in some way. Tall and imposing she was not. However, at least physically, she seemed to impress the Queen, because the older woman smiled warmly and asked her, “Haven’t I seen you on the conference circuit? You were the winner of the most recent SoulSilver Conference in Jhoto, I believe.”

Katharine was caught off guard by her question as Drake smiled, obviously expecting something to that effect to come out of the Queen’s mouth. Katharine focused and responded, “Yes, ma’am, I have been on the conference circuit for nearly ten years now. Though I’ve journeyed through Jhoto several times, I have to say that I enjoyed my journey for the SoulSilver Conference most of all.”

“And why would you say that?”

Katharine paused. The real reason behind her statement lay in forbidden territory…well, forbidden for another few minutes, at least. Finally, after a few moments of thought, she settled on a short truth. “I believe I spent more time enjoying the legends and traditions of the region itself instead of running from one gym to the other and missing everything as I did during my first Silver Conference.”

This seemed like a most acceptable answer. The Queen’s eyes lit up. “I have always wanted to return to Jhoto myself. It has been years since I’ve visited. It is the region most steeped in history and tradition…though I suspect because so many Japanese-Aquapolians moved there over the years.”

Sadly, Katharine was unable to continue their interesting conversation. Wallace called everyone’s attention, and seats were taken around the room hastily. Aquapolis, Japan, America, and England took different sections. She slid into a seat next to her father, casting a glance at him before returning her attention to Wallace. His emerald green eyes were shining with worry. Did he think revealing this secret was a bad idea?

Wallace cleared his throat. Though he was the youngest world leader in the room, he still cut an impressive figure. Every inch of him screamed of what a powerful Champion he would make. Though he had a laidback personality most of the time, he had been the perfect choice for this position. Katharine had no doubt in her mind of this fact. Every eye was on him as he started to speak.

“I thank you all for coming here this evening. Some of you have traveled great distances to celebrate the beginning of another chapter in Aquapolian history. This will be the first time in our country’s history that all four of our nation’s leaders will be completely new during an inauguration. And…for those of you who are not aware of the fact, we are also the youngest Elite Four in history. As we look towards the future, we must correct the mistakes of our past, which include the mistakes my predecessor made.”

Katharine could see several pairs of eyes glance over at Drake after this statement. Her grandfather’s face betrayed no emotion. His grey eyes stayed on Wallace’s face as the young Champion continued. Katharine felt a small spark of pity for him. He had been such a great national leader in the nineties…only to find great disappointment in his grandson during Lance’s reign as Champion. She made a silent vow to make up for all of Lance’s transgressions and to ensure that Drake would have at least one grandchild he was proud of.

As she formed this promise in her head, Wallace continued on. “To ensure that more mistakes are not made by our new administration, I want to impart to you all knowledge that I believe you should be aware of.” His eyes moved from Drake, his advisor, to Patrick…and finally to Katharine. She nodded slightly, urging him on as he took a deep breath and continued.

“I give my sincerest condolences to the people of each of your nations and those around the world who were affected by the plague last summer. It was a terrible, terrible tragedy that was stopped all too late in time to save so many lives. I believe that each of you has a right to know the true happenings behind this plague. Why it was unleashed. How it was unleashed…and, most importantly…by whom it was unleashed.”

Wallace took another deep breath and turned to Patrick. Katharine was surprised. She didn’t know that her father was going to speak…was going to tell all of these world leaders what had really happened at the Vatican the previous summer. And yet…he was the perfect person to do so. He had been there for it all and had played a key part in taking down the Shadow Commander. He would also be able to instill a sense of urgency in the human state leaders…that the Shadow Forces were not gone and that Ever Grande was on the right side.

While he wasn’t visibly shaking, Katharine could tell that her father was extremely nervous. This wasn’t anything like his speech in front of the entire conclave. That was made in front of priests…men who believed in the legends…who had seen a legendary fight right before them. Humans tended to be extremely skeptical of the existence of legendaries, tolerating talk of them in order to avoid upsetting Aquapolians, who were fiercely connected to the stories of the legendaries as part of their religion. Now, Patrick had to not only convince them of legendary events, but also of his being a legendary…and Katharine being the Chosen One.

As the new Aquapolian Cardinal spoke, Katharine glanced around the room, gauging the leaders’ reactions. Their eyes widened as Patrick told them about the Shadow Forces’ invasion of the Vatican and how the Legendary Team prevented them from taking it over. Finally, every eye in the room was on her as he told them that she was the Chosen One. As soon as he finished speaking, he traded places with Wallace. The young Champion looked around somberly at the people in the room. “I’m afraid that I have to ask you all to keep this among yourselves. No one outside of this room should know the truth of what happened last summer. At least not yet. The Shadow Forces are still at large, though their Shadow Commander is dead. We must act together to stop them from rising again.”

Once again, Katharine forced herself to sweep the room, her eyes searching each face. Some looked uneasy, as if they were afraid to come anywhere near the Shadow Forces. As if they would rather watch from a distance as this young Champion led a campaign against the very group that had wiped out so many of their citizens. The Queen’s face was unreadable. She had recently celebrated her fiftieth year as Queen of England. She knew how to control her emotions. And Katharine knew that she would do anything to prevent another catastrophe in England. The country had lost half of its inhabitants, including one of her grandsons. If anything, she would go up against the Shadow Forces as vengeance for his death.

The emperor of Japan, as leader of the only other Aquapolian state in the world, didn’t have to be convinced to join Wallace is stopping the forces of evil. He knew all too well how much damage the Shadow Forces could do, even to Aquapolians. One of his nephews had become a Shadow Follower around a decade previously, but that would not deter him from making the right choice to destroy the forces. He nodded at nearly every other sentence out of Wallace’s mouth. He had begrudgingly gone along with Lance’s policies, even one closing off Japan and Aquapolis’ connection for a year in protest until the Elite Four finally booted the wayward Champion out of office. He was now Wallace’s greatest supporter.

Finally, she turned her attention to President Roberts. He leaned forward in his seat, his eyes distant, as if his thoughts were elsewhere…possibly across the Pacific in his own country. As she studied him, she saw a look of turmoil fly across his face. The Legendary Team’s warnings earlier in the day caused a chill to run down her spine as she turned her attention back to Wallace, who quickly wrapped up his speech.

“And now, I welcome you once again to Aquapolis. May the second Inauguration Ball of the 21st Century begin.”

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
I see I managed to update within a month. Success!

Anyway, next month, I will be returning to school for probably one of my most busy semesters yet, which means after the next update, I may not get around to posting another chapter until October or even December. Which is why I beg you all for patience. This would also be the perfect time for you to catch up with Angels and Demons, perhaps peruse my other current fanfics found in my sig (Shadow Games especially), or perhaps catch up with my new Tumblr page found by clicking the image in my sig.

Ben Gates
Canon: National Treasure
Occupation: Does odd jobs around the National Mall for the Smithsonian Museum.
Type: Fire
Harnessed Power at the Final Fight of Angels and Demons: Sea
Short Bio: Ben comes from a long line of treasure-seekers who followed clues to the greatest treasure in history said to have been left by America’s founding fathers. A few years prior to Angels and Demons, Ben and a few friends stole the Declaration of Independence out of the National Archives and found the treasure. A year after this adventure concluded, Ben set out to find another treasure trove hidden by American Indians near Mt. Rushmore, kidnapping the president (our own Roberts, in fact) and discovering the lost city of gold, Cibola. Ben was called in by Rowan to help during the Vatican crisis because of his knowledge of ancient artifacts, which proved key when the Legendary Team found the six orbs of power under the streets of Rome. While he gets along with generally everyone on the team, Ben and Langdon have a rocky relationship after having lived together for four years while they were in school at Harvard. The two fire-types clashed over many issues at first, but seemed to smooth out over time. Between the Vatican crisis and our current story, Ben went to work for his girlfriend at the Smithsonian, helping to run the various museums at the National Mall, though he has been forbidden from every stepping foot in the National Archives again.

12: The Opal Stranger

A small voice in the back of her head needled her about keeping her composure around the world leaders, but as they stepped into the ballroom, Katharine couldn’t help but gape at the grandness of everything her eyes saw. The only significant remaining room of the great palace of the ancient Aquapolian kings, the ballroom was once the grand throne room until the Great War three thousand years prior. Afterward, the government changed from a monarchy to the Elite Four system and moved into a building that eventually became the Hall of Fame.

There was gold everywhere. On the ceilings, on the walls…but it wasn’t the only element that shone brightly. The floor mesmerized her as Wallace led her out into the middle of the room for the traditional Champion’s dance. If the Champion and Vice-Champion at the time of inauguration were different genders, they shared the first dance of the ball. However, if both were men or women, the Champion danced with his or her spouse or other loved one.

The music from the orchestra stationed in one corner started to play, and Katharine could feel all eyes rest on her as she and Wallace started to turn around the dance floor. He was a good foot taller than she was, so Katharine had been forced to wear high heels especially for this dance. It just wouldn’t do to have the Champion and Vice-Champion unbalanced for such an important event. At least…that was what her stylist had told her as she thrust the midnight blue heels into Katharine’s hands, rolling her eyes as the young Vice-Champion gave them a look of disgust.

For half of the dance, the marble floor enthralled her, partly so that she didn’t have to look at the faces that surrounded the dance floor and partly because of the purely marvelous sight of the floor itself. The marble had been interlaced millennia ago with the stones and gems that symbolized the six powers. Ruby veins, sapphire rivers, crystal creeks, diamond rushes, pearl seas, and opal deltas swam through the marble, spinning into the middle of the floor where six circles of pure stones and gems spun around an image of an Aquapolian crystal blue cross.

“To think that you were one of the first people to see this floor.”

Wallace’s statement caught her completely off guard, both in essence and by the very person who spoke it. While he could be contemplative at times, Wallace rarely said such far-reaching things…such deep things. She had expected a statement like that to come out of Colin’s mouth, not the young Champion’s.

She responded with a nod. “I’m sure it was even more glorious in torchlight than it will ever be in electric light…and when the legendaries danced on it, it probably shined even brighter.”

“It’s like a little piece of the Cave of Origin for mortal eyes to see. You know…for years, since I was a kid, I’ve dreamed of seeing the inside of that temple…to see what the legendaries did. My grandfather used to tell me that my dreams meant that one day…I would be someone great…” His voice trailed off, and they danced in silence for a few moments. Wallace had been closer to his grandfather than his parents growing up, and Katharine could still remember the day at school when he received the news that his grandfather had passed away.

“He was right…” She whispered, giving him a comforting smile. “You’ll be the Champion who will pull Aquapolis from the ashes and unite us all after the destruction of the Great Plague.”

He gave her an amused look and laughed. “Coming from you, that sounds like a prophecy. I’ll take that, then.” In a more serious tone, he added, “Hopefully, we did the right thing tonight. I know Patrick was really nervous about sharing those secrets…Perhaps because he played such an important part in that battle.”

“House used to call him the ninja priest,” Katharine snorted. “He was supposed to be our secret weapon.”

“He turned out to be in the end, didn’t he?” Wallace asked as the music began to wind down.

“Yes…” Katharine muttered thoughtfully. “He did.” They broke away and other couples started to flood the dance floor as the music swelled again. She glanced over to where Patrick and Drake stood. She saw Colin say something to Patrick, who shook his head. Colin rolled his eyes and pushed him forward, crossing his arms. Drake seemed to agree with him, nodding his head as Patrick stepped forward.

“I’m going to go chat up the Legendary Team,” Wallace said with a smile as he disappeared into the crowd. Katharine watched him go until Patrick finally reached her, all nerves and anxiety.

“Colin said I should come and dance with you,” he muttered. He was completely uncomfortable in his formal clothes.

She smiled. “He’s right.”

------------

Wallace glanced back to where Katharine and Patrick were dancing before he turned his attention to the group of Legendary Team members in front of him. While they were mingling with the other guests, they always seemed to come back to the group before leaving to speak to someone else. He stepped up to Langdon first. The professor was watching the Vice-Champion and Aquapolian Cardinal dance with an amused look on his face.

“I’m surprised Colin didn’t have to do any more convincing to get him out here,” Wallace said.

Langdon nodded. “Patrick was made for churches, archives, and libraries. Surrounded by books. Protecting people from afar. He never was much for socializing with us at first, but I think he warmed up to the thought of the Legendary Team after a few weeks.”

“How long was the team together at the Vatican for?”

Langdon thought about that for a few moments. “About a month.”

Wallace’s eyes widened. “And y’all are this close?”

“Well, think about it.” A voice sounded from beside him, and he turned to see Rowan walking up to them. “After banding together and fighting the Shadow Forces…” He hesitated. “It’s an experience that pretty much no one else outside of the Legendary Team will ever receive.”
“A bonding experience,” Wallace said with a smile. Rowan’s smile in returned confirmed his statement as true. “It’s unfortunate that life tore the twelve of you back apart.”

“Real life was calling,” Cyrus said, a sad tone to his voice. “We had to return to it.” His eyes were on the dancers, his mind somewhere else.

“Well, let me know if any of you would like to make a permanent move to Ever Grande,” Wallace said, turning to walk away. “We might find extreme use in a Legendary Team one day.” As he departed from the group, Langdon and Rowan watched him walk over to another group of diplomats, worry in their eyes.

------------

“Am I late for anything interesting?”

Colin turned to see an Aquapolian man in his late thirties with sandy brown hair, short mustache, and gold eyes. He was wearing a tux, his Aquapolian crystal pendent tucked underneath his shirt, though anyone could see its faint blue glow through the white fabric.

“No, nothing yet.” Colin nodded over to where Katharine and Patrick were dancing. “It’s nice to see that they’re just as close in this life as they were in the past.”

The man nodded solemnly. “How long until this dance ends?”

Colin glanced over to the band, thinking. “Maybe a few more minutes…”

“Good,” the man cut him off, edging closer to the dance floor, his eyes not leaving the father/daughter pair.

------------

“A lot of political decisions will be made tonight,” Katharine said as she and Patrick stepped off of the dance floor. “I hope most of them will be in our favor…”

“Oh, I’m sure they will be…”

Katharine turned to see Colin’s acquaintance standing beside her. Before she could even say a word, he asked, “Would you care to dance?” She glanced over at Colin, who nodded.

“Of course,” she answered, taking his arm and stepping back out onto the floor.

“Who is that?” Patrick asked, a confused look on his face.

Colin’s eyes sparkled with mischief as he turned his head, an amused smile on his face. “An extremely important guest,” he said in a mysterious voice, his eyes now turned to the dance floor. After a few moments of silence, Patrick decided that his advisor would tell him nothing more about this strange man. Colin, he had determined days ago, was like most legendaries in that, at times, he spoke as if he were detailing a prophecy.

------------

After a few moments of dancing with the man, Katharine knew at once that something was different about him. The way he effortlessly glided across the marble…the light that shone from the rivers of gems when he danced over the floor…the fact that he had refused to wear his Aquapolian pendant outside of his shirt, but still wore it in a fashion that others could tell he was an Aquapolian…She could feel it in her soul that he was like her…like her father…like Colin…

“Who are you?” She whispered, something telling her that his identity was an ancient secret…that it was only to be spoken within walls such as this and the Cave of Origin.

He turned his gaze to her, and she realized her first impression of his eye color was incorrect. Not gold, but opal…Opal, the gem of…

“Giratina,” he said simply. “They call me the power of dimension, the king of the modern legendaries. I go by many names…my mortal name would garner just as many strange looks as my legendary name.” All this he said with an amused glint in his brilliant eyes. She felt as if he were talking to her without the time gap…the mortal gap that separated them. As if she were still Quamachi, the Chosen One, a legendary like himself.

She smiled, willing to play this game, willing to take herself back to the ancient time she had missed. Since Colin had become her father’s advisor, a strange yearning for her legendary life had hit her. Now was her chance to capture it before she returned to it yet again. “And what was your mortal name?”

“A shade more famous than your name at the present, but, after a few more years, a shade less, I’m afraid.” It was then that she realized what had been so strange about his voice to her. A British accent. That of a man who had been born in moderately high society. Legendaries spoke with the accents of the country they were born into during their mortal lives. Thus, her father, when he died, would continue speaking with an Irish accent even when he became Reshiram once again.

“Okay…” She tried to think of her British history. She stole a quick glance at the Queen, trying to get inspiration. The British monarch was chatting with Wallace, who had obviously told her something that had amused her to no end. “Do you know the game twenty questions?”
He smiled, his opal eyes reflecting the light of the torches that surrounded the marble floor, their fires reflecting off of sapphire rivers and ruby lava. “You would be surprised how much legendaries know of the modern world.”

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Riley Poole
Canon: National Treasure
Type: Electric
Short Bio: Riley helped Ben during many of his previously mentioned adventures. A tech genius, he and his cousin Max Petalburg have worked at several companies to create the PokeAll, a device for trainers and coordinators to use while on their journeys. During his time at the Vatican, he formed a communication and computer system to aid the Legendary Team in their fight against the Shadow Forces. After that summer, he took up a job at Devon Corporation in order to finish his device.

13: A Stranger and a Friend

Patrick leaned against the pillar, watching Katharine and Giratina dance, his mind lost in thought.

“Congratulations.”

He turned toward the voice that had snapped him out of his deep thought. A man with a military haircut and grey eyes stepped from the other side of the pillar. He wore no Aquapolian pendent and his accent was American.

“I’m sorry…” Patrick replied with a confused look on his face.

“On your inauguration as the new Aquapolian Cardinal,” the man explained. “Few people realize how important your job is in today’s world, especially after what happened last summer. We need the legendaries now more than ever with the Shadow Forces alive and well across the globe.”

Patrick nodded in agreement. “Hopefully we will be able to disband the rest of the forces now that their Shadow Commander is dead.”

“Well, their old Shadow Commander,” the man corrected. Patrick glanced over. “I’m sure they put a new commander in place of the old one.”

“Whoever it is, they will not be as deadly as the old one, I assure you.”

“I’m sure. You were acquainted with the old Shadow Commander, weren’t you?”

This caused Patrick to hesitate. “I…may I ask who you are, exactly?”

“My name is Frank Hummel. I’m a humble servant of the American government. We’re trying to dig ourselves out of the worst disaster in our nation’s history…but we can only get so far without knowing what exactly happened last summer.”

Patrick smiled. “I’m afraid that is a secret.”

“I make my career on secrets, Father. There is little in this world that happens outside of legendary affairs that I do not know.”

“The information you seek is inside legendary affairs.”

“Which means I’ll need an inside source.”

He smiled. “I’m sorry, but you’ll have to find yourself a legendary for that.” With that, he gave Hummel a polite nod and walked away, unnerved by their conversation.

------------

“King Arthur?”

“Not that far back.”

She frowned. “Were you a member of royalty?” From the way he carried himself, he could have been royalty. Then again, when you were a legendary, you were above any king or queen in the world. Perhaps he gained that personality after he died.

Giratina shook his head.

“What was your profession?”

He smiled. “I was a doctor.”

“Did you make any significant contributions to your field?”

“Not to my field exactly.”

“Which field did you make a signigicant contribution in?”

“Literature.”

“So you wrote novels?”

“No. Memoirs.”

“Of your interesting life?”
“No,” he said mysteriously, his eyes following a sea of ruby as they skimmed across the marble of the dance floor. “Memoirs of a close friend.” The opal embedded in the floor seemed to react especially to him, lighting up whenever his feet skimmed its surface.

Katharine thought about her British literature for a few moments. True, she had never spent much time thinking about the subject past high school, but she was an avid reader of classics and contemporary pieces. Her curiosity was getting the best of her, as was her impatience. For a few moments, she wanted to wow the power of dimension with her intelligence, but she decided she had plenty of time to do that later. “Okay…” She sighed, as if guessing his identity was a great burden. “Who are you?”

He smiled, glancing around them as if it were a great secret. “You’re not going to believe me.” He muttered, making Katharine even more intrigued.

“After everything I’ve been through in the past year…I don’t think I can be surprised easily anymore,” she said. After all, they were legendaries. Add to that the demon army trying to take over the Vatican, the revelation that her adopted father was her real father, and the formation of the Legendary Team, she had had quite an…interesting year.

“Okay,” he said. “You know of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, yes?”

Of course she had. He had written her favorite pieces of British literature. Reading his famous detective’s adventures had been a favorite pastime as a child, and in Rowan and Cyrus she saw many of Holmes’ attributes reflected…though Cyrus got most of the British man’s social awkwardness. Giratina couldn’t have been Doyle, though. He looked nothing like the famous portraits of the author she had seen in books and on the Internet.

“Years ago, Sir Doyle wrote a series of what was supposed to be fictional memoirs…or so people think. In fact, he didn’t write them…and they weren’t fictional. I gave them to him to forever immortalize my friend’s work throughout history.”

It took a few moments for his words to sink in. Katharine missed a couple of steps and nearly ran into another Aquapolian couple. After they recovered, she laughed and shook her head as if she thought he was insane. “No…are you telling me Sherlock Holmes was a real person?”

“I am. I knew him quite well, in fact. It’s a shame that the general public will forever think of him as ficticious, but his powers of deduction were so great, Doyle thought that no one would believe that the memoirs were true.”

“So, if he was real…then that makes you Dr. John Watson,” Katharine finished, pleased with herself in deducing the answer to his identity. At the same time, she could hardly believe her ears. While she herself was a myth, it was still shocking to hear that a character you thought had been fictitious for years had actually lived and breathed.

“Yes, although I prefer my legendary name at the moment,” Giratina replied, his opal eyes following the line of faces that surrounded the dance floor.

“You’re the exact opposite of my father, then. He hates being called his legendary name to his face,” Katharine muttered. She could understand his discomfort. It was still weird when Colin tripped up and accidently called her Quamachi in everyday conversation. With no recollection of her legendary life and after going through twenty years of her mortal life, sometimes she thought he was addressing someone else. It was amusing, however, when Colin slipped and called her father Reshiram. The priest had taken to glaring at his advisor every time he did that.

“He’ll get used to it the more time he spends at the Cave of Origin.” The power of dimension paused. “We’ve been waiting for the two of you to visit us.”

“I apologize. Father’s job was too far away for him to make a trip there…and I never had the chance to when I was in school here…” In reality, Katharine had always been a bit nervous about visiting the legendary temple, as if it held secrets she did not wish to learn…

“Well, after the inauguration, we look forward to seeing you there…” Giratina trailed off and slowed to a stop, his eyes fixed on something behind her. He had a shocked look on his face which made her stomach twist with unease. If a legendary who had lived through thousands and thousands of years of history was shocked by something, you know that what he had seen was pretty amazing.

When she turned around, she was sure that no amount of legendary shock could stand up to the identity of the person who was standing at the edge of the dance floor. While she couldn’t figure out why he surprised Giratina, she was dead certain that she had seen a ghost.

Giratina recovered in a few moments and gave her a stiff bow. “I apologize, but I must talk to the Champion before the night is over. Good-bye, Katharine.” With that, he escaped from the dance floor, albeit more stiffly than he had entered onto it.

Katharine barely recognized his absence…barely heard the music and the chatter around her…and barely felt her feet touch the floor as she walked toward the figure that had so shocked the two legendaries.

Standing at nearly six feet, the young man almost towered over her. His dark brown hair and grey eyes sharply contrasted her golden blonde hair and Aquapolian crystal blue eyes. He gave her a sad smile. “Hi, Katharine,” He breathed, ducking his head.

It took her an entire minute before she could even form a credible word, and even then, all she could do was whisper, “Grayson…” The room around them grew deathly silent as both young adults struggled to find the right words.

Finally, Grayson cleared his throat and held his arm out for her to take. “Why don’t we dance?” He suggested as she threaded her arm through his, her touch barely feeling the fabric of his suit. As if in a dream, she let him lead her onto the dance floor, wrapping his arm around her waist and taking her hand. She delicately placed her own hand on his shoulder, as if one too-hard touch would cause him to disappear.

The first few spins around the dancefloor were magical. All she could see were Grayson’s soft grey eyes, the way he smiled at her as if they had met for the first time. Everything in the world disappeared, except for them and the jewled rivers that spread across the marble floors. It seemed as if they responded to every footstep of theirs, sending ripples through the marble.

The feeling of weightlessness was quickly replaced by anger. One moment, she was attracted to him, clung to him as if he were the last person on Earth. The next moment, she was so repulsed by him, she tried to pull away, stopped only by his firm hand on her waist.

“I thought you were dead…” She breathed.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry for everything, Katharine. I just…I just couldn’t tell you why…”

She glared at him. “Then tell me now.”

“It’s complicated.”

“In case you haven’t noticed, my life now defines complicated.”

He laughed, forcing a smile to cross her lips. “Can’t we just leave our past behind us?”

“Grayson…” She sighed. “You can’t just show back up after years of being gone and expect us to start right back where we left off.”

“Then we won’t.” She gave him a confused look. “We’ll start all over again. Getting to know each other in a new way. Please, Katharine…I’ve been looking forward to this for years.”

“Then tell me why you left.”

Grayson paused. “I can’t right now. In time, I’ll tell you.”

Katharine sighed, leaning closer to him until their foreheads touched. “Promise you will never leave me again.”

He smiled. “I promise.”

------------

“Well, that was a very successful inauguration ball, if I do say so myself,” Wallace said, leaning back in his chair.

“It was a tense one politically. All of the American representatives were on edge except for the president,” Drake commented.

“That’s because Roberts has always been very pro-Aquapolian.”

“Yes, but that does us no good if his entire cabinent and Congress are against us.” Drake turned to Patrick. “Where there any legendaries there tonight?”

“Just one that I know of. Giratina.”

Drake nodded. “He usually comes to the balls. Of course, he missed a few during his mortal life in the late nineteenth century…Sometimes, others show up, and, of course, the Aquapolian Cardinal’s advisor is always there.”

“Is it strange that there were not more…?”

“No. Usually there are…but these are dark times. The legendaries probably prefer to stay within the walls of the Cave of Origin these days.”

The door to Wallace’s office opened, and Katharine slipped in. “Ah, there’s my Vice-Champion,” Wallace said. “How was your night?” He asked with a mischievous grin.

She rolled her eyes. “It was good. I met some legendaries, talked to some ambassadors…the Legendary Team had a good time…”

“I heard Rowan and Walker got into quite a heated debate.”

“It would have been more so if Cyrus hadn’t stopped them.”

“So, who was that guy you were dancing with at the end?”

She could feel herself blushing. “What guy?”
“Come on, Katharine, you know the guy I’m talking about,” Wallace said in a teasing voice as he leaned forward in his chair, all ears. Curious about what the young Champion was talking about, her grandfather and father turned around to hear more, their eyes trained on her. She could feel herself blushing even more ferociously. Grayson was not a subject to be brought up in front of them.

Thankfully, though, Wallace hadn’t seemed to recognize him. Grayson had been an old school friend of hers…and more. Their relationship had finally evolved to the point where they could have been called lovers when, one day, he suddenly failed to show up to school. She tried calling his cell phone…he had lived alone ever since his parents died when they were thirteen and he had no other family members. He had just disappeared without a trace. She had been grief-stricken. Inconsolable. The only other people on the planet who had realized how broken she had been at his disappearance were Dawn, Eric, and Rowan. She hadn’t even told her father about him…

…but since they were starting all over again, now would be a good time for her to tell Patrick exactly who he was. Nervously, she shuffled her feet, cursing the high heels that pinched her toes. “Oh, that was Grayson Strauss, and old…school friend of mine.” She said nonchalantly, as if he wasn’t a big deal to her.

She froze as a dark look passed over Wallace’s face. A few blinks more, however, and she started to wonder if she had imagined that. She had never told Wallace about Grayson…why in the world would he have been so angry? Suddenly, she felt extremely tired.

“I think I’m going to head back to the apartment. I’m tired and we have the inauguration tomorrow.”

“I’ll go with you,” Patrick said. They said good-bye to Wallace and Drake and headed for the elevator. They rode in silence for a few moments before he spoke. “Did Giratina speak to you about visiting the Cave of Origin?”

She nodded. “Do you want to go after the inauguration?”

There was silence for a few more moments as he thought that over. “Yes…”

“We should go with Colin.”

Another few moments of silence passed before he turned to her, a concerned look on his face. “Is everything okay?”

“Everything’s fine.”

“You seemed upset with Grayson Strauss.”

“I had the right to be,” Katharine muttered. “He left without warning years ago. Everyone thought he was dead or entered the Shadow Forces.”

“Why?” Patrick asked.

She sighed. “Because he belonged to a family of Shadow Followers, but he was known to be against the movement. Either his parents forced him into the army or he was made to…disappear because he refused to fight with them.”

“How are you so sure he hasn’t joined the Shadow Forces?”

“There’s no shadow energy around him. Growing up, he was so adamantly against the Forces, he would have to have been Shadowficated to join them.”

“Has he told you why he left?”

“No…” She sighed. “Not yet.”

The elevator slowed to a stop. She took a few steps out into the lobby before he spoke. “Were the two of you close?”

She froze, then turned back to him. “Yes…very.” With that, she left the lobby, leaving him to follow after her.

------------

Her phone rang a few hours after they returned home. She had fallen asleep in her bed, still in her ballgown. She groaned, reaching across to her nightstand to answer it. “Hello?” She asked groggily.

“Hi, Katharine. I’m sorry if I woke you up,” Grayson said.

She sprang into a sitting position, her eyes wide. “No, no, no, it’s totally fine. Did you get home okay?”

“Yes…” His voice was a bit confused. “I actually live pretty close to the Forest of Origin. It’s a pretty safe neighborhood.”

“Good, good…listen…I’m sorry about hounding you tonight…”

“I understand, Katharine. If I were in your position, I would want some answers as well.”

“You’re right…we should just…just start over.”

“We should.”

Katharine smiled. “We should meet in a few days. After everything is over.”

“That would be great.”

“Good night.”

“Good night, Katharine.”

She hung up, a huge smile plastered across her face.

------------

“No, no, no…stand up straighter,” Jessica snapped. Katharine tried to do so, but seemed to fail. Jessica rolled her eyes. “Well, at least you look good in the military uniform…though it’s a bit big on you.” She wrinkled her nose.

“I’m sure the Aquapolian Cardinal doesn’t have to go through all this…” She muttered.

“As the only woman on the Elite Four right now, you’re the only one.”

“Lucky me,” she sighed.

“Now, pay attention. Everyone’s going to be looking at you, especially since Champion Sootopolis kept his choice for Vice-Champion secret for so long.”

“Lovely.”

“Take advantage of it. Put your kill face on. Every military officer in the country is going to mutter about the little girl who had become their commander-in-chief. Show them you could rip anyone to shreds with just one look. Your eyes are fierce when you want them to be. Use that.”

“Thanks for the tip,” she said, truly grateful.

Jessica sent her off with a good luck. Katharine took a few nervous breaths as she stepped into the room where the other three Elite Four stood. Drake looked his usual intimidating self. Wallace looked every bit the Champion as his predecessor. Her father had shed his nervousness, it seemed. Standing before her was the priest who had taken charge of the battle at the Vatican, taken up arms against the Shadow Forces to protect the holy ground. She hoped that she looked just as powerful as they did.

“Okay…” Wallace said. “Let’s do this.”

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
Character of the Chapter
Detective Zach Nichols
Canon: Law and Order: Criminal Intent
Occupation: Detective on the New York City Major Case Squad’s Shadow Forces Crime Division
Type: Psychic
Harnessed Power at the Final Fight of Angels and Demons: Sky
Short Bio: As a detective on New York City’s Major Case Squad’s Shadow Forces Crime Division, Nichols has dealt with the worst Shadow Followers in America, tracking down those who murder humans. He and his partner Serena Stevens have worked together for the past five years solving these Aquapolian-on-human crimes. Before the events of Angels and Demons, the captain of the Major Case Squad was murdered, delaying Nichols and Stevens from arriving in Rome to help the Legendary Team out. Luckily, after the team was banished by the pope, Nichols was able to sneak into Rome and help Katharine and Patrick break into the Shadow Forces’ base.

14: Inaugration

“Today, we watch as a new Elite Four rises to lead our country in these troubled times. We pray that God will give them the strength and courage to guide Aquapolis into a new era and to destroy the darkness that has fallen over our planet.” The head monk of the Cave of Origin turned to Drake. “First, for our new Elite Elder, our last great Champion, who guided us through the first dark days we had had in millennia.” He held up a copy of the Bible. Drake placed his hand on it as the monk spoke. “I, the Elite Elder of Aquapolis.”

“I, the Elite Elder of Aquapolis.” Drake echoed.

“Do so solemnly swear that I will lead my troops against the armies of darkness.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will lead my troops against the armies of darkness.”

“That I will stand as a symbol of the Aquapolian government.”

“That I will stand as a symbol of the Aquapolian government.”

“And that I will use my experience as Champion to counsel the next Champion in all matters.”

“And that I will use my experience as Champion to counsel the next Champion in all matters.”

“I, Drake Blackthorn, do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

“I, Drake Blackthorn, do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

Patrick’s turn was next. “Now, we greet our new Aquapolian Cardinal, the camerlengo of the Catholic Church who stepped up to protect the church during last summer’s dark days.” Patrick placed his hand on the Bible as the monk continued. “I, the Aquapolian Cardinal.”

“I, the Aquapolian Cardinal.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will be a religious diplomat to the Vatican from Aquapolis.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will be a religious diplomat to the Vatican from Aquapolis.”

“That I will serve as a guide from God for the people of Aquapolis.”

“That I will serve as a guide from God for the people of Aquapolis.”

“And that I will counsel with the legendaries on how best to protect this country and the Earth from the forces of darkness.”

“And that I will counsel with the legendaries on how best to protect this country and the Earth from the forces of darkness.”

“I, Patrick McKenna, do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

“I, Patrick McKenna, do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

Now, it was Katharine’s turn. She took a deep breath and stepped forward to take her father’s place. As he passed her, he gave her a reassuring smile and a warm hand on her shoulder. She felt stronger as she stepped up to the monk.

“The Vice-Champion is an important position within the Elite Four. His or her job is to lead our armies and to learn from the Champion the ways of the higher office. By serving the first ten years, a Vice-Champion learns how to lead for the next ten years of his or her life. Our new Vice-Champion is a bright, intelligent, and powerful young woman who has conquered many a tournament and has show outstanding character. May she serve the country well now and as our leader in the future.” Katharine placed her hand on the Bible. “I, the Vice-Champion of Aquapolis.”

“I, the Vice-Champion of Aquapolis.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will lead the armies of Aquapolis against all foreign threats.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will lead the armies of Aquapolis against all foreign threats.”

“That I will learn to walk in the ways of the Champion before me.”

“That I will learn to walk in the ways of the Champion before me.”

“And that I will serve as a symbol of the immortality of Aquapolis.”

“And that I will serve as a symbol of the immortality of Aquapolis.”

“I, Katharine McKenna do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

“I, Katharine McKenna do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

Wallace stepped up to take Katharine’s place. “As other countries look to their leaders for judgment, guidance, and protection, so do we to our Champion. Since the Great War, each Champion, whether he or she walked in light or darkness, has become the very symbol of Aquapolian power and diplomacy. Today, we swear in a Champion under dark skies and after the darkness of the former Champion’s reign. May he lead us into brighter days and strengthen our fragile ties with the human states.” The head monk turned to Wallace. “I, the Champion of Aquapolis.”

“I, the Champion of Aquapolis.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will preserve all ties with human states who have signed Aquapolian peace treaties.”

“Do so solemnly swear that I will preserve all ties with human states who have signed Aquapolian peace treaties.”

“That I will take counsel from my Elite Elder in the ways of the Champion.”

“That I will take counsel from my Elite Elder in the ways of the Champion.”

“And that I will lead Aquapolis to the best of my ability.”

“And that I will lead Aquapolis to the best of my ability.”

“I, Wallace Sootopolis do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

“I, Wallace Sootopolis do so pledge in front of the people of Aquapolis.”

The crowd’s roar seemed dull in Katharine’s ears as she stared out at the people of Ever Grande. That moment was so surreal…it seemed no more real than watching the Shadow Army descend upon the Vatican. She had been confident before about helping lead the people of Aquapolis.

But now, she was terrified. What did she think she was about to do? True, she led a group of misfit Aquapolians against the Shadow Army…but that was nothing compared to leading the country…and then, ten years down the line, she would be Champion.

After the ceremony ended, it was all she could do to stop herself from bolting before the meet-and-greet with top Aquapolian officials. She just smiled and tried to keep from shaking too much, but her nervousness was showing through. She cursed herself when President Roberts, who obviously picked up on her anxiety, put a warm hand on her shoulder, shook her hand, and said, “I can’t wait to see what kind of Champion you’ll make. May God be with you.”

“And also with you,” she echoed, giving him a smile. She watched as the president exited the stage, flanked only by a few Secret Service men. She wondered why he hadn’t brought more with him. The crowd dispersed pretty quickly, returning to their homes to celebrate the new era with their families. After a time, the only people in the square were the Elite Four and the Legendary Team.

Stevens grimaced as Katharine made her way down the stairs from the platform to join them. “Those look painful,” she said, gesturing to the Vice-Champion’s high heels.

“Yes, well, my stylist insisted I wear them,” she complained, sliding both off.

“Maybe because you’re so short,” Rowan said.

“Yes, they’re good for making women tall and stabbing annoying professors.”

“Ouch. Threats this early in your vice-presidency?”

“Not threats, Professor. Only promises.”

“Who’s ready to move this party to the Cave of Origin?” Colin called out from the podium.

“Isn’t that a private ceremony?” Langdon asked.

“Yes, but I have been informed by the powers that be that the legendaries wish to meet the Legendary Team. Kind of a legendary get together, I guess,” Colin said.
“And who are these powers that be?” Indy asked. Katharine thought the professor looked strange without his trademark fedora resting on top of his greying hair. In addition, he looked uncomfortable in the suit he was wearing.

“The six powers to be exact,” Colin answered, jumping down from the podium. “They’ve been waiting to meet the team that harnessed their abilities to save the world. Of course…that is…if y’all want to see the inside of the Cave of Origin…”

“Yes!” Nearly every academic in the group shouted in unison. This was a rare opportunity, especially for Langdon, who studied Aquapolian religion. Though the Aquapolians were Christian, their denomination revolved around the legendaries as warriors of God. Very few, if any, mortals were invited to the Cave of Origin…and almost none by the six powers themselves.

“Then let’s go!” Colin said abruptly, striding off in the direction of the Forest of Origin. Katharine was sure that, given the chance, the professors would have loved to grab a notebook or camera or anything to document what they saw that day…but all of them were too stunned by this sudden opportunity to do anything but follow the legendary. The Elite Four brought up the rear of the group, Katharine still walking on bear feet.

“This is your first time inside the Cave of Origin?” Drake asked Patrick as they drew nearer to the Forest of Origin. Katharine glanced over at her father, surprised to see a look of dread on his face. Sure, she was nervous about meeting such powerful beings…but it seemed as if he expected something terrible to happen…some dark revelation to occur in the hallowed halls of that ancient temple. He was the last person on Earth who should fear such a thing, she thought. He had done so much to save this world…why should he dread the very beings he fought alongside?

“Yes, it is…” He said, distracted by the forest around them. In a matter of seconds, they were plunged into the greenest forest Katharine had ever been in. There was no pathway for them to walk along…only the one that seemed to reside in Colin’s head as he picked his way over fallen logs and around rocks. The entire woods was completely silent…no Pokemon lived here, just the legendaries.

Everyone remained quiet as they trudged through, most of the members of the team doing so out of awe. It was as if they had stepped back in time to a place that existed before humans…even before Aquapolians. From what Katharine had read, the Forest of Origin, the Temple of Origin, and the Cave of Origin existed outside of time and space, fixed to its current location by the powers of the legendaries inside of it…especially that of Dialga and Palkia.

As the Temple of Origin came into sight, a voice rose from one of the branches above their heads. “What business do you have with the warriors of God?”

Katharine strained her neck to look up at a man roughly a few years older than her. His dark brown hair was strained through with rusty red, and his eyes were a light, mud brown color. He held a strong-looking bow in his hand, an arrow already strung through it, ready to fly at a moments’ notice. Colin stepped out to the front of the group, raising his arms in front of him as if in surrender.

“Calm down, Terrakion, it’s just me,” he said in a teasing voice. The man glared down at him, though recognition sparked in his eyes. He lowered the bow, his gaze trailing over the rest of the group. Katharine tried to stand up straighter, wondering how one man’s gaze could be so judgmental.

“It doesn’t look like just you…” His eyes lingered on first Patrick, then Katharine, his gaze turning curious in an instant. “So this is the famous Legendary Team?” He nodded. “Others would say you may not look like much, but most do not know of what you accomplished last summer.”

He nimbly jumped down from the tree, striding toward Katharine. Up close, she realized that he looked to be the same age as Colin, several years younger than he looked up in that tree…maybe it was the change in perspective, now that she could look him in the eye without straining her neck…much.

“We’ve waited several decades for your return, Quamachi…and several more for you, Reshiram,” he said, nodding to Katharine and Patrick in turn. “Welcome back home.” Before either could respond, he raised his head and whistled in the direction of another stand of trees across from them.

Apparently, the girl that appeared had been camoflouged all along, her green clothes matching exactly with the foliage around her. She had deep, forest green eyes and the same color dark brown hair as Terrakion. She also carried a bow, though hers was much smaller and sleeker.

“Keep watch as I take them to the temple, Virizion.”

She nodded once, then disappeared again. Katharine realized that these two, plus Colin, comprised the elemental sword trio of the legendaries. She wondered if they were always put on guard duty. Since Cobalion was currently serving as the advisor to the Aquapolian Cardinal, She guessed he got some time off from that job.

Terrakion led the way through the forest, over several small streams and rock faces. The eerie silence of the forest was starting to get to me, and Katharine glanced back to see if anyone else felt the same way. Everyone seemed on edge, even Rowan and House, who were both always pretty calm in any situation. Cyrus and Langdon simply gaped around them in awe. This forest was millennia old…it was as if they had stepped back in time.

Finally, a large entrance gaped in front of them, lit up only by small crystal lights. Katharine tried to look up at the façade around it, but it was completely covered in leaves and foliage.

harryheart

Chapter 9

YAY! I've read a bit more, so sorry for that long haul of a wait! It was nice to get back into the world of Aquapolis, and it was enjoyable at that.

A really nice chapter with great character interactions as always! I think the way you do speech and the simple movements from one person to another works really well. You seem to have a natural knack in social interactions and social conversations.

A nice twist there at the end too! I look forward to seeing their part in all this too!!!